Author Topic: OOC Chat  (Read 793465 times)

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
Re: GCW: OOC
« Reply #1095 on: August 29, 2012, 12:46:23 PM »
First off, I was doing a Diplomacy Mission, not a Conquest Mission.

Secondly, look at Bastion again, and note the Imperial Sector Palace I ordered on August 15th, which I paid for with my own money. Additionally, my time on Rothana (despite some late Milestone SLs) was more than enough to satisfy all Milestone requirements. All other extra requirements such as replacing the PDF and building an ISP I completed successfully.

Thirdly, please send me a PM next time you want to call me out on something.

Mission accomplished.

Edit: Also, while we are on the subject, do we see my point now with having all this structure to do anything? This is going to produce confusion and mistakes across the board. We need to just have a simple mission in place for diplomacy and all other actions are dictated by the SL accompanying it. Also, why are there so many rewards for attacking a planet? If anything there should be penalties for taking over a planet violently. This has us basically being rewarded for an occupation, which if we look through history, occupations ALWAYS fail, and they cost huge sums of money. I just makes no sense to me.

We do have simple missions in place... they are called Invasion and Accession Treaty. Conquest and Diplomacy are prolonged missions that prevent your Hero and fleet from really doing anything else, and every RPG has rewards for those.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:54:05 PM by GCW Hale »
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1096 on: August 29, 2012, 09:51:47 PM »
Actually I wasnt calling you out, I was asking a question about the system in which you explained to me before, but wern't going along with now, but I also see in the other posts where the stuff is. Another inherent problem with the prolonged time system, things get filed away and forgotten about by the time anything is accomplished.

And as you have stated on more then 1 occasion, this is not an RPG, its an RTS. RTS games are supposed to be based off of reality, and I can name you a number of them that impose penalties for "occupying" another territory through force. Penalties ranging from increased building times such as various command and conquer games, all the way up too riots and underground resistance with some of the Civ games.

So I guess what im trying to say is either way you argue it, the mission system simply doesnt fit the game. As an RPG its too limiting to allow proper SLing and character growth by making everything a simple black and white, and as an RTS it doesnt fit as its not realistic to the events they encounter.

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #1097 on: August 30, 2012, 10:29:58 AM »
Finding that balance between the perfect amount of rules and free-flowing gameplay is an incredible challenge. Between Combat Fatigue and the Logistics rules for Ground Combat, that seems to be "enough" for me (as I see the game) to "keep it simple". More restrictive penalties for invasions could be applied, but I would err on encouraging people to blow shit up as opposed to challenging them with rules and forcing them to count the cost of war before going into battle. When you boil everything down, this game is about collecting income, building war machines, and going to battle. So on one end GCW is very much an RTS in terms of the macro-management, but how you micro-manage your fleet and your Hero I believe adds an important RPG element as well.

I know I have been dropping hints that Quests are in the works -- believe me I am developing Quests for all Hero classes, but this takes time. These quests won't be so much about Conquest and Diplomacy but rather exploring the galaxy and expanding your Hero's capabilities by undertaking unique challenges, etc. I do very much want to increase the RPG elements of GCW as I think that is as much of a draw to play the game as the RTS elements are, but for right now we'll have to settle for blowing shit up. =) Right now for the Jedi I am working on "Rebuilding the Jedi Order" as well as the comparable "Rebuilding the Sith Order" for the Sith Hero. If you have any suggestions for Quests feel free to drop them in my PM box.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:32:49 AM by GCW Hale »
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1098 on: August 30, 2012, 06:16:57 PM »
Quests are cool and all, but where is this big flashpoint we wern't going to be able to ignore?

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #1099 on: August 30, 2012, 06:27:33 PM »
It's just around the corner. My secret developer and I have been working close together this past month and are anticipated production finish was the end of this month... and we're putting on our finishing touches now to make everything look good. I have Navy Reserve this weekend so I can guarantee you our launch won't be very soon, but it will be soon... mwahahahah!
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1100 on: September 02, 2012, 10:31:04 AM »
Ok heres another question then, wasnt I supposed to get 1000KC to use to build both Bakura and Bespin? Ive never gotten anything for finishing those 2, and Bakura I did use the mission system on, but you went and changed it after I was already done... which is where my whole question line regarding your post came from.

I mean I guess if you tell me to go fuck myself I wont have much choice, but that seems real shoddy as I finish my mission lines with these planets but dont get any reward because well, go fuck yourself you were using old rules... My my my that would almost feel like I was playing a... facebook clicky. I may feel obligated to take offense to that. lol

Offline Dementat

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1101 on: September 02, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »
Bespin was an INVASION. No reward is given. You did build a facility of some sort, right?
Bakura was... DIPLOMACY? I can't tell due to the lack of storyline and I don't remember the old mission rules before they changed. I could see allowing the bonus for Bakura, though I think we all would enjoy more storyline than that next time.

What are your thoughts, Hail?

Oh, and Ramano, damn you! I was gonna scan Thyferra, lol. Guess I'll move to another target.
(\/)ighty RE

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #1102 on: September 02, 2012, 02:55:02 PM »
I concur! More story line! All that conquest and war must make someone frisky. Let's see a little scandalous behavior! And where the hell is erasmar? Jonsing for some hapan drama.
Syren

Offline Dementat

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1103 on: September 02, 2012, 03:05:54 PM »
Yeah, if Erasmar doesn't show some interest, I might have to take his beloved Onderon away.
(\/)ighty RE

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1104 on: September 02, 2012, 03:19:32 PM »
Bespin was an INVASION. No reward is given. You did build a facility of some sort, right?
Bakura was... DIPLOMACY? I can't tell due to the lack of storyline and I don't remember the old mission rules before they changed. I could see allowing the bonus for Bakura, though I think we all would enjoy more storyline than that next time.

What are your thoughts, Hail?

Oh, and Ramano, damn you! I was gonna scan Thyferra, lol. Guess I'll move to another target.

Uhh... thats not good, I choose thyferra cause its a bit away from everyone. LoL.

I dont remember the old rules off hand either, but it was like 4 SLs with 5 days in between which I did, but people where in the process of screwing with shit when I was finishing so I believe thats where the SL dropped off at to just quick one line bullshit, lol.

Also, from looking through the rules, whats the difference between conquest and invasion. Looks like the same mission, just one gets rewards the other doesnt?

Edit: And unless someone else is planning on sending fleet, can Dem and I get a waiver of the 24hr posting rule and get this show on the road?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:22:42 PM by Ramano »

Offline Dementat

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1105 on: September 02, 2012, 03:32:42 PM »
The difference between Conquest and Invasion is that Conquest gives rewards due to it tying up your fleet for a period of time.

As for Thyferra, no need to rush. It is the beginning of the month and I will be doing a 16 hour shift tonight. We are so overstaffed that they are forcing us to do overtime against our will  ;)  Yeah, they want to lay people off, lol!
(\/)ighty RE

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1106 on: September 03, 2012, 11:31:21 AM »
Ok so I had a thought, which will in the long run probably hurt me more then help me, but about the UCR ratings for damage. I get that a lower UCR should do less damage, but what about ships that are beating the UCR ratings by extreme amounts? Shouldn't a UCR rating of over 1 give a damage bonus? For example, I have a craft with a 4 UCR and im going against a craft with only say a 2 UCR, shouldnt we get a damage bonus for that?

Why not just make the UCR universal on both ends of the spectrum, a higher UCR gives damage bonus. Say we have a 5/3, shouldnt that give a 1.6 modifier for damage instead of just full damage? Not to mention this would make Tie Fighters invaluable as they are the only thing in the game with an 8 UCR.

Edit: Also it doesnt really change anything as no one really uses the calculator anyway, so when you figure your UCR you just completely transfer the number over, whether it be a bonus or penalty, and adds another element of strategy to the game by having to carefully choose which units attack what, as you could end up on the raw end of a 2x+ damage modifier.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:33:56 AM by Ramano »

Offline Dementat

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1107 on: September 03, 2012, 02:02:09 PM »
I don't know, it seems to me that this would ruin the spirit of the game. It will send everyone immediately to the ships with the highest UCRs, and I already don't like that we aren't seeing any Dreadnaughts or Lancer Frigates out there. I appreciate nostalgia, and am disappointed that we didn't think to put a cap on Elite fighters as per fleet instead of per ship. This is just my opinion, as a purist.
(\/)ighty RE

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1108 on: September 03, 2012, 11:43:38 PM »
The "Elite" fighters are per fleet. The Elite Z-95 isnt really an elite fighter, in fact, its even weaker then an X-Wing. Its just the name.

Edit: And for the record, those LAAT/c's are not old ships lol. They are re-designed with upgraded technology and space flight capable... AND THEY ARNT CHEAP ASSHOLE!!! Lmao!

Edit Edit: And you could field all A-Wings and MC-60s (the highest UCR stuff Rebs have) and it still wouldnt match an ISDs firepower, even against the SSD which would give the A-Wings a 6x damage multiplier. However, the VSD would instantly become the most feared ship in the game, lol.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:53:04 PM by Ramano »

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1109 on: September 04, 2012, 10:08:26 AM »
And just a quick clarification, what im doing at Thyferra is a CONQUEST mission yes?