Author Topic: Simming Discussion  (Read 207438 times)

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
Re: Game Discussion
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2014, 05:21:21 PM »
Good god, I saw the post count go up for this board and was about to lose my mind wondering how people were able to do that much in the last 24 hours. Then saw the thread relocation.

I've outlined my first little backstory adventure, should be able to produce it using three posts if I can modify my writing style properly. Maaaybe first post up tomorrow, though I do have quite a bit of real work to accomplish tomorrow and no time after hours.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 05:23:53 PM »
I've started the first origin story, which I hope to fit into one really f'ing long post. First time I've written prose in ... more than 12 months.

This has done the trick!  8-)

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2014, 01:50:17 PM »
I wish I could write faster... though from experience in the past, the beginning bits are always slowest and things go faster once I'm into the story world.

Curious how some of you approach your writing? Prepartion? Planning? Do you draft fast then go back and rework it, or work slow?

I'll be happy with 300-400 words a day at the moment.. well not happy, but that's about what I expect from myself. But its 'good writing' not throw-away stuff.

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »
You have your characters...now think about how you'd like them to evolve or what you want them to accomplish. This may be the distant future or even an endpoint. But it's something to aim for. Start the journey there. It's a slow-build as characters, like people, develop and change with the circumstances they are faced with. The beauty of storylining with others, as you will be doing now, is that you can play off the situations they throw into the mix. These situations may alter your character, bringing them closer to where you see them eventually. Med and I PM periodically to touch base on things we are thinking or what we see happening. A lot of what we envisioned for these characters take place years from where we are now. It's all about getting there. The smaller events that shape who the characters become.

The first few posts should just be establishing shots, setting things up, letting the audience get a feel for who they will be experiencing. Move outward from there. It's fun! And therapeutic in a way.

:-*
Syren

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »
In the past, writing on here I haven't had too much of a plan, only a vague end point and the first steps of getting there, and that has probably worked against me. But right now, because I'm trying for shorter, contained narratives, I'm making an extremely rough outline of every post from start to finish. As in:

Post 1: Basic plot point
   - Scene 1 (3-5 word description)
   - Scene 2 (again)
   - Scene 3 (again)

Post 2: etc.

When I'm writing for real I don't outline, or try not to. I usually just start by writing the characters, or letting the characters write themselves, for several pages. I have a general idea of a story or setting, but I'm more concerned about capturing experience. More about characters, less about plots. But that's what I tend to read anyway. As for editing, I try not to touch anything for at least a week. I find when I re-read something too soon, I don't pick up on things that I may have done "wrong" (dumb idioms, useless adverbs, over "telling") -- things that I don't like to read -- because I'm still reading it in the voice that I used to write it. I need to wander from it for a time.

I also write poetry, but I think of that as a terrible habit. I spend pretty much no time on that. Usually one-shot, write something over a couple hours, never tweak. It's a quick fix for having a "finished" work.

My favorite books are Europe Central, Shadow Country, and House of Leaves, though I'm currently working my way through Gravity's Rainbow and, while confusing, Pynchon's style is mesmerizing and brilliant and hilarious once you get into the rhythm.

But I still make room for junk food, like the Stormlight Archives, The Expanse novels, and the X-Wing series, which I never read during my sprint through the EU novels.

---

I guess my point is, I write what I like to read, and I avoid writing what I don't like to read. And I write in a way that pleases me and makes me feel like I'm communicating effectively to other human beings. I've found that I've changed a lot. Sometimes I barely recognize serious writings of mine from a few years ago. My focus might or might not be different from Sy's, and yet these methods work for us, so it comes down to trial and error.

If you're having any trouble writing, read more, but do it 3/4 for pleasure and 1/4 for research. Pay attention to things that bother you and things that excite you. Make sure part of your mind is being critical while the rest is being entertained.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:05:38 PM by Erasmar »
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2014, 09:34:11 PM »
Those books look right up my alley.

I've really enjoyed most of the books by William Boyd, and both of Justin Cronin's vampire books (of which I am going to borrow quite a bit for the setup of my characters, without shame!!).

I have been using my gym time to let my mind wander with the characters and try to imagine the scenes and what not. I have the idea of how the things will end, but all the stuff inbetween, i only have certain glimpses of certain moments. But more are accumulating. I'm pretty sure I need to think in general terms while working out, and figure out specifics while im sitting down and writing. I think I have to learn to accept that 200-300 words a day is good for beginning something new, and from past experience, once into the narrative it gets its own legs and writing speed really picks up (for better or worse).

I guess being patient and having faith in the process is the thing I'm needing most to learn.

I'm very impatient to see my story - that vauge and complete feeling that identifies it in my mind - on the board and translated into scenes and dialogue! Need to use that desire as a carrot/stick device to keep myself moving.

Then when we're writing in tandem with others, I imagine things will be very different and I look forward to that too.

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2014, 09:35:31 PM »
Agreed. Everyone has a method but characters are the central focus. Since our storyline is more of a holo drama, it's written like one. Central story with supporting characters and subplots that feed into the main arc. Some are multi post episodes while others can be wrapped up in one. I will back off the main characters and their drama for a while and dive into the supporting cast that surrounds them. It's nice to get in their heads now and again. Bret Easton Ellis has been my go to novelist since I was a tween. I can emulate some of that because his characters, my characters and my own real life have similarities. So reading does help. It gets me inspired, eager to create my own drama within the carefully drawn universe medivh and I have created for ourselves. Even with our busy lives, careers, relationships, family, we can carry on with what we've built and I am extremely proud of that.

Do what works for you. Have fun with it. Go wild.
Syren

Offline Rinny

• SWSF Member
    • @rinskiroo
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2014, 07:02:53 PM »
Holy shit I don't check this site for a couple of weeks and look what happens... This is hands down my favorite time period to write in so I will definitely be making myself at home here. ;)  Going to wade through the rest of the posts and see what's up!

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2014, 05:30:02 PM »
Join us, Rinny. Idea is to freestyle it with some collaboration smack in the middle of the creation of the Empire and the Battle of Yavin. Best if people mostly play Rebels.

I'm in the middle of my first post now. Might be able to finish it tonight.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline Rinny

• SWSF Member
    • @rinskiroo
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2014, 06:00:47 PM »
I want to play but I don't know what I want to do.  Instead I made a timeline of all my non-Flashpoint characters.  Woo.

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »
Sorry I've been out, felt good to bang out another post though. I need to catch up on Crime and Punishment.

Also reminds me I need to buy a new copy of that book after I left it in a Brooklyn hotel on a work trip. I was half-way through it too.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2014, 08:54:05 PM »
I'm working on the next installment of Crime & Punishment right now. Definitely going to see the lines that define society get blurred and contrasted to extremes if you're into that sorta thing.

If anyone wants to contribute a guest post, one-shot, two-part, or otherwise let me know! Nar Shaddaa is pretty open in terms of potential character development.
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2014, 07:03:44 PM »
Chugga-chugga-chugga-chugga.. .. .. CHEW CHEW

Slough-ly butt Shirley!
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Rinny

• SWSF Member
    • @rinskiroo
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »
Hey guys just a heads up I'm going to be 'gone' most of July and August.  I'll still have the internet, but will be very busy/traveling.  We're not moving very fast so I don't think it will be a problem to stay involved just thought I'd let you all know!

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2014, 02:44:31 PM »

No sweat Rin, no hurries.  It's tumultuous at work over last few weeks, quite a personnel shake up in the upper echelons so haven't had quite the recreational time I'm used to either. But I'm still hard at work when I can on our group story!  Hopefully I can get another chunk up this weekend
~J
SWSF 'til Death