Author Topic: Simming Discussion  (Read 207833 times)

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
Re: Game Discussion
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2015, 10:51:02 AM »
Getting (re)married this weekend, so I haven't been able to devote much time to this project in the last week or two, or the next couple of weeks. But really, the core game mechanic that I think we need to figure out is how to calculate Command Points. Do we tie it to player level? Give everybody a flat rate? Upgrade it only after completing quests?

Like an RPG? People start with a certain number of points to allocate and then do shit that lets them earn more points? Or the potential to gain more points?

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2015, 03:01:59 PM »
Everyone will get a flat amount upfront to be able to command an AUX plus crew, but where we go from there and how to calculate it is the issue.
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2015, 03:04:33 PM »
I understand, my vision is what I posted. Everyone starts with X. Completing certain tasks lets them earn more points.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2015, 01:36:04 PM »
  I would think upgrades upon quest completion.  Considering that a degree of the story development would likely encompass the acquisition/gaining of loyalty/production of the resources you are adding to your Forces, you'd have to have access to the new points they'd cost upon acquiring it in story so to speak.  I think we need to custom a Quest Line for every player that has a very vague basic lay out of their objectives to progress on their intended story route- or at least be able to some how have a generic construct that is easily tied/plugged in to with a players self-determined 'Milestones' I guess.  This would almost be part of the Character Creation process I think maybe when you are crafting your start ship/crew/posse/small band/army.  So we'd all have this own Story Tree/Quest Log sort of our own to fill in on a progress chart, which is where some Quests come from.  Other Quests are more Locale specific, that is like Fruit on a Tree that is always there to pluck for anyone with the ability/reqs to do so.

The base start level for everyone of course as well, and I think based on any possibly influx of members after initial start, we can grant limited handicap bonuses if they desire to make them somewhat comparable and competitive with people who've been playing a bit already.

I don't know about any over all Level to characters themselves.  It might be easiest to keep it at a base measure of a players max CP.  So there's no level 1, 2, 3.  It's just we all start with the 50CP (or whatev it was..) and we go up.  After three months, someone may be at 105, someone at 90, someone at 120.  A new comer we could grant 10 CP per late month, so they'd start at 80.  Just some base scale measure we come up with that would put them at least keeping pace.  I think we need to limit the most a person can gain in an amount of time, but of course that is easily done with the Quests/Milestones themselves.  If it were to generally take 2weeks to complete a mid/high Quest and a mid/high end quest is about 10CP, then max you could get about 20 per month.

I don't know about setbacks, I think we should not ever lose max CP, just the resources that fill it that we would have to make up/replenish.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 01:42:50 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/11/3/star-wars-rebellion/

It's finally come full circle boys and girls. FFG has put us out of business.  :P

LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2016, 05:45:02 PM »
Looks well set up for expansions to make the galaxy bigger as they left it open in terms of what we see in those promo pics.  Curiously, this may be the first "canon galaxy map" we see that I'm aware of now since Disney takeover..

Looks interesting.  I've played tons of Armada and X-wing now, and dabbled with Imperial Assault.  All incredible games.  Can't imagine this will slack in the least bit.  Won't be investing in this one myself right away though, at least until I re-assert dominion over my basement from the kid.  I can imagine a galaxy conquest game with all those upgrade game changer cards taking 6+ hrs to play if not the better part of a weekend.
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline gallpizi

• SWSF Member
  • Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.
    • Coruscant Pulse Podcast
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2016, 09:17:51 AM »
Maybe we should start using Vassal and do X-Wing/Armada/Rebellion games against each other! :D
Simming on the SWSF in AOL since 1999.
Let's bring back the glory days!

Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.

Offline gallpizi

• SWSF Member
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2016, 10:47:25 AM »
How can we get more people on the forums and an old school sim up and running?

Offline insight

• SWSF Member
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2016, 05:19:58 PM »
Hmmmm. For it to work we would have to find people and let them know it's going on, and when.

Maybe do something on may 4th. Even just if it's a day of simming.

Offline Rinny

• SWSF Member
    • @rinskiroo
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2016, 08:46:13 PM »
Is always here.

;D

Offline insight

• SWSF Member
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2016, 11:00:41 AM »
Long form battles with many players would be hard to orchestrate now... Have to have an agreed upon system, there is a large time investment, and many people just prefer storyline.

I propose the following:

- Set up a single day, may 4th for example, as the Day of Simming.
- Everyone informs any past players they may know. Drop an email and get the word to spread.
- Find an existing generic tabletop ruleset with an easy determining factor and modify as necessary for message board use (see below)
- everyone pregenerates characters and sets back story beforehand to their liking (or not, if they would just rather show up that one day)

At the worst, it would improve communication and give a chance to reconnect with old friends. At best, the game system works and it jump-starts the older style of Simming after some further modifications.

-----

If attempted, my submission for a ruleset would be a very stripped down and altered version of octane (an indie RPG for collaborative storytelling with very little in way of stats). When you post you roll three dice and count the highest. If a conflict, a relative difficulty level is determined (0, 1, or 2) and removes the corresponding number of dice in order of highest rolled. The highest remaining die determines outcome.
5 or 6 - success. poster tells outcome
4 - partial success. poster determines outcome but target throws in a detail
3 - partial failure. target determines outcome, but poster throws in a detail
1 or 2 - failure. Target determines outcome.

Could modify further to only allow character kills/deaths on a 6 or 1(and a defense roll, perhaps). Maybe post limits (1 per person per hour) or whatnot. Just need a way to roll, really.

---

In any case, just an idea. If that gets in anyone's way with other plans, disregard - just seems like a possible way to get a quick sim going.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2016, 06:07:45 PM »

Rolled 3d6 : 6, 3, 2, total 11
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2016, 06:08:04 PM »
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 3, 2, total 6

die rolls have to be separate from any other content is only matter, because as soon as a post is edited, such as story or status and such for corrections- then it invalidates die roll with this
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:13:59 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline insight

• SWSF Member
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2016, 06:55:59 PM »
They would have to be put in separate posts for that reason. actually works better in terms of flow anyway

Offline gallpizi

• SWSF Member
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2016, 10:55:56 PM »
Only problem is it would make the flow a little weird. Die roll post, SL post. Die roll post, SL post.