Author Topic: Simming Discussion  (Read 205038 times)

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
Re: Game Discussion
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 08:14:09 PM »
I would like to be sure about the date as well. Between 19-15 BBY or so looks good. A few years after events in Revenge of the Sith?

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 08:25:56 PM »
My vote would be 16 or 15 BBY, since armed resistance to the Empire was still young but was likely gaining a little steam. And the history is wide-open, so we don't have to tip-toe around too much.

Though actually, I will only be writing memoirs from Luke's toddler years, so that's my motive really.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »
If you read earlier posts in this thread, 12 BBY seemed to be the most optimal year.

Clone Wars ended in 19 BBY, and so the first few years after that would simply be CIS Remnants rather than any flavor of Rebel Alliance.

"The Rebellion" as we know it became official in 3 BBY, and so we would probably legitimately see real "Rebel Alliance"-esque cells sometime before that. The game Force Unleashed deals with this time period the best. Jedi General Rahm Kota was launching raids against the Empire presumably as far back as 5 or 6 BBY in order to force a confrontation with Darth Vader.

If we simply did a median year, from 19 BBY to 0 BBY, it would be 9.5 BBY -- basically in an Episode III.5 sort of timeframe. This was why 9 BBY was my original proposal.

However, canon events closer to 12 BBY would seem more realistic considering this is when the Empire began integrating non-clones into the ranks in order to keep up with the manpower demands of expanding and maintaining Imperial dominance. So, tons more subjugation, oppression, and propaganda would've hit full-steam around this time I imagine.

My proposal is to go with 12 BBY, this seems to be a more "seed-planting" era for the proto-Rebellion to begin. 9 BBY might seem like a good compromise since it is the median year in the Rise of the Empire period, but it really depends on how "Rebel" we want the sim to be.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:09:18 PM by GCW Hale »
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 11:55:27 PM »
Sometimes not having an end in sight but others influencing the direction of your storyline is just the thing to keep your interest. Let it ride a little. See where it takes you. Five years ago I never would have imagined the depths we've reached. And when one chapter ends, another begins. I've seen you all throw down some serious and solid characters with powerful stories to tell only to taper off and leave us all hanging. This sounds like something that, done collectively, has potential to be riveting without consuming too much personal time. Co op for larger missions but plenty of room for character growth and exploits when someone is busy.

:-*
Syren

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 09:38:57 AM »
Hale, I saw your post about 12 BBY, but I didn't see consensus. However, that's fine with me. I'm just worried about referencing technology and events correctly. I think any point in time is going to yield some mighty fine opportunities for storytelling.

I already have my first little adventure in mind and will get started.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 09:51:57 AM »
Check out the resources I posted on the main game thread. Plenty of wookiepedia articles to pour over and get a feel for the era's technology. ISDs and VSDs are the new kids on the block. The only thing "new" by the time Episode IV rolls around are TIE-variety Fighters.
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • Let the rabbits wear glasses
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »
And T65s of course =)

Early Y-Wing versions have been out and about since Clone Wars and the modern Y-Wing was pretty old by ANH anyways.

VSDs are wide ranging by end of Clone Wars, ISDs are out there before 19BBY and becoming more and more common and mainstay as time goes on.

Also if you're in midst of watching Clone Wars series Eras, all the ships in that I'd imagine would be ripe for 12BBY era as well.  In all honesty though- the Lego store website is possibly best place to see an extensive line up of the ships and their model types from Attack of Clones thru Clone Wars era ;p
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:38:14 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 12:53:08 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

I watched Episode III last night (god they really did a shit job with those movies). I have in mind a few characters and the beginnings of a first episode to establish some of my characters. Haven't been this excited to write in awhile!

12 BBY is just fine with me too, perfect timing actually for what I want to do ... :D

And T65s of course =)

Early Y-Wing versions have been out and about since Clone Wars and the modern Y-Wing was pretty old by ANH anyways.

VSDs are wide ranging by end of Clone Wars, ISDs are out there before 19BBY and becoming more and more common and mainstay as time goes on.

Also if you're in midst of watching Clone Wars series Eras, all the ships in that I'd imagine would be ripe for 12BBY era as well.  In all honesty though- the Lego store website is possibly best place to see an extensive line up of the ships and their model types from Attack of Clones thru Clone Wars era ;p

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 12:57:45 PM »
Yeah, here's LEGO with some Clone Wars tech... "Jek-14's Stealth Starfighter". Total E-Wing ripoff. Looks like they're pillaging Expanded Uni tech and putting it on the shelves before Disney replaces it.

LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 02:48:46 PM »
Man I wasted a lot of time looking for pictures of my chars… I think it might be better to just leave them without photographs, maybe. :P

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »
Deviant Art, my friend. Imagine who would play your character in the show or movie then search there. Chances are you will find an amazing representation that isn't just a stock photograph.
Syren

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
Deviant Art has good stuff. I just Google search "Female Smuggler" or something equally generic and I usually get a bunch of hits. Some sleuthing is required. The secondary "cop out" option is to use my method and just get a close-up of a famous actor or actress just to simply put a face to the character. You can always elaborate on the garments in the bio write-up. Leave things to the imagination.... fancy that.
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 04:40:45 PM »
Well if any one gets their kicks doing the bio pics, I'm looking for an older Sean Penn type for my Manwell Grey character, and a spooky somber looking girl 8-10 yo for Anja… pleeaasseeee...

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 11:36:39 AM »
I get kicks. Sent you a PM.
Syren

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 04:57:20 PM »
You are the shiznit!

Thanks for the pics, which y'all can now see in my bios in the other thread.

Also, I merged the thread in the app board into the game discussion thread.

I get kicks. Sent you a PM.