Author Topic: OOC Chat  (Read 794681 times)

Offline gallpizi

• SWSF Member
  • Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.
    • Coruscant Pulse Podcast
Re: OOC Chat
« Reply #2145 on: September 05, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »
Perhaps we need to do a Kickstarter to develop a game/calculator to mimic what we want.

I wish to play so much, and I check the boards daily, but I just can never get enough time to do the whole combat thing.
Simming on the SWSF in AOL since 1999.
Let's bring back the glory days!

Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.

Offline gallpizi

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2146 on: September 05, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »
How is this distant worlds? Worth a look?

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2147 on: September 05, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »
Greg, AJAX chat is down or ?  I think you used to be able to get in there by entering any old Handle or PW, but I tried my accounts as well to no avail
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2148 on: September 06, 2013, 04:40:10 PM »
Let me just be clear my comment about something graphical is mostly just idealism/wishful thinking.

What it comes down to is my inability to visualize things. I love strategy gaming in general, play a bit of hex-and-counter style war games too, so I yearn for the ability to visualize our fleets and individual ships in relation to each other, which is why I don't like posts-style battling.

I also love micromanaging-type sim games, the slow-burn type of strategy instead of a quick RTS, so in all honesty the management of a faction doesn't bother me at all -- in fact I love that stuff.

If we had a sim called Erasmar Wars: The Erasmar Strikes Back, it would be detailed economic/political/fleet management, free-form SL battles.

And Distant Worlds is great. Look up Let's Plays on Youtube by Das. The only problem is the base game + expansions will run you at least $80 I think. And just the base game alone is not worth it, you need at least the first 2 of 3 expansions. But, easily my favorite space strategy game.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline RanesDsane

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2149 on: September 07, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »
I understand fully.  Back with Flashpoint and others, I would be the one spending hours each day in photoshop updating a visual map with little ships indicating where they were in the tiny grids we used.  It looked beautiful, but was a pain in the ass.  I'd love to see something along those lines (automated), but I think just a basic calculator would go a long way as well.
- Ranes

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2150 on: September 07, 2013, 06:42:16 PM »
  I dig HeroClix type stuff.  Table top battle gaming.  Used to do Warhammer and Mordheim but sold most of armies and landscapes.  There's an older MechWarrior version of HeroClix type models that had Mechs, reg Armor and Infantry pieces, that was epic.  PC game wise I am in love with the Total War series of games, that's all historical recreation stuff though.  Rome I & II, Shogun I & II, Napoleanic Wars, European Imperial era (18-19th centuries), Medieval I & II.  Campaign aspect is turn based strategy and battling is Real Time.  The mod community for it is huge and professional as hell to, very nice alterations available.  I know there were SW ones but I never tried any myself, there's a fantastic WWI for either Napoleon or Empire and Crusades/Levant one for Medieval II that I use (The Great War & Broken Crescent).  Shogun II is most recent and is crazy in depth, 16th-19th century japan.  Clash of Imperial and Clans and later Samurai and Christian Culture.  The space battles of SW Empire at War are great but strategic campaign map part is too fast paced for my tastes in that area.  Haven't tried many others.

Re: Calculator.  there used to be a calculator I think earlier in GCWII or maybe even earlier that Hop was working on.  Might still be a link for it around somewhere on those boards?

It simplified some things in terms of just feeding you a dmg from one ship to another, accounting UCR in to equation etc.  But that's not really the time consumption so much as the visual reference and consideration, constant rule reference to assure you are in step with them etc.  Difficult to overcome games applying rules, specs, physics and visual presentation for us.

I used to do that map thing as well!  Didn't use ship icons but marked dots on locations and named them and such and moved as battles progressed.  Back in AOL though before you could really share graphic work so seemlessly.  But that took hours of meticulous work itself to do it nice enough for personal reference.  In old AE I had all the material printed, grid and all blanked out and mass produced so I could just write scribble and start new when it got too messy =)   Ahh those old VSDs and their 80 CM tubes  :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:51:33 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Dementat

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2151 on: September 09, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »
Would love to see the return of the calculator. It was useful.
(\/)ighty RE

Offline XCALIBYR

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2152 on: September 10, 2013, 02:26:07 AM »
I really need to figure out why I can't log in on my phone as thats where I read most of this.. but..

I want numbers of some kind in an interweaving storyline.  I want massive fleets and epic everything.  I also agree we'd do more if we didn't have to put so much effort into it, so I propose a ridiculously simple set of combat rules.  Even if its Fleet X has 2000 durability and 1700 attack power, fleet Y has 1800 durability and 1600 attack power.  Fleet X wins.  From there we can make other rules like... for every X amount you overpower the opponent it takes you X amount of rounds to destroy/scatter the enemy fleet, allowing them a window to call for help.  Or whatever.  I have always voted massive fleets, super super simple combat.
/*\SITH*EMPIRE/*\

Offline gallpizi

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2153 on: September 10, 2013, 02:35:18 AM »
I actually like that. MASSIVE fleets, durability and attack power affected by the loadouts of fighters etc

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2154 on: September 13, 2013, 10:36:58 AM »

little bit dated article, but just saw it so, better late than never!  Interesting concept, will be cool to see the additional depictions of the Rebellion.

http://www.thereelbits.com/2013/07/29/star-wars-rebels-concept-art-and-logo-john-williams-returns-for-episode-vii/

~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Rinny

• SWSF Member
    • @rinskiroo
« Reply #2155 on: September 13, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »
I am so excited for this new series.  I followed The Clone Wars a little bit, but the animation style was always a little too "pointy" for me. (The weird angled faces, I dunno.)  BUT that particular time period is one of my favorites as far as Star Wars story telling so I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with it. :)

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #2156 on: September 13, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
Not sure if somebody already mentioned this... but Dark Horse Comics is published a new series based on the original Star Wars screenplay and earlier concept art.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/22-824?page=0

IT LOOKS REALLY COOL, and familiar yet different.
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline Rinny

• SWSF Member
    • @rinskiroo
« Reply #2157 on: September 13, 2013, 08:24:21 PM »
Wow that looks really... strange yet awesome.  Although I can't get over how General Skywalker looks like George Lucas lol.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2158 on: September 14, 2013, 12:58:58 AM »
Not sure if somebody already mentioned this... but Dark Horse Comics is published a new series based on the original Star Wars screenplay and earlier concept art.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/22-824?page=0

IT LOOKS REALLY COOL, and familiar yet different.

yes, issue #1 came out last weds or one before, it's going to be 8 parts.  The next issue, #2, will have actual Ralph McQuerrie as the variant cover, i think the variants are 1 in 20 or 25.

of the original #1 cover, there are 3, a regular variant 1 in 25, and an ultra variant 1 in 40.  They are all same depiction just diff artists renditions.

In the story of it, Alderaan is galactic capitol.  The Rebellion was The Great Jedi Rebellion, and the Jedi were beaten back to one world (Aquilae).

The Emperor is much more regular human appearing.  Star Destroyers are presented a bit "eh" though.  Vader has only gotten one or two panel shots so far, so he remains to be flushed out.  The Sith are the Knights of the Sith Order though.  So i think it may turn out to be more about competing orders of elite warriors.  I'm optimistic, the panel artwork itself is great.

First book ends with Emperor rallying for an invasion of Aquilae, the last of the Jedi held worlds.  General Skywalker believes he can mount a defense while some on Aquilae want to cede to terms of surrender.  There are a couple Jedi left alive, at least what has been shown so far.

Theres a DH series called Dawn of the Jedi that's sweet to.  It focuses on Tython in pre-republic times.  It's archaic space tech, they can't travel beyond their star system.  Rakata are still around.  SW comics will probably go to Marvel soon though since Disney owns Marvel to. 

That damn anti-semitist rodent mascot.  >:(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:05:10 AM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2159 on: September 23, 2013, 08:46:35 PM »
I almost ordered the first issue, but the delivery cost was greater than the issue cost.

Also, five people in negotiations for voicing characters in the upcoming Star Wars: Rebels animated series:

David Oyelowo, Freddie Prinze Jr., Vanessa Marshall, Taylor Gray and Steven Jay Blum are all in negotiations to voice the leads in the upcoming CG animated "Star Wars: Rebels" series for Lucasfilm Animation.
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/28773/four-up-for-voicing-star-wars-rebels

I'm a fan of Oyelowo from the series MI-5 (Spooks), know who Prinze Jr is, and then the rest are unknown to me. Voice talent to me never has to be well-known as long as it's good, and as long as the show/movie itself works. I'm more interested in the details of Rebels itself.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue