Author Topic: OOC Chat  (Read 794640 times)

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
Re: OOC Chat
« Reply #2130 on: July 20, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »
always better late than never in simming
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline RanesDsane

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2131 on: July 20, 2013, 02:19:59 PM »
Given that I've only managed to post once, I doubt there's any problem there.  Family being in town is taking a ton more time than I thought it would!
- Ranes

Offline Dementat

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2132 on: July 20, 2013, 03:14:04 PM »
Matters not, Caerbannog will be King of the Hill!
(\/)ighty RE

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2133 on: August 06, 2013, 08:52:34 PM »
  Anyone who digs Ralph McQuarrie's concept art, it's supposed to be heavily featured in this up and coming short-run title. Dark Horse

Rumored Cover Image for #1, it'll be titled The Star Wars.  Based on some earlier rendition of Lucas' play

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:01:19 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

LordMaligan

« Reply #2134 on: September 04, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »
I was excited to join. I work a 60 hour schedule in the medicine/academies field. A lot of numbers and stress during the day. I have been out of the swimming game awhile and looking over the rules found it all a bit much. What I enjoyed most about swimming was the politics, advancement in a sim, story lining.  I'm not sure I'm a good fit for this universe right now. Seems a bit too complicated.  But I understand the importance of ruled and respect the time and talent which went into it.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2135 on: September 04, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »
You can choose to solely write if you like Mal.  You'd just have to find a niche that doesn't conflict with the numbers players.  I believe Rinny wouldNT be doing the number thing but just writing a lot, adding some perspective and depth to the GCW Uni.  The numbers are still in development anyways as it is and most players are simply writing storylines right now.  Check out the Rise of the Republic and the Storyline folder there.  Find an angle you want to write from that won't encroach on tangible system control and such.

If you were able and interested in committing to that, I know everyone would enjoy additional story scribblings to help bring the community to life.

You also got Sy and Med who write in arcs apart from GCW Uni to possibly join with or start your own little saga if that's what suits you as well. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:01:03 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Medivh

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2136 on: September 04, 2013, 09:43:25 AM »
There are many options that allow for story-liners, whether it be fleshing out the sims, or collaborative writing.  If you can specify what you want to do, and how much time you want to spend doing it, we can make sure there is a place for you here.
([][:][][][DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Medivh
SWSF: Legacy of the Force
May the Force be with you

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2137 on: September 04, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
Yeah, if you just want to write, do as little or as much as you'd like. You can interact with factions or you can keep your characters isolated. We'd all be happy to have you along for whichever role you were to choose.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #2138 on: September 04, 2013, 12:27:43 PM »
Exactly. We have busy lives and careers as well but we come together for our mutual love of SW and simming. We would love to have you be a part of that as your schedule permits. Let us know if and how we can help make this as much fun for you as it is for us.  :)
Syren

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2139 on: September 04, 2013, 03:32:19 PM »
I was excited to join. I work a 60 hour schedule in the medicine/academies field. A lot of numbers and stress during the day. I have been out of the swimming game awhile and looking over the rules found it all a bit much. What I enjoyed most about swimming was the politics, advancement in a sim, story lining.  I'm not sure I'm a good fit for this universe right now. Seems a bit too complicated.  But I understand the importance of ruled and respect the time and talent which went into it.

This echoes so much of what I've been thinking the past few years.

We've tried to reduce the game's complexities further [in GCWIII], while still leaving a strong game-mechanic to it, in response to some of your observations - but as you say, it's still quite much for someone with a full life and schedule.

And, perhaps most importantly, the "advancement in a sim" aspect captures what our modern game cannot presently offer at all, which is a large, interactive community of multiple players on teams, competing against other large, interactive communities of multiple players on other teams. With so few of us, that sort of experience, which I believe was at the core of the simming fun on AOL message boards, is and will be absent. Probably never to return.

Truth be told, my mend bends more towards story every year. The battle simming, I think, has come and gone. We put up a good fight with low numbers but the game is never truly satisfying without those large group vs large group dynamics. The game mechanics of actual simming were never the important part really but those communities competing. Is it time we jettisoned the mechanics all together? If we did, what shape would the game take?

In my thinking, we could continue with "each man a faction" (with some players free to be in the same faction if they liked) as it is in GCWIII, and allow that player to develop the story of his characters and armies as he wishes, while coordinating with the other players to bring to life events, battles, intrigues that will be fun creative fodder for the two of the to work with (perhaps luring in other players to their plots). Or we could be much less 'strict', with players free to create all types of characters and governments etc as they like (you might have an Imperial task force commander, a rebel fighter pilot, etc all under your yoke, characters you bring to life and that exist in the reality of the story world for other players to interact with etc).

We could include specifications, larger planet lists, and that other material as just that: material for our stories to be written on.

We could go less drastic, and remove the battling and leave in place the economic/empire building pieces or shades of them.

Something I think we should start thinking about.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:35:51 PM by RHA Hoppus »

JavinTye

« Reply #2140 on: September 04, 2013, 07:33:44 PM »
Yeah with my grad school work it's pretty tough to try to keep going.

I wanna post more but ... semester is dragging me back in.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2141 on: September 04, 2013, 08:09:54 PM »
  I got free time to sell.  I will support whatever the group consensus is.  I'm interested in the communal effort.  However, my own personal experience of the mock is that the redeeming value is ingrained due to the careful consideration but still difficult to extract effectively in the context we are chasing.  Also consider right now, we are playing with small simplistic fleets.  The game will be much larger and much more complex, no matter how much solid effort has been put in by the dudes to strip it down to the great working system that exists now.  I also wonder if a divergent path exists.  I must confess to being in favor of diverse in depth complexity in the past but question the practicality of even a simplified version of it communally at this juncture.

My personal preference would be a completely story/writing oriented venture.  Not necessarily in the scope of factional galactic domination.  Though i suppose that is always an ongoing background theme anyways regardless of character(s) perspectives =)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:07:36 AM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2142 on: September 04, 2013, 09:42:55 PM »
I wish there were some way we could make the simulation portion graphical. I think that if someone had to choose one thing to streamline it would be be the battles for most of us. I love, love, love the stats aspect of things, but I've also just never been good at managing battles -- making sure I calculate everything, trying to remember to use ALL the things and rules I have available. Even when I was 14.

If anyone has some miraculous game-coding ability, please speak up. Until then, I'll be mostly story posts, but I do want to manage the Empire as a legit faction when we go forward.

If anyone's looking for the closest thing to what we do in game form (and you have a lot of money to spend), check out Distant Worlds. With all three expansions now, it is a glorious space empire simulation. Many of the planet names are misspellings of Star Wars names too, so you know the influence is there. Fleets, blockades, ships with gravity wells, fighters, massive stations, completely redesignable ship blueprints, "private sector" going about its business building mines all over the place, deep diplomacy. It just needs a Star Wars mod.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline RanesDsane

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2143 on: September 05, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
In the vein of Erasmar's comment....  I don't care so much if it was graphical, but a battle calculator would be awesome and go a long way to helping with the math/time involved.  Even something as simple as: Choose Ship, choose weapons (or all, prepopulated by what is on the ship), choose target, click = detail line needed.  It is something that I considered doing, but am pretty sure I don't really have the time to invest in right now.

I like the combination of story and actual combat, but I certainly recognize that the combat takes a lot of time investment.
- Ranes

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2144 on: September 05, 2013, 01:17:10 PM »

One of my primary concerns is that what a player expresses a desire for, and then is able and wanting to participate in once it's actually going can often be entirely different.  Again I cite the mock.  It open for everyone to get involved and try things out etc but we see the limited activity and population there. It's also very slow go.  Imagine how long a real battle in game at a tangible star system is going to take?  At the current rate, you're looking at 3 weeks to a month (maybe more) for a complete battle with full fleets, and this is all with a very basic combat system.  Up until recently my desire was to stick with numbers gaming even possibly enriching it deeper and keep that going along side storyline development.  My view has been changed over last few months to be starkly opposite.

Like I said, personally I got the time and devotion to keep it numbers as well if we want to, but with respects to the community aspect of the game and what can reasonably be expected, I think it is a vain chase that will unfortunately for all the hard effort probably not work out as we all hope in recreating the passion and vigor of old.

That said, everyone being present here is proof positive of a desire to maintain the community endeavor in some form.  The vast activity in the storyline folder I believe is a great example of what there is a niche and mass drive towards, and what can be reasonably committed to and maintained.

Personal pref -> Writing only, no numbers.  "Gaming dynamics" optional.  Myself, I don't really want to have to manipulate the whole faction wide perspective but want it to be open for others to do that if they want.   Im doing so with Hutts right now only because thats what this game (GCW) is built towards.
~J
SWSF 'til Death