Author Topic: OOC Chat  (Read 794372 times)

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
Re: GCW: OOC
« Reply #1875 on: January 29, 2013, 01:03:20 PM »
but it's always nice to see people shocked, as if some bronze statue is a monument to slavery, lol.

Iffy.

By the same token not every German commander in WWII was a card carrying member of the Nazi party, but I doubt you'll find many WWII German General statues in Berlin.  They won't even immortalize Rommel in such a way and debates and discussion on the subject continue on the public German domain.

Slavery can never be separated from the Civil War.  Fighting for the Confederacy was fighting for the perpetuation of holding human beings as objects of ownership, plain and simple.  You can argue the Fighting for Home logic, fighting for states rights, but you can't ignore the cultural practices of Home and what it stood for and the LIMITED RIGHTS of PEOPLE they were fighting to protect.  Protecting Southern Dignity/Integrity and such is the usual theme superimposed.  But there's no dignity or integrity to protect when you're the last 'civilized' place on Earth practicing slavery.  It's simply the most explicit case of convenience and profits (livelihood) meaning more than pursuing ethical practice and a morally upright path.

As Hale has pointed out however, I'm sure the out of towners care more negatively about the issue than residents do positively.  If Richmond is happy with it, issue settled I'd say.  Just don't kid yourselves about it!  You've got statues of dudes who fought in war to propagate slavery, not ardent defenders of Southern Pride.  Most of them simply romanticized the notion to not feel like huge pieces of shit I presume.  God forbid they start viewing themselves as no better than a slave!  ;)

Not at all to say I don't get it or Richmond isn't entitled to it's perspective.  Everyone puts on rosy hued lenses to view their indigenous or adopted 'heroes'.  Besides, if you took down those statues, who are you going to replace them with? Paula Deen? ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:15:10 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #1876 on: January 29, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
All this talk of slaves and Spartacus! We got any Romans and Southerners to kill? Oh wait, the Southern part of the GCWII galaxy is full of Rebels. Coincidence!? I THINK NOT!!  ::) Rebels of the South versus the Northern Imperialists... my my.

Anyway, I think George Lucas was very obvious with his commentary on civics using the films. I mean, when Palpatine said "I am the Senate!" it's pretty much the same as Louis XIV saying "I am the state."
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline Medivh

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1877 on: January 29, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »
There are also statutes memorializing southern armies and soldiers in the north, especially in Gettysburg.
([][:][][][DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Medivh
SWSF: Legacy of the Force
May the Force be with you

Offline XCALIBYR

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1878 on: January 29, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »
Im more interested in the proposed statue of RoboCop in Detroit.  They've already raised the money... SO BUILD IT ALREADY!!
/*\SITH*EMPIRE/*\

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #1879 on: January 29, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
We're busy burying Kwame beneath city hall at the moment to make ourselves feel better for electing a crook in the first place ;p

But I think at this point OCP couldn't possibly do us any more harm than good.  Then again you could already consider that theme realized, the only portion of the city that receives adequate police presence is Downtown and thats purely to protect the business interest there.  I'll keep my fingers crossed though.  I love my dilapidated hometown!  :'(

There are also statutes memorializing southern armies and soldiers in the north, especially in Gettysburg.

Hmm, good point but I'd make a couple of distinctions personally. One is between a battlefield memorial appropriate to mark for memory and mourn the loss of life and a civic endorsed monument placed in a city as a mark of 'pride' and identity.  Very different arenas.  Secondarily, Southern Armies and Soldiers are one thing.  Southern Generals & Officers are another.  I've got to think that your average confederate shooter was fighting for an idea a land and slave owner sold them on, where as your average land slave owner was probably some kind of officer selling those ideas to protect their way of life (i.e. at the top of the caste system).

*shrug* maybe I wrong
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:23:05 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline gallpizi

• SWSF Member
  • Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.
    • Coruscant Pulse Podcast
« Reply #1880 on: January 30, 2013, 12:13:13 AM »
Post that PDF if you could and I will be PMing you shortly with my tech ideas.
Simming on the SWSF in AOL since 1999.
Let's bring back the glory days!

Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.

Offline gallpizi

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1881 on: January 30, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »
-taps foot- any day now ;-)

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #1882 on: January 30, 2013, 10:15:38 PM »
. . .lol, sorry was space casing.  Took your reference of PDF initially as to a Planetary Defense Force somewhere as opposed to an Adobe Acrobat file =D

wouldn't allow attachment in a post, too big, sent to your private email @nutleyrescue.  Let me know if you need it sent someplace else

EDIT - FYI to anyone who knows specifically of the name or general kind and content of any WEG (and some WotC) Sourcebook you'd like to have access to, let me know and I will try and get to you.  I ran in to a cache of them (like every one ever made) in a packtrnt awhile ago and while I don't maintain or condone that sort of thing!.. they are indispensable if you like to browse for inspiration or even clip images for story use!  :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:16:23 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline XCALIBYR

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1883 on: January 31, 2013, 03:38:32 AM »
Nice.  I used to own pretty much all of em but I have absolutely no idea where they are.  Except for the Imperial Sourcebook.  For some reason its always near my computer.
/*\SITH*EMPIRE/*\

Offline gallpizi

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1884 on: January 31, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »
That e-mail worked just fine...If you have the Imp one send it over! ;-)

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #1885 on: January 31, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »
sizent

2 sourcebooks, that's 2 months of binding IC Non-Aggression Pact  8)
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #1886 on: February 04, 2013, 09:29:10 PM »
comic book fan or ney, you guys need to check this series out! ;)

Issue 2 next Weds 2/13

~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #1887 on: February 05, 2013, 11:35:10 AM »
bad ass

Offline Medivh

• SWSF Member
« Reply #1888 on: February 07, 2013, 07:12:33 AM »
I'm a daddy!
([][:][][][DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Medivh
SWSF: Legacy of the Force
May the Force be with you

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #1889 on: February 07, 2013, 08:59:44 AM »
I'm a daddy!

Congrats!!! Don't name them anakin... ;)