Author Topic: OOC Chat  (Read 794764 times)

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
Re: GCW: OOC
« Reply #555 on: June 27, 2012, 03:04:21 PM »
Okay I love the bombard concept: (generalized attack, all weapons, effectively interdicting the grid space (nothing comes in, nothing gets out), and -1 UCR to any ground based units (troops/GAVs). Perfect, and fun use of it (you can trap enemy forces in parts of the grid while attacking other parts).

This should just be deleted though (sorry!):

Atmospheric Bombardment & Surface-to-Air Combat
Ships that can enter the atmosphere can fire on ground targets in the related Ground Grid. All energy-based weapon attacks become UCR 1 because of parallax targeting errors and weapon arc alignment difficulties. Warheads take no penalty. While ships are in the atmosphere, ground units can attack them normally. Damage is dealt as if the capital ships were vehicles.

I get confused reading that - so can X-Wings in Atmosphere fire PTs at ground targets, and be immune to fire from surface, for example?

PLEASE let us get rid of "atmosphere" and just use space and the 4 ground grids. having the atmosphere zone makes its more complicated and less straightforward - we already saw how each of us interrpreted what "atmosphere" and "surface" consisted of. Its always been a problem.

Without atmosphere it is really simple:
1) Battles in space using UCR and firing weapons.
2) Battles on surface that can include space craft capable of atmospheric flight (with penalties to UCR) using UCR and firing weapons.

No questions about where one thing ends and the other begins, where the unit is if its just 'hovering' and not landed, etc, there is no gray area whatsoever.

Very very simple. And really no different in actual gameplay, you're just removing 1 grid space and possible confusion/debate area.

Please remove atmosphere grid space! CAP is for Ground_Grid space (G1, G2), and works just like in space but the ships protected are facilities, troops, and GAVs on surface (so SFS on CAP prevent SFs from engaging those units until occupied or destroyed).

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #556 on: June 27, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »
If you can shit out the new Space-Ground Grid Map, then by all means!
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #557 on: June 27, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »
lol all right.

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #558 on: June 27, 2012, 03:45:15 PM »
Fresh out the crapper!

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #559 on: June 27, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »
One last request... can you make another Space-Ground Grid with the Atmosphere divided into 4 different sections?
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #560 on: June 27, 2012, 03:50:23 PM »
::grumble grumble:: atmosphere.... ::grumble grumble::

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #561 on: June 27, 2012, 03:57:03 PM »
this one gave me diarrhea...

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #562 on: June 27, 2012, 05:54:53 PM »
Here's what I like about the separate Atmosphere Grids:
1. They allow Starfighters and AUX to be on Combat Atmosphere Patrol and have a clear zone to protect.
2. It allows bombers to perform Atmospheric Bombing Runs on a related ground grid.
3. It allows atmospheric capable starships to enter the Atmosphere, take the -2 UCR penalty, and participate in ground battles via Atmospheric Bombardment.
4. It gives players an opportunity to defend against a massive Landing Barge drop. With no atmo, I could deploy from A-1 and land in G-1 immediately, with Atmo grids there is a 1 turn delay.
5. With Atmosphere grids, rules won't need to be overhauled.
6. In the MLA Flashpoint from Episode I, the Atmosphere worked in terms of logistics, was fully functional, and added some nuance to the game. It wasn't confusing.
7. If a ship is in the atmosphere, it's hovering and flying, if it's on the ground it's landed. No in-betweens. Without the Atmo grids, I could simply say "Atmosphere G-1" or "Landed G-1"... If I'm still referencing the Atmosphere offhand, why not make it official by giving it it's own grid?
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #563 on: June 27, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »
Then where do hovering T-47s battle? And AT ATs? Are on in "G1" and the other in "A1"?

If you're going to have atmosphere you need to be explicit, I think.

Atmosphere = High Atmosphere (> 60k feet), nothing can fire into it from space or ground, and units in Atmosphere cannot fire out of it (present rules, I believe, say this). -1 UCR penalty to space craft that can enter atmosphere.

Ground = Surface to 60k feet. -1 UCR (stacked) to space craft that can enter atmosphere. The "Ground Grid" encompasses all surface-to-surface and surface-to-air/air-to-surface/air-to-air combat as we know it in conventional Earth warfare. Units interact using the basic principles of combat: fire weapons, modify damage based on UCR. No special footnotes, whether its TIEs attacking Troops or Troops attacking a VNSD. Units cannot move between Ground Grids (must traverse through atmosphere again).

Orbital Bombardment = Can be carried out by Star Destroyers, Mon Cals, etc. form adjacent A-Ring (A1 fires at G1). Must fire all weapons at surface for the bombardment to count. The bombardment effectively interdicts the Ground Grid targeted, meaning no units can leave it, and no units can enter it (excluding friendly units?), and all (enemy?) units operating within it suffer a -1 UCR for 24 hours following the orbital bombardment.

Example.
MC80 Bombards G1.
TIEs in G1 now have -3 UCR for the 24 hours following the bombardment (-1 UCR Atmo, -1 UCR Ground, -1 UCR Bombardment).
TIEs can engage and attack normally within the same grid but cannot go into atmosphere.

Combat Air Patrol = CAP can only be deployed in an Atmosphere grid, and it effectively screens enemy units from passing through to the adjacent Ground Grid unless engaged or destroyed (see Space Combat CSP rules). As in Space Combat, SF block SF, while AUX block AUX. Capital ships cannot be prevented by any CAP and can blast right through it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:14:19 PM by GCW Hoppus »

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #564 on: June 27, 2012, 08:38:04 PM »
DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD.

The circle is now complete, Version 2.0 of the Rules have been made. Please check them out at your earliest convenience. Instead of 5 Volumes it is now 3.

Now for Heroes & Missions and we'll be Go For Launch....
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:08:19 PM by GCW Hale »
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #565 on: June 27, 2012, 09:11:14 PM »
Ok, MY MAKEOVER IS COMPLETE!

:D

Ima go start gorging to really get in the mind of this Pawa guy. . . ;p
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:14:09 PM by Sloth »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #566 on: June 27, 2012, 09:25:56 PM »
By the way Hale you took advantage of me, I see what you did there with the maps ;)

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #567 on: June 27, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »
PIZZA THE HUTT!
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #568 on: June 27, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #569 on: June 28, 2012, 02:17:30 AM »
+ Ground Units specs updated for current rules.
+ Planet List posted under THE GALAXY.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:42:48 AM by GCW Hale »
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM