Author Topic: OOC Chat  (Read 794256 times)

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
Re: OOC Chat
« Reply #2280 on: February 01, 2015, 12:56:25 PM »
I wouldn't get too bummed.  When you type "Star Wars Sim Forum" in to google, we are the first link that pops up still.  Directly to swsfonline.com.  At least for me... any others?

With that in mind, you'd think most anyone will eventually find their way back.  Just a matter of time and patience is all.

As for swsf gaming I will be primarily focused on writing here when I get some time again soon.. though I could be lured in to something almost GCWI-esque.  Classic, simple, smaller focus on larger background.  Story driven to game play climax?  A new Imperial super weapon? Imp players rush to uncover Rebel bases and gain prominence to swell forces.  Rebels build up bases try to stay hidden and try to find/destroy super weapon?

Have been reading a slew of SW Dark Horse Omnibuses, tabletopping (XWing Mini FFG) and thumping a little bass here n there lately.  A freaking vol I Knights of Old Republic DH Omnibus goes for $200 right now.  X-Wing Rogue Squadron vol I the same.  Shadows of the Empire Omnibus for around $70.  Both incredible and nauseating!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:06:16 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2281 on: February 01, 2015, 07:20:13 PM »
Yeah I got into the XW Mini's, much to the dismay of my wife and credit card, lol. But I got 2 core sets and 1 of every other item so I think I got a good base going.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2282 on: February 02, 2015, 09:14:50 PM »
It's such an incredible game.  Only thing I didn't get was the Tantive IV, may get the Imperial Raider when it comes out though.

I've had the damn Scum and Villainy pieces on pre order from Miniaturemarket since last august!  That StarViper is a twinkle in my eye.  Tearing me up inside.  Also have SW Armada core set on PO right now.

I didn't try out Imperial Assault yet, as I already play too many tabletop games and just started selling some off on ebay so need to reign myself in.  May try it after that.  But Armada is going to be insanely awesome.
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2283 on: February 04, 2015, 09:24:03 AM »
I like it. Ive been sort of half developing a sim style table top game to go along with it. Instead of just getting a set amount of points to utilize you buy the stuff with an economy and some planet maps and what not. Its really only for my kids and I so... lol. My wife is tired of playing with me already and my gaming group has taken to basically forming alliances against me. Its become a twice a month thing with them seeing if they can actually beat me in this. Those poor people, they dont understand ive basically been doing this for 20 years now. Yeah in simming I have to make the visuals up in my head, but the concept is exactly the same. I even find some of the same imbalances, like an E-Wing with an Astromech droid and a shield booster is pretty much invincible.

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2284 on: February 05, 2015, 04:24:50 PM »
I'm alive.

Working a fuck ton and taking care of a 3 month old who appears to be teething early. Oh, the joys...  ;D

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2285 on: February 05, 2015, 05:39:34 PM »
like an E-Wing with an Astromech droid and a shield booster is pretty much invincible.

Ewing Corran Horns ability is awesome.  With the extra attack he can do at end of Combat Phase, even though you lose ability in next round, you can pretty much reserve it for a kill shot.  Great for some high skill ships clinging to 1 or 2 HP that might be threatening or for that final kill for the win.

My go to kill em build for 100pt squad is a Firespray piloted by Krassis Trelix with a heavy laser cannon upgrade, a weapons engineer (2 target locks) and a TIE Defender Colonel Vesseray with a heavy laser cannon as well.  Then leaves you several points to play with to interchange a few upgrade cards like either Stealth Device or Shield Boost or maybe Cluster Missiles on Firespray or Predator added to the TD.

The pilots and the weapon engineer are what really goes together though.  Krassis Trelix can re-roll one die on any secondary weapon attack, so every time I'm using heavy laser cannon I'm re rolling at least one.  The weapons engineer allows Firespray to maintain two target locks at once, enabling even more rerolls obviously.  TIE Defender Colonel Vesseray's ability is when he attacks, if defender already has a target lock from someone else on them, he immediately gets a target lock.

So with Krassis Trelix maintaining two locks at once, if maneuver good with TD Col Vesseray you are always left with ability to attack a unit that is target locked so you get the immediate target lock when you attack with Col Vesseray.  The duo can pretty much knock out most any fighter class ship in one turn if you can get them both on it. 

All in all I call it my ReRoll Squad.  With both ships sporting heavy laser cannons its 4 Attack Dice almost every roll with guaranteed re rolls.  Pisses everyone off who sees it.  Only time I got beat with it was some doucher using a Soontir Fel TIE Interceptor swarm build and it was more due to some crappy defense rolls and bad positioning.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:45:57 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2286 on: February 05, 2015, 11:23:22 PM »
Oh I wanna take that on with my E-Wing/B-Wing combo! It would be nice to have a real challenge for a change. Not to say that my current group cant be challenging, but they really have to team up on me to do it. Its kind of cut-throat teams when after the first match I made the suggestion (read as used the force, lol) that they rank themselves by how much total hull damage each of them does. Then was very careful not to specify how the hull damage was scored, lmao! So whenever they get into a position where im getting pounded, they all start attacking each other to see who is going to rank highest. Which is usually just the break I need to get my E-Wing out of combat, recharge its shields, then move back in and slaughter them, lol.

And heya Hop. How is fatherhood treating ya?

Offline Medivh

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2287 on: February 17, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
I'm alive!

OK, the last thing I remember is like 3 months ago, trying to get onto the website - and it being gone.  Then I tried again.  and again.  still nothing.
I even did a search for star wars sim forum, and the old link came up.

Then today, I had a snow day, and I figured, let me search again.  And here it is! 

So my account apparently links to an old yahoo e-mail that I don't use, and probably an old AOL e-mail I also don't use.  But here I am!  It will take me some time to catch up on old posts (not to mention I still have work, wife, 2 year old daughter, etc), and then I'm looking forward to making up for lost time.

([][:][][][DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Medivh
SWSF: Legacy of the Force
May the Force be with you

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #2288 on: February 18, 2015, 12:31:20 AM »
I thought I had lost you! Glad you are back.  :D
Syren

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2289 on: February 21, 2015, 11:22:56 AM »
So Eid... I had a thought while watching a movie here. These rich guys where playing long distance chess. (If you dont know I can explain, but I will just assume you already know what it is) And I thought, why couldnt we do that with X-Wing? Provided we both map out a game board the same size and we both have the same pieces, I dont see why it couldnt be done. And seeing as we seem to be the most interested in the game here, perhaps you'd be interested in trying it out?

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2290 on: February 28, 2015, 11:33:38 PM »
Welcome back Med, glad you found the place!

Dunno about that Ram, translating piece movement isn't as easy unless you made the play area a gridded surface instead of measured movement.  Too much pain in the ass, not to mention if a real life game comes up, doing a game long distance that way would take days and you'd have to take it all down and set up again if were going to play someplace.

Have you got any of Scum and Villainy yet?  I got Most Wanted pack, 2 Starvipers and a IG2000 so far.   You could make some sweet YWs now with some of the new cards for them in Most Wanted pack,

Have you seen the new version of Star Wars RPGing?  With the various skill class decks and what not?  Seems interesting.  Keeping an eye on it, along with Imperial Assault.  Armada I have already committed to.

As far as gaming here, something will materialize.  It always does  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:35:59 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2291 on: March 02, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »
Oh, I was thinking along the lines of long distance Warhammer. You have the play area, and at any time you can measure any piece from the front left and back right corners from the walls to know its position. But yeah I see your point. None of the new stuff yet. Have a hard time justifying the expenditure to the wife considering I barely touch the ones I have.

What "SW RPGing" do you speak? No, this is the first ive heard of it.

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #2292 on: March 02, 2015, 07:02:23 PM »
Fantasy Flight Games: Star Wars RPG

Here's their character sheet
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/72/ed/72ed3b59-bf9a-41d1-93f0-10d58bd6f17b/eote_character_sheet_low_res.pdf

Here's their ship sheet:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/16/fc/16fcc64a-2a88-467f-a701-55c64f617567/edge-of-the-empire-vehicle-sheet.pdf

If we wanted to get our own game running, I would endorse a system like that one. We can scale back the specs/attributes, and remove dice rolling with a currency-based system (Action Points for characters, Energy Points for ships). We can agree on a common set of ships for modding and what not (as I don't want to invent anything new). However, to avoid the "most guns wins" dynamic, we need to keep some GCW-flavored combat elements like UCR, and/or perhaps introduce specific class-based advantages.

If these sound agreeable, reply with some comments on the New Combat Model thread. (I'll restart the discussion there).
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2293 on: March 02, 2015, 08:23:18 PM »
SW RPG series by Fantasy Flight Games I know of Age of Rebellion and Edge of the Empire. 

Also coming out soon is Force and Destiny.  There is a Beta book out now but I'm waiting for the final.  They are all cross compatible but there's a whole system utilizing cards and what not for diff chars and specializations, helps give whole thing little more flavor imo.  When Force and Destiny final comes out I was looking to definitely just basically port it over (or steal a good amount of ideas and content ;p) for a jedi-centric rpg game where players could saber/power duel and everything with dice n shit.
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2294 on: March 02, 2015, 10:13:44 PM »
Well, with all due respect, how does a UCR fix the "most guns wins" dynamic? All you are really doing is trading lasers for combat rating, in essence, the exact same thing just with a different name. The number of lasers indicates how much damage it can do, UCR is the amount of damage it can do. Same concept, different name. In said situation, instead of most guns, its most UCR. Basically the only thing that changes is instead of all B-Wings I use all A-Wings. It also leads to needing separate systems for star fighter combat in terms of dogfighting and capship combat.

The unfortunate reality of the matter is, there is no way to fix what you are talking about Hale. I mean, sure we can re-name it, and add all kinds of complexity to it, but in the end its still going to come down to who ever has the most of X wins. Like Eid said, the best way to combat it is to use dice instead of static values and just kind of deal with it from there.