Author Topic: SWA: Yavin - Game Pause and Discussion of its Future  (Read 17102 times)

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
SWA: Yavin - Game Pause and Discussion of its Future
« on: June 12, 2017, 09:59:45 AM »
Due to a cold and slow start up plus some no-shows, SWA: Yavin is officially on ice until we decide what to do with it. I figured there would be enough interest to light the fire, but I guess I was wrong. Perhaps IRL constraints are preventing all of us from gaming the way we would like to, if so, we need to think about what kind of game we can realistically and honestly play, not the kind of game we would like to play.

Thoughts?
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline gallpizi

• SWSF Member
  • Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.
    • Coruscant Pulse Podcast
Re: SWA: Yavin - Game Pause and Discussion of its Future
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »
My first thought: NOOOOOO
Simming on the SWSF in AOL since 1999.
Let's bring back the glory days!

Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 12:33:17 PM »
Eid and I are still up for it. Last week team lead went on surprise vaca and I had to pick up the reigns, plus baby with urinary infection, etc. I've just been really swamped. But am up for giving it a shot. I won't lie though, lacking is the nostalgic factor and simplicity (settnigs things up has been pretty complicated and felt a bit chore-ish).

I am still up for trying a 1 or 2 ship max per player solution and using some old school simply rules and trying to marshal the people that had popped in into action.

Or doing SWA Yavin.

Whatever! I am just busy busy lately but still interested!

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • Let the rabbits wear glasses
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:21:08 PM »

I needed a break for a day or two after calculating most of Rebel start up stuff, but it turned in to a week after I booted up a Persia campaign in Empire Total War.  ;p    I will still try it out as the rules set is interesting even at least to see what we can learn from it to apply further.

Admittedly it's a huge chunk of math to bite off.  Somewhat unwieldy.  A more traditional venture may be more digestible to all and take off on it's own wo requiring any self or external motivation..

Something more open ended, wide open galaxy, traditional grid/arcs.  Take some small nuanced differences to plant in there to slightly tweak the game perhaps.  One concept that really changes the strategy of moving/positioning a ship is to borrow from Armada, and say a cap ship can never occupy same space as another cap ship or they ram, and that a capship may attack from 2 arcs in 1 turn.  Not whole fleets, but if players were allowed to control something like 2-3 capships, now 1 player vs 1 player is much different.  You wouldn't necessarily just keep your ships close to ea other because then its easy pickings to allow opponent to attack both at once, so you're more cognizant of where you're putting your ships rather than just moving them close enough to hit one another. *shrug*

With movement/headings on a traditional grid, this really changes the dynamic.  No more mobbing up in 1 space and position/facing/how you'd use your maneuver/turn/speed points matters a lot more.  At least in theory.  Just a simple thought to take traditional system and make it less predictable/repeated.   More range/damage variation, maybe instead of generic dmg for a TL/Laser/Ion/HTL/QTL etc, it's per ship/spec.

Anyway, Im still eager to get some simming going of some form.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 03:23:33 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Lordmaligan

• SWSF Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:34:58 AM »
Easy old school rules with a focus on strategy, world building, story line

Each player can create up to two characters. 2 ship max per character. If you are busy ... only create one character. The headline of each post will show what character you are portraying.

We can start each side off with 10-15 planets and some income. The group can decide where to build defense, shipyard, ships etc. The initial structure won't be canon but thats ok.

The time period can be after endor