Author Topic: Ghostbusters Afterlife  (Read 10187 times)

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
Ghostbusters Afterlife
« on: November 21, 2021, 01:54:55 AM »
It goes SW, GB and Big Lebowski for me

I LOVED Afterlife. It was fun and felt like it really had the spirit ;p of the GB world.  As a lifelong Ghostbusters fan- if the original holds any place in your heart, go see that shit.

The story itself felt pretty good and the way they used Ivo Shandor and the Egon back story and focusing on his family was really sweet.  It really felt a lot more like something from at least half of\the original writing teams mind and it seemed like it was both Aykroyds and Stantzs personal homage to Ramis and Spengler.

I've seen the critic reviews pretty harshly trashing the movie and I don't agree with any of the shade they are casting in the least bit.

As a squirt me and a handful of my cousins all had one of those blue 'nerf like' proton packs and ghost traps and sporting onesie pjs with feet would run around spinning our own ghost yarns and having a blast.  I don't know how anyone who came from that and watched the original movie(s) are really loved the mystical spirit world that the back story created can see this movie and not be left smiling and cracking up from ear to ear from start to finish.

Admittedly, I don't go to the theater to see a lot of new movies, but this has been probably the most I've enjoyed a movie at the theater since Revenge of the Sith (and thats not to say anything negative about R1 or Solo for my personally).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 12:30:25 PM by SWSF Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
Re: Ghostbusters Afterlife
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 04:32:36 PM »
I saw it again.  Still awesome!
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Medivh

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 04:06:28 PM »
I saw it again.  Still awesome!
I hope to see it, once it is out of theatres, but I am heartened by your positive reviews of it.

Movies that rely on nostalgia can go one of two ways - really awesome, or really bad, and I have seen both.
([][:][][][DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Medivh
SWSF: Legacy of the Force
May the Force be with you

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 11:30:53 PM »
I cant even say a great balance because it is a great flood of both nostalgia and newness and even redemptions and set up for possibly more.

The ultimate tie in to the original Gozer story is very well done and the Spengler lineage and future of Ghostbusting is left on strong footing.

There are no shortage of easter eggs that even stretch the term because they all become important story pieces.

I think any old school Ghostbusters or Harold Ramis fan will really enjoy it.  The ole lady even got misty eyed at the end.

As a side note, Hasbros Haslab ghostbusters movie prop replica proton pack not long left.. https://hasbropulse.com/products/ghostbusters-plasma-series-spengler-s-proton-pack

I'm actually selling a few SW figs on Ebay to get one!  Blasphemy.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 11:38:10 PM by SWSF Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death