Author Topic: Rogue One - SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD!!!!  (Read 30629 times)

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
Re: Rogue One - SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 11:55:47 PM »
First of all - I hate you guys. Once I saw this thread up I had to avoid the forum since I was not going to be able to see it until this evening.

That being said - Loved it.

It could not have ended any other way and it added more of an urgency heading into Episode IV.

Anyone else think Vader was sashaying up to Krennic? Look at those hips move the next time you watch it. I was like, oooooo gurl. Now that's an entrance.

I agree with you, Med. Mustafar is not the place I would be hanging.

I want Jyn's Imperial outfit sans helmet. Jazz it up with a skirt, maybe some boots.

K-2 is my favorite droid. I do not like droids but I liked him. My husband wants one. I forced him to see it with me and his take-away was, "I want that snarky droid."

All in all that shit was solid and I felt extremely satisfied with this entry. Here's to hoping they don't blow it with the Solo standalone.
Syren

Offline Rinny

• SWSF Member
    • @rinskiroo
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 08:14:49 AM »
(though my biggest outstanding question is this - why was Leia at the battle to begin with?  She was supposed to be getting Obi-Wan from Tatooine, and she was on a ship that wasn't doing anything in the battle anyways.)

I think maybe the Tantive IV just happened to be on the cruiser when Raddus was like "FUCK YA'LL WE'RE GONNA STEAL SOME DEATH STAR PLANS."  Because yea, they had no business being there if their mission was to go get Obi-Wan.

Offline Bishio

• SWSF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 11:26:31 AM »
I have been thinking about the Mustafar thing and it might make some sense.  Vader is a character that is kind of in a state of constant anguish about what he had done to his wife and kid(s).  Or at least what he was told he did.  That devastating feeling is kind of what drives him into the darkness and makes him feel, to himself, unforgivable and thus destined to be the a brutal unforgiving person himself.  This is without mentioning all the dark side stuff that happens to one's physiological make up that just adds another layer to the cake.

So for that reason I feel he would actually want to be there in the place that brought him so much pain and suffering.  Because it would be a constant reminder of his failure and ultimately be the most powerful motivator in his quest for greater power.  It would give him feelings of sadness, anger, rage, and passion that further fuel the nature of the dark side.  Not to mention the constant reminder of this is where Anakin Skywalker truly (?) died and the masked monster was born.  To constantly remind him that Obi-Wan was still out there and had beaten him.  Just more logs on the fire pit of a burning world.

Of course these are things that to normal people like us seem insane (I hope no one here has gone though Vader levels of shit at least, sorry if so).  But to someone as traumatized and angry as Vader?  To me it makes perfect sense.  But this is of course just a personal opinion.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 06:10:02 PM »

I think maybe the Tantive IV just happened to be on the cruiser when Raddus was like "FUCK YA'LL WE'RE GONNA STEAL SOME DEATH STAR PLANS."  Because yea, they had no business being there if their mission was to go get Obi-Wan.

I didn't like the kangaroo pouch aspect at all besides the fact it made that last incredible sequence happen.  From the tone of the first several mins of movie it was already apparrent that the "Beaming" aspect/languge would be used, so Tantive IV was going to be present in the end scene one way or another to recieve that and play right in to ANH.  I guess they just pieced together the most sensical way to make all that happen with what they had. 

Not to mention the constant reminder of this is where Anakin Skywalker truly (?) died and the masked monster was born.  To constantly remind him that Obi-Wan was still out there and had beaten him.  Just more logs on the fire pit of a burning world.

100% agree with that perspective on Vader and Mustafar being home to him.  It is the root of his identity and his cradle.  A reflection of the molten igneous brew landscape in his shimmering black eye plates offers a fitting introspection.

I want to know who his Igor is though.

I really appreciated the towering black citadel/castle he was in,  I felt it was a EU fan-nod to Bast Castle (which was on Vjun in EU, but good enough to me here to make it canon!).

And K-2's death was possibly the saddest moment in the movie.

I liked seeing Vader in the middle of the film, but Mustafar?  really?  THAT'S where he decided to hang out?  It seems like he would want to stay as far away from that planet as possible.

I didn't understand the importance of Forrest Whitakers character, Saw Gerrerra.  The movie could have cut him out, and saved about 20 minutes.  Maybe.

K2s death was definitely the most emotionally heavy moment.  It felt like a great character went down, a loved sidekickm I know it was just his programming, but damnit he was a zealous devoted partner and soldier!  Hopefully this is as close as we ever get to experiencing the Death of Chewie.

Gerrerra served the role of Jyns skill set background I felt, but as a character overall he felt sort of just tossed in there.  Instead of cutting him out and saving 20, I feel like maybe another 5-10 mins of him in the movie would have given him more definition to feel more in place.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 06:25:00 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline RanesDsane

• SWSF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 01:08:10 PM »

The book actually explains the presence (repairs).  In fact, I think it kinda ruins the end....

- Ranes