Author Topic: OOC: GCW Episode III Pre-Launch Discussion  (Read 68310 times)

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
Re: OOC: GCW Episode III Pre-Launch Discussion
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2013, 03:34:01 PM »
I just need to say that you have COMPLETELY RUINED my plan for wasting the rest of my afternoon at work by putting together the Empire's fleet, as I have only just noticed the general gameplay rules are gone and I cannot figure out my CPs and such. SHAME!

I am now forced to be a productive member of society. How do you sleep at night.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »
I apologize for the delays. I've been on a business trip (which will last until this weekend), which has prevented me from finishing off the GCW pre-launch work. But for a rule of thumb regarding Command Points.... 1 KC (in cost) = 1 CP. If you want to kill time, plan on building at least a 5000 CP Main Fleet. We may start with more CPs than that, but not less.
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2013, 07:52:12 PM »
No apologies necessary. I was merely lamenting the loss of some prime procrastination.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline RanesDsane

• SWSF Member
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2013, 02:01:08 AM »
I apologize for the delays. I've been on a business trip (which will last until this weekend), which has prevented me from finishing off the GCW pre-launch work. But for a rule of thumb regarding Command Points.... 1 KC (in cost) = 1 CP. If you want to kill time, plan on building at least a 5000 CP Main Fleet. We may start with more CPs than that, but not less.

How dare you let your real-life job get in the way of gaming!  What kind of priorities do you have?!?!  ;D
- Ranes

JavinTye

« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »

How dare you let your real-life job get in the way of gaming!  What kind of priorities do you have?!?!  ;D

I still have like 3 more places to go in my Storyline before I even want this sim to start.

And I'm out of town right now. 

... And mostly non functional ...

So take your time on this =P

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »
MUTINY!!!!

. .aww, wait, we're taking the calm patient approach?  *grumble*

Where's Al-Sisi when you need him!?  ;)
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline gallpizi

• SWSF Member
  • Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.
    • Coruscant Pulse Podcast
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2013, 10:51:44 PM »
So, just got the paperback copy of the Han Solo and Corporate Authority Sourcebook in the mail. It's on y'all!
Simming on the SWSF in AOL since 1999.
Let's bring back the glory days!

Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2013, 09:09:26 PM »

Ok rule related question, just came up as I'm making my mock post. . .

I know we been using rule that a Destroyed unit is permitted to get off a final attack before it goes POOF.  Does this include a final movement or no?  If yes, I think it ought to be no.

Reason being it gives Caps a distinct advantage over Fighters/Aux.  With Fighters having to engage in Same location only, Caps get that extra range to their benefit in case of destruction.

Also, second topic of address/slight suggest. . .

CSP engagement.  There is distrinction between Aux and SFs.  In principle it would seem more applicable for either to play the role of being able to occupy the other, at the same req ratio of 1:1 (be it Group to Group, Squad to Squad, or Group to Squad).  This gives slight more flexibility and also helps simplify a game concept by removing a special distinction of sorts.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:54:38 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2013, 09:13:43 PM »
I believe ALL units have a range of "same grid space" but I'll let Hale handle this....

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2013, 09:16:28 PM »
clipped from Combat Simulator OP (original post). . .

6. All movement is 1 grid per turn. No diagonal movement is allowed. Capital Ships may fire at adjacent grids but SF and AUX may only attack targets in the same grid. Fleets must exit hyperspace in Deep Space Zones but can immediately move into the system afterwards.

thats why the Ender is about to be SPACE DUST!
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2013, 10:47:28 AM »
With the old space grid, capital ship weapon ranges of 1 made a lot of sense. But since we're looking at a truncated melee for space battles, "same grid weapon fire" might be more advisable, which is a good observation. This is something we may consider changing for the final rules set. Glad we're mocking it out now.

In a GCWII mock, we tried out the "no movement after getting destroyed" concept and it gave a distinct advantage to ships that had movement of 2 over movement of 1, because they could fire from one grid away, destroy their target, and then run 2 grid spaces... thus preventing the destroyed ship from being able to return fire.

However, since all movement has been normalized to 1, "no movement after getting destroyed" might be best.

I think that's fair?
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »
No Move after Destruction seems unarguably best approach.

Ranges I personally prefer the very slight variation we have right now.  Fighter/Aux same location.  Cap Ships 1.  Again it will give Cap Ships just a little bit of benefit and shape the way people form fleets and fight with little bit more variation.  Totally changes landscape of building a fleet when you start to look at higher UCRs of smaller capital vessels and such.

I recognize the difference the much smaller grid injects in to the dynamic however as opposed to the larger grid we'd been using.  A potential counter to this is to say that with respects to the Low Orbit ring, you must be in Lo Orbit to attack other Lo Orbits located units (works out great with LO as one grid location). Then in reality, the only "range" there is is in High Orbit between Cap Ships, and there's still only 1 potentially safe grid space on the map for you.
~J
SWSF 'til Death