Author Topic: SAM: Socially Acceptable Monsters  (Read 116785 times)

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
Re: GE: SAM
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 08:06:34 PM »
Corellia

Surface: Patten Ranch

Kimber hasn't seen Valerie in almost two weeks. She won't even return her com calls. Reef sends a transmission asking what Valerie's problem is. He is like, totally freaking out. Even Karen has expressed concern which borders on annoyance but that's to be expected. None of their Coronet friends have seen her either.

They are scheduled to depart for the capital in four days.

Worried, she consults her parents. Her mother defers to the Major who tells Kimber that Valerie is "dealing with an emotional fallout." Then he tells her that CorSec has all but given up hope of finding Jerico Gellar alive and there was no easy way to break this to Valerie.

She is taken aback, shocked that her father would be so blunt in handling such a sensitive subject. The details of Jerico Gellar's disappearance hit Valerie hard even though she seldom mentioned it to Kimber. Valerie can be secretive when it comes to personal pain and Kimber respects that. She doesn't want to intrude mostly because she doesn't know what to say. How can she console someone when no one understands what happened? There is not much reassurance in more uncertainty. The Major gave Kimber the same initial explanation he gave Valerie.

"Jerico Gellar was a decorated member of the CorSec family and a dear friend but the years of upholding both our laws and those of the Empire got to him. It was too much. He saw no other choice but to escape despite the consequences of doing so."

An act that desperate seems so extreme, so irrational to her that it barely makes any sense at all.   

Kimber has never been backed into that kind of corner before.

In fact, she has spent most of her life smoothing out Valerie's rough edges. Not everyone is a fan of unabashed forwardness. It takes Kimber's adorable embellishments to talk everyone down from the ledge of defensiveness. Strangely, she finds this brashness mostly admirable and the perfect place to hide behind. No one has ever moved to strike with Valerie standing in front of her. She misses her life here but had been determined to make the most of the experience away. After all, being accepted to North Coruscant is an honor and wonderful opportunity. If she did well there she could do anything. Academics aren't exactly her strong suit but the modeling thing kind of takes the edge off. Gorgeous, in a humble way with a face unblemished by time. Add the tanned little hard-bod and legs most girls would kill for and Kimber is quite the public relations package. She may as well enjoy it. She will only be young once and isn't in it for the credits or the fame. She has always looked past high school with eyes on the CorSec prize. Graduating from NCH would seriously increase her chances of getting into CorSec Academy without her father's help. She would be good enough all by herself. Everything else is just icing on her multi-layered and extensively decorated pink cupcake.

Surface: Coronet City: Gellar Residence

Finality is not as comforting as she imagined it would be.

Surface: One CorSec Plaza: Classified Area

In the silence Kyri ponders Jerico Gellar. That is not even his real name.

The worst part is, Kyri doesn't even know it nor does he ask himself what Jerico would think about all of this. He knows the man too well. At least he did. How did they get here? That's right. He fucked up bad and so Alexander Winton blackmailed Rutherford Gellar using several other executives of the Corporate Sector Authority. To remain in power he was forced to hand over his only grandchild. The scathing evidence produced by the Bureau of Imperial Intelligence would have ruined him personally and financially. The ultimatum was simple; hand over the child or the information is released to board members and shareholders alike.

The Gellar name could not be besmirched and so like all men with power he made a deal that would allow him to keep that power and strengthen his hold on the competitors.

To be a father is to know sacrifice.

Blair Gellar was understandably less than thrilled with this arrangement. She reached out, plead with Kyri to help her. She said someone was after their child. He couldn't, didn't and the child was taken. A year later she threw herself from the top of Rutherford's corporate tower. They say it was the price for his greed.

None the less, Blair's death cleared the way.

Kyri was devastated. The affair had been a moment of weakness that extended into months of weakness. Blair was exotic and passionate with the mystique of a gypsy but a trust fund that would make most investment bankers blush. She was young and wild and for a time it eased the guilt over the fact that he was cheating on his wife. When Lilandra told him she was pregnant, he decided to break off the affair. He wanted to be an honorable family man who served his sector well. Then Blair told him she was also pregnant he knew it was punishment. He almost came to accept that he would have to confess and risk everything he spent his entire life building. He saw it all come crumbling down. Then came Winton. His spin on the situation was cold-blooded but none the less compelling.

Kyri wanted it all and to have it someone was going to have to move stars for it.   

The Patten name could not be besmirched so like all men with power he made a deal that would secure the futures of the one's he loved most.

To be a father is to know sacrifice and Alexander built an alter. Guilt followed by more guilt. Kyri had betrayed his own laws. This was justified for him by the Empire as a situation that did not occur on Corellia and in no way involved a Corellian. No crime was committed. Let the record show.

"It is in everyone's best interest."

By then, Kyri was so distraught he agreed to the plan. An agent of Alexander's choosing would be placed in charge of the child. Soon enough a man showed up with everything to legitimize the lie. Kyri's portion of the deal involved chronologically organizing the fabricated details across the CorSec network. His access and personal programming skills made this easier than it should have been.

For a long time it seemed like it could work. It was working. A solid background and the highest approval from the Major. No one even asked them any questions. As the years passed, assignment become emotional attachment. Once so loyal to the Empire, Jerico grew to care for Valerie. He raised and taught her well. In his eyes, she was his daughter but that was not part of the plan. Kyri tried to dissuade him from acting territorial but his aggressive behavior caught the eye of CorSec's Imperial liaison.

This was eventually reported and soon a call came from Alexander.

Jerico's assignment was to act as guardian and keep her close to Kyri until she was of age and introduced into the arranged environment. From there he was to scale back his presence and allow destiny to take its course. A destiny dictated by a prophecy Kyri Patten has yet to see with his own eyes. The Emperor seemed convinced enough to allocate manpower and resources to helping provide such coverage therefore he was convinced. A man of his stature would not bother if there was no merit to the claim. When the time came, Jerico refused to let go. He would not send her to Coruscant to take part in a charade that he was convinced would take her life. But it wasn't up to him. Kyri could do nothing as a trusted friend openly defied the Empire.

Alexander's men came like thieves in the night.

Jerico was gone, Valerie was alone, Kimber was frightened, Lilandra was asking questions and Kyri was stuck without an official statement.

He did what any good Corellian Major would do for a comrade. He opened a covert investigation outside the knowledge of their Imperial liaison. Almost a year passed before Detective Frank Farmer and his team discovered partial remains beyond the Northern Hills. His suspicions were confirmed. Jerico Gellar was dead and only one person to blame for it.

Only one problem too.

Now the girls hang in a delicate balance with Alexander well within range. He could technically hurt them whenever he wants but why would he? They are "important." That is what he has always told them, what he still tells them....

They are going to change the worlds.   

Kyri no longer believes so much in the prophecy as he does in Alexander's belief in the prophecy. This fanatical response buys time to skew the odds. MagnaCorp is in. The Federation visionary secured. They are waiting on the Corellian go-ahead. The experimental piece that sets the project apart. It's a long shot but he has run through every scenario for Coruscant.

Sacrificing one may save both.

-TBC
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 07:14:31 PM »
These...are the days of our Imperial lives..

Hesperidium

Surface: Bolerathon Tower

Masterton Residence

Karen feels like a shit. How did she not know something was wrong? Melanie said she wasn't feeling good but she never sensed it escalating to the point it reached. The doctors said she was having a full scale panic attack, so much so that her body had to shut down to protect itself. To think of how scary that must have been! St. Claire called and asked that she and D'Arcy return immediately.

They were here in a hot microsecond.

Once they get Melanie settled, D'Acry bids them goodnight but urges them to call should they need anything. Karen walks her out and apologizes for the brevity of the evening. They were on a roll getting to know each other. D'Arcy really seems cool and grounded, someone she could definitely see bringing into the fold. She doesn't know how they suddenly became so exclusive. Once they found each other they all kind of just stopped trying. Weird. Whatever the reason, the group feels complete.

They think they are quite the well-rounded bunch.   

Melanie rests in bed with her legs beneath a thin white sheet. She is propped up against pillows with hands folded in her lap. The crying has stopped but trembles of terror still distort her expression. She seems burdened. Karen feels bad and wants to help but Melanie was always a bit theatrical when it comes to dreamscapes and nightmares. She has learned to take these musings with a grain of salt.

Then she goes makes it interesting.

"I didn't tell him everything..."

An unexpected twist for the virtuous blond.

"You..lied? You did? That is so unlike you. I'm glad to see you loosening up."

"I didn't lie. I omitted."

"I thought you said that was lying?"

"Oh so now you pay attention to the things I say?"

"Only when it serves as a counterpoint."

Karen laughs.

"Okay, so you didn't feel like sharing with stupid St. Claire. I don't blame you. I wouldn't tell him anything either."

"I saw something."

"Yes, you said it was a monster. That's awful."

Melanie swallows hard, "It wasn't just a monster. The monster had a face."

"Who's face?"

"Alexia's."

Karen sits back sharply, floored.

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

"Trippy. What did the rest of it look like?"

"I can't remember....it was tall, towering over me and it's voice...it's voice...a shriek....I'll never be able to get that out of my head."

"Sure you will. It was just a bad dream."

"I still hear it..."

"Mel..."

"I don't think this is random, I don't think it's a coincidence..."

"That you are seeing monsters or that monster looks like my sister?"

She is borderline hysterical.

"Both!"

"Okay, now you are sounding crazy. What did the doctor give you and can I have some? Before you prepare your lecture just think of how much fun it will be to be laced out together..."

"She's coming."

"Alexia hasn't even visited on a holiday. I doubt she'll be swinging by anytime soon."

"Do you know where she is right now?"

"Boarding school, duh."

"School's out, Karen but if you want to shrug it off like that fine. Then where? In what system? What planet? Summer is half over! Where is she?"

"Who cares!? She's not running around causing a ruckus and suddenly we're quasi-famous? No shit it's not a coincidence! Alexia makes everyone nervous. She's better out of the way. Now we can all relax."

"Do I look relaxed to you?"

"Actually, no. You are starting to scare me."

Melanie's blue eyes shutter with intensity, "I think....we should be."

-TBC
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 07:20:33 PM »
Coruscant

The ads hit the city on Friday night, appearing first on the Esplanade then everywhere else. The rich need someone young to envy while the young need attractive role models to aspire to become. Even the worst parts of the capital display these images because the poor cannot fully realize their situation without dangling something expensive in front of them - always out of reach but always in their eye lines. Every social class has a marketing strategy. Finally, the ads are broadcast to all affiliated worlds via the HoloNet as the last shreds of their personal privacy suddenly disappear.

Karen for Raga'Ana - Imperial Girl Collection

Melanie for Raga'Ana - Imperial Girl Collection

Kimber for Raga'Ana - Imperial Girl Collection

Valerie for Raga'Ana - Imperial Girl Collection

Meanwhile, blissfully unaware....

Hesperidium

Dramz to the max!

D'Arcy calls Billy to share the deets but gets an earful of her own. Apparently Reef is pretty pissed at Valerie who, according to Kimber, has been a total recluse. Lucas is hurt no one let him know about Melanie sooner while Skyler has already sent flowers with a get-well card. The consensus is there needs to be a mandatory weekend trip which is thrown together and implemented on the fly. Sure enough, they arrive on Friday afternoon full of questions. With Melanie still resting, Karen secures D'Arcy as reinforcement. She will attempt to explain both situations but if there is anything she has learned from her mother it's that sordid gossip is best served with cocktails. A few cold ale's bring everyone down to a manageable level but Reef is still fuming so she starts there.

"Valerie will come around."

"One minute she's all up in my face and the next she's shutting me out."

"Look, how much do you know about her?"

He smirks, "In what way?"

"Personality and background, buddy. What do you know about where she's from? Do you know what her life was like there?"

"No parents but still loaded so like, whatever..."

"So like, she is probably dealing with some shit right now? Instead of acting like a douche maybe your time would be better spent trying to be supportive."

"I barely see my parents but I'm not all fucked up. No need to go get all hardcore about it."

Billy stifles a laugh, D'Arcy punches him for it, and Lucas' mouth drops open. Skyler has learned not to put anything past Reef and prepares himself accordingly. Karen is typically and defensively reactive with a side of rich creamy sarcasm.

"Your parents are safe and sound on Mandalore, Reef. Her mother is dead and her father disappeared. Kimber said CorSec can't find him and have recently called off the search. Can you say "devastated" or is that like, beyond your comprehension?"

"Oh."

Lucas, Billy, and D'Arcy flinch. The point is seriously made.

"Yeah, oh. So calm down and cut her some slack."

Reef frowns and falls back against the couch.

Karen glances at everyone else. Looks like it was news to them too. Suddenly uncomfortable, they nods slowly as if processing the information. Whoops. She may have just crossed a line but there was no way to justify Valerie's behavior without leveling with them. Or was there? Hard to tell or failure to care?

Questions, questions.

Lucas stands and excuses himself to check on Melanie.

Skyler takes her hand, "Speaking of Mel, how is she?"

"Better, I guess. She's been a bit withdrawn...."

It begs another question. Does she spin the panic attack story to downplay it's potential severity or come clean about the fact that they possess abilities outside those of the general populous? She did just lay out Valerie's personal shit but would feel better about telling them if everyone was here. Valerie and Kimber should probably be privy to that information. Surprise, we're freaks! What would they say? She knows Lucas has inquired about it but Melanie has thwarted his curiosity at every turn. They can't keep lying to their friends though despite what her father says. Maybe it won't be such a big deal, really, even though it's widely known that Vader is the last with the exception of rumored up-and-comers including Alexia, Karen and Melanie. These things aren't supposed to be public knowledge. Her father thinks it could put them in danger for anyone wishing to harm the Empire. She supposes that could be true but the point of having a trusted network of confidantes is to share and deal with the vast trivialities of life. Exactly how much is she willing to risk for them?

"Karen? You okay?"

"Yeah, fine. It's been a long couple of days. We should make something for the troops. Drama does stimulate the appetite. You game?"

"Meet me in the kitchen in five."

"See you there, slim."

Lucas finds Melanie curled up on the couch reading in the Masterton Suite. She smiles when she sees him and pats the area beside her. He sits carefully and sighs. She can sense he has come for the answers to questions she has avoided.

"I was worried."

"I know."

"That's the thing isn't it. You always know but never tell me how."

"I thought we've been over this..."

"No, you promised me an explanation. Five months ago."

Melanie pushes her blond hair over her shoulder as she sits upright. Her expression is slightly creased with concern then acceptance. She knows she should probably consult Karen before spilling anything but has never felt a threat or ulterior motive from Lucas. The sensitive athlete you see is the sensitive athlete you get.

"I'm different."

"So you keep saying. Mel, please. Tell me what's wrong."

She nods then raises her eyes to meet his.

"How much do you know about the Force?"

That's not the direction he expected this to take.

"The Force? I thought that was some kind of crazy religious thing."

"It exists in all living things, Lucas. Even you. The biological aspect is only going to confuse you so I will spare you the mental anguish."

"I'm not a moron, Melanie."

"I didn't say you were. I would just prefer to keep it simple."

"Fair enough."

"The Force is strong in my family. My mother specifically. She has always felt a great connection to life and the many wonders it brings. This trait, like many others, is something than can be passed down. It was passed down to me."

Lucas tilts his head to the right.

"That's how you know? You can see the future?"

"It's complicated."

"Try me."

"I have read one's connection to the Force can manifest in different ways. Some are more physical manipulations like those of the Emperor and his henchman, Vader. Others tend to be emotional. For me, it's the ladder. I feel things more strongly than most and that can trigger visual side effects...."

"Like the night of the accident?"

"Yes."

"You saw that skiff crash. You saved me."

"It has benefits as well as risks."

"Was I an acceptable one?"

"Yes."

He smiles, lost in thought.

"You think this is cool?"

"Isn't it? You are like a superhero or something."

She touches his hand softly.

"Not everyone has such noble intentions, Lucas which is why no one can know. My parents would be upset that I shared this with you."

"You are worried what your parents will think?"

"It's not just them. The Empire has many enemies."

"All political factions do."

"Not like this. Going public with my ability would be unwise for everyone involved. Why risk our safety to give those who would do me harm ideas?"

"Good point."

"You won't tell anyone?"

"No but I think you should at least consider telling the others. I mean, I assume Karen knows about this."

"Yes, she knows."

"Who else?"

"The Emperor knows too," she says distantly.

Lucas' face clouds over with terror, "He...does? How does he know?"

She remains calm with wide blue eyes that shimmer in the fading sunlight.

"He could feel us through the Force when I was born. He is the reason my family was ever in the capital in the first place."

"Why?"

"I don't know but now you see why this isn't something I bring up at social functions. If this becomes public I will become a target. I am telling you this because I trust you, Lucas. Do you understand?"

"No, no, I totally get it. Not a word, I promise."

"Thank you."

He nods deftly as he stands. Something seems to have changed. He wanted to know so badly but now he wonders if this makes him some sort of accessory. They were allowed many freedoms because of who their parents were but all were aware of the invisible line that dare not be crossed. To tamper with the Imperial machine would mean jeopardizing the fantastical and fluid world they exist in. He isn't sure he is ready to take that risk and so he will keep her secret.

How much does she know? Can she see into his future? Would the Empire use her to find the Alliance?

Melanie feels his uncertainty grow and raises her eyes to him. The gaze washes over him. He extends a hand.

"The others are worried too and making an appearance would ease everyone's anxiety."

She takes his hand and stands.

"Then let's make an appearance."

-TBC
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 01:42:02 PM »
Days later...

Hesperidium

Surface: Imperial Beach

White sand, chaise lounges and a giant white umbrella.

"I can't believe you told him."

Melanie barely moves, "I can't believe you busted open your father's liquor cabinet to steadily drink yourself into a stupor all summer but some things cannot be helped. He deserves to know, Karen. They all do."

"You can let go of the self-righteousness any time."

"Fine, don't take me seriously. What do I know?"

"Apparently a lot more than I do! You see flashes, spill our secrets and judge me to death."

"You are still breathing."

"Barely."

Finally, she turns.

"Why are you so angry about this? Lucas is not someone you have to worry about."

"Yet you keep him stationed on first base."

"So, you waved Skyler into home?"

Karen gasps, "What? No. I am hardly a trollop unlike some people we know."

"You brought it up."

"Aren't we testy today? I am just trying to have a conversation with you."

"So converse, Karen."

She sighs, "What are we going to do about Valerie? They get back tomorrow."

"After she finds out you betrayed her trust? I suspect we'll be calling St. Claire in to keep her from killing you."

"That is so not funny."

Melanie adjusts her sunglasses, "But none the less true. Who is spilling secrets now?"

"From you. Look, all I was trying to do was rationalize what she's going through for those who obviously don't have a clue."

"They didn't know because Valerie chose not to tell them. She may have eventually but you took that choice away."

"What was I supposed to do?"

"Tell them she is dealing with some family issues and leave it at that."

"You make it sound so simple."

"It is simple."

"Sure, let's just put out a press release in the North Coruscant Wave. The whole school will become completely suspicious and mistrustful. Our parents would ground us for eternity. We could kiss our status goodbye!"

"Is that the worst thing that can happen?"

"In high school? Yes!"

"Lucas agreed to discretion. I am certain the others would too."

"Why is it so important to tell them?"

"Why is it so important to keep it a secret?"

Karen frowns sharply.

"Because we don't even know what it all means. They told us we are special but never offered any follow-up. We haven't been trained and they barely mention it anymore. It's like they pretend it doesn't exist and a part of me is scared to find out why."

"Maybe it is time we stop being afraid and start getting answers."

"And just how are we going to do that?"

"By finding out what happened to your sister."

-TBC
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2010, 02:15:37 PM »
Hesperidium

Surface

The transport arrives into the spaceport on schedule.   

Valerie barely said a thing after she showed up at the Patten Ranch and the Major took them to catch their flight. He remained guarded but attempted to reassure her there was always a place for her on Corellia. She nodded, eyes hidden behind giant sunglasses and walked away. Alarmed, Kimber did her best to be supportive in allowing Valerie emotional space.

Finally, back on the resort moon, Kimber can remain silent no longer.

"Why won't you talk to me?"

Valerie sighs, "What is there to say?"

"I dunno, how about starting with where you've been for the past few weeks. I had to fend off our outraged friends while you were out doing whatever it is you were doing."

"Who did you tell?"

"Karen."

"And what did you tell her?"

"The truth, Val. I told her the truth."

For a moment, Valerie's face flashes with anger. When the Major told her CorSec called off the search for her father, she was reduced to a lost little girl. A girl without a frame of reference. She had held out hope he would turn up somewhere and explain everything but that hope was shattered by a trail that had long since turned cold. Her hope died with the investigation and now she doesn't quite know what to do. Self-destructive high-risk behaviors come naturally and so she reached for anything she could find to dull the roar of questions now blaring through her mind. In the end, there was no choice but to return to the capital and finish what she had started.

"The truth," she laughs bitterly. "The truth is the only luxury we seem to be denied."

"You are my best friend. I want to help you."

"You can't help me!"

This outburst echoes and causes others in the spaceport to stare. Kimber grabs her arm roughly, a move so shocking it jars Valerie out of her haze.

"Then the least you can do is stop acting out and consider letting me in. I have been patient and respectful of your pain because sometimes people need to work through their own issues. This isn't working through anything, this is shutting out those who care about you the most. The point of having friends is knowing there is always someone to talk to. We may not fully understand but you aren't really giving us a chance to try."

Valerie is on the verge of tears, anger giving way to something soft and unfamiliar. Still, she does not break.

"Can we just go?"

Kimber releases her arm and motions toward the doors.

Outside, moisture soaks into skin instantly. Everything is dewy and fresh. The sun is so much more intoxicating and the breeze off the ocean kilometers away brings everything back into a more manageable perspective. A townspeeder takes them to the Bolerathon Tower. Droids cart their bags into freight turbolifts as they wander along the vast glaring walkways. They are cleared through two security checkpoints and whisked up to the penthouse floor.

St. Claire nods as they pass.

"Welcome back, ladies."

Kimber waves, "Thanks, are they in?"

"Waiting anxiously for you inside, I'm sure."

Valerie glares hatefully at the snide Imperial Agent as Kimber leads her down the hall to the Winton suite. Melanie answers and the squeals and screaming begin. There is even a banner that reads Welcome Back Kim & Val! with an impressive spread of nibbles that suddenly seems far too suspicious for Valerie's taste. She stops in the middle of the living room and turns to Karen.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"I'm sorry?"

"You heard me."

"Doing?"

"Clueless doesn't really work for you and this whole thing is way over the top. You didn't miss me that much."

Karen glances quickly at Melanie who lowers her gaze. It's like the girl is psychic or something with the casual way she just predicts this shit. Valerie seems even more rigid and aggressive than she did when they first met. Yet Karen knows Melanie didn't tell Valerie anything which is why she is hesitant to drop the act.

"Who says I missed you? This is more for Kimber."

Kimber perks up, "Really? Oh that is so sweet of you guys!"

"We did miss you," Melanie says sincerely, always on the high road.

Valerie is still staring heatedly at Karen. She needs someone to take it out on and knows just the target.

Karen blinks, "What?"

"I hear you got the scoop on the Corellia sitch."

Kimber looks anxious and Melanie crosses her arms.

"We all did and truly, I am sorry about.-"

"Save it, Kar. I have no doubt you were the mouthpiece that relayed the sordid tale to the masses so I have to ask, what did you say that prompted such a spectacular soirée?"

"Um, hello? Paranoid?"

"Am I?"

"Okay for once no, but it isn't as horrendous as you might think. Kimber did tell me what was up when I asked about you, like genuinely. Reef was upset and everyone else was asking questions. We were just worried, Val."

"How much of the story did you share exactly?"

"Maybe....the whole thing. But really, if you think-"

Valerie's left arm moves in a blur to slap Karen across the face. This act cuts her off mid-sentence for maximum effect. Kimber gasps. Melanie reaches for her com-link but Karen raises a hand to stop her.

"Don't, it's fine. I deserved that and have something to offer in return."

Her eyes narrow into slits.

"You want to make a deal? I can't believe you."

"An exchange of information. Something to balance the scales. There is something we need to tell you anyway. Something we should have told you both."

Melanie arches a brow, wondering if she will actually do it. The conversation they had yesterday seemed to sink in. Karen has become curious as well. The visions scare her and she cannot understand them. There has to be a starting point and it happens to be the most obvious question. Alexia's notable and startling absence has left a void in the what appears to be a flawless exterior. She senses a secrecy that involves their unique gifts. Trusting those closest to them with information may provide more opportunities as well as much needed perspective.

"What could you possibly have to tell me that would make up for-"

It all comes spilling out.

"We're Force-sensitive! Melanie, Alexia and I. We're...different. Our parents were summoned to the Core when the Emperor felt us. We were to be kept close. Creepy, right? He and Vader know about us but haven't made so much as a menacing com-call the whole time we've been here. If that isn't enough my sister hasn't been seen or heard from in almost a year and keeping this from you guys probably wasn't the smartest move. We want you to make an informed decision. So, yeah, that's the shit and now you know and I'm sorry."

Valerie is stunned silent, rocked by the revelation. She has only heard stories of those who were murdered on a mass scale for possessing such abilities. The Empire keeps that kind of thing scarce in fear of the enemy within. The missing sister thing sets off more alarms.

Kimber makes a face, tries to say something, stops, then tilts her head to the right.

"So, like, you guys are all...Forcey?"

Melanie swoops in for the assist.

"Yes and we are confiding in you because we trust you. Both of you."

Valerie's rage is tempered by this admission. Something about it feels fair and vaguely dangerous.

"Prove it."

"What?"

"I said prove it. You can't just drop something like that in a conversation without backing it up."

Karen sighs, extending her hand toward the coffee table. She focuses solely on the circular platform candle holder. As children, Alexia was always more interested in this kind of stuff and made sure to show Karen two handy tricks should either of them be in a bind. It was the only known moment of actual bonding. Alexia taught her how to move or call small objects from short distances and subtly influence the mind to get what they wanted. Both of these acts struck Karen as lazy and irresponsible but she had secretly practiced them on her own. But where did Alexia learn these tricks? The candle holder shutters before sliding forward as if dragged by an invisible hand. Karen exhales sharply and turns her gaze to Valerie. This seems to have taken considerable effort and weakened her.

Valerie smirks, impressed, then looks to Melanie.

"Now you."

"I can't do things like that."

"What can you do?"

Melanie shakes her head, "My gift lies more in the emotional aspect of a situation. I feel things very strongly and most of the time I don't know why. Usually, we would have been trained at a young age and raised in the ways of the Force but not us."

"Why not?" Kimber says suddenly, stepping closer to them.

"That's what we are trying to find out. We think Alexia may have something to do with it."

"Your sister?"

"Yeah."

Now Valerie is very interested.

"I thought you said she was pulled out of North Coruscant and sent to boarding school."

Karen frowns, "That's what I was told but....we don't think that's the entire truth."

"Did you ask your parents?"

"I called them last night. My mother said ask my father. My father wouldn't answer his com. Then I got to thinking about it and realized neither one of them has so much as uttered her name. That's weird, right?"

Kimber nods, "Very."

"The only other places that might tell us are Five Hundred Republica or my father's office at the Imperial Palace. We'll be back on the capital soon so I guess it can wait until then."

Valerie arches a brow, "Why is it so important to know?"

"Do you really have to ask?"

"No but I still want to know."

Karen's jaw tightens before she speaks.

"I may not have had much use for Alexia when she was around. In fact, she was unpredictable and borderline psychotic but she is still my sister. If she is not where she is supposed to be I want to know why because there really isn't anything to stop the Empire for one day coming for Melanie and I."

Melanie feels the point driven home. Kimber gets the chills.

Valerie realizes this would be a good time to spill what she knows, what with the secrets and gossip. The Major knew about them before they did. Did he also know about their abilities? Was the Winton on the com Alexander? What the hell is going on? She has to stop herself just like she stops herself from revealing too much. Valerie is still much too hurt to share and so she remains on topic.

"Thanks for letting us know."

Kimber steps closer to the group, "Seriously. We can keep it under wraps too. Won't we, Val?"

"Yes, under wraps. My lips are sealed."

Karen gazes at her skeptically. Yeah, she'd believe it when she sees it.

Melanie assesses the situation.

"This does not bother you? There is potential risk. Neither of us can know what the Empire may or may not do. We would certainly understand if you both wanted to walk away for safety sake."

Kimber goes and says something sensible.

"Can anyone really know what the Empire will do next?"

Then she says something else.

"If you guys get super powerful then I want immunity, okay? In writing."

Finally, Valerie laughs. She hasn't done that in weeks.

Melanie smiles, "You got it."

Out in the corridor, Agent St. Claire answers his com.

"Well?"

"Gellar and Patten arrived today as planned. They are with them now."

"Good. See that they are transported to Coruscant safely at the end of the week and then you will take your leave of them."

"Sir?"

"You have babysat long enough, Scott. I think it is time to utilize the skills that first brought us together. There is a project that is of particular interest to the Empire. A project involving what has potential to be the next experimental step in droid evolution."

"Sir, the Empire's firm policy on-"

"There are uses for everything and everyone."

"Of course, sir."

"Transport the Four to the capital and await my instructions."

-TBC
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 11:26:36 AM »
Three days later...

Coruscant

Surface

The cruiser illegally breaks from the skylane and descends into Galactic City. It sails past the Senate building and then pulls sharply across the Esplanade. Everything is framed by the menacing backdrop of the Imperial Palace. The cruiser first stops at the Hyperion Building to drop off Kimber and Valerie before finally making its way across to an executive platform on Five Hundred Republica. The sky is burnt orange blended with a deep purple that begins to bend the shadows.

St. Claire meets them near the ramp.

Melanie gathers her things and breezes past him to follow the bellmen droids across the platform walkway while Karen lingers, smiling slyly.

"Well, thanks again for yet another fascinating lesson in drunk driving."

"I'm afraid it will be our last."

"Good," she laughs, stepping onto the ramp. "One of these days I'll surely report you. Catch you later."

"No, you won't."

She pauses, snickering lowly.

"You have something better to do?"

"I've been reassigned."

Now she turns to him, crimson hair caught in the breeze.

"To what?"

"Classified."

"That is so lame, even for you. No formal announcement? No hug? You are just going to leave?"

"Pretty much yeah. Please try to contain your grief."

Karen gasps, "Go to hell."

"Harsh words for such a small girl."

"I am not what I seem."

"No, you are not but that hardly gives you license to step out of line. I've done my job and no harm has come to you. Now it is time to do something else. Don't worry, there will always be someone calling the shots."

"Oh yeah? Like who?"

"Probably not anyone nearly as charming and patient, I'm sure but somehow I think you'll manage. Protecting four spoiled schoolgirls who can barely grasp concepts beyond next weekend and their equally dense friends isn't exactly the kind of challenge a standard Imperial Agent seeks out. It takes a special breed to put up with your particular brand of vapid arrogance and now I am being rewarded for it. Another moment with you and I just might kill myself."

Karen's eyes widen with the severity of his words.

"Now get off my ship."

"You are such a jerk, St. Claire! A louse! A scoundrel! An asshole!!" she screams as she storms down the ramp.

Scott St. Claire hits the controls and hopes this is the last time he ever lays eyes on Princess Karen Elizabeth Winton. In the cockpit there is a message waiting and  it takes several minutes to decode. Information begins to display across the screen in the form of pictures attached to bios. The heading outlines an objective and a location. Names beneath faces serve as reference and marked confidential.

Medivh; Trade Federation Viceroy, primary contact

Len Gesser; Trade Federation Operative

Kyri Patten; Corellian Security Force Major

Vital Ezee; Administrator of The Wheel

Greyson Antilles; MagnaCorp shareholder and board member

The list goes on. Details accompany names and faces. A clusterfuck is forming in his head followed closely by the realization that those he watched over may be far more unaware than he first thought. After setting the designated course, St. Claire pulls on the controls and ascends into the sky.

Hyperion Building

Galatea Suite

Valerie stares through the windows as Kimber meticulously checks the plants to make sure they are all alive. She wonders for a moment if she belongs anywhere. She feels like a stranger. With Kimber preoccupied, Valerie takes her bags into her room and closes the door. The silence is rather inviting. She unzips a beach tote and reaches inside only to pull out a custom make blaster.

It is Jerico Gellar's CorSec sidearm that she found hanging in what was once his closet. No good Agent would ever leave it behind yet there it was, hiding in plain sight. To her it is a message that signifies he did not leave of his own free will. He left it for her to find so that she would know. She did not breathe a word of it to anyone and packed it away with the rest of her luggage that would return with her to the capital. She can't shake the feeling that there are connections yet to be made and the recent Force-revelation only amplifies it. She promised the Major she would look out for Kimber and that is exactly what she will do.

Five Hundred Republica

Masterton Residence

Melanie's heels echo through the empty apartment. The air is scented with traces of namana extract that intoxicates the senses. She smiles dreamily, happy to be home, and taps on the primary lights. There is a sweet message from her parents welcoming her home with promises to join her soon. They wish her luck at the premiere and not to be nervous. She's going to do great. For a moment it all seems alright. Pressure off, secrets out, new school year, loving and supportive parents. The whole pretty package. Then she remembers what she saw in her mind. The sickening feeling that plagued her for days. The anxiety. That face. She has not found a way to fully rid herself of the images and takes a moment to focus on her breathing.

In with the love, out with the fear. In with the love, out with the fear.

Winton Residence

There is fury and outrage!

Karen blows through the front door and stomps across the foyer. Why the nerve of that stupid St. Claire! ? How can he be so callous? So cold?! Well, outside the training and all. It's not like they are friends or anything but she had gotten used to his presence and become fond of their ridiculous verbal spats. She had someone to practice on and because of this she had been able to perfect her NCH persona. Every line was delivered with a tactical efficiency. St. Claire led by example. Now she would have to break in an entirely new head of security. The thought seems daunting and dreadful but a rush of fresh air directs her mind elsewhere. It is then she realizes she is not alone. Dropping her purse, she steps down into the living room. There is a figure outlined against one of the open patio doors. This is usually the time she would freak out but something about it all feels so familiar. The figure turns, moving into the glow of the last few rays  of light. Full lips are pulled into a trademark sneer.

"Miss me?"

Karen's face goes slack, mouth parting in a confusing mixture of surprise and relief.

"Alexia?"

-TBC
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »
Coruscant

Surface: Bolerathon Tower: Winton Residence

Welcome to What-The-Fuck-Central.

Neither girl looks the same as they did the last day they saw each other in this very living room. Alexia's hair is shorter, cut unevenly around the shoulders of what appears to be a black combat modified jumpsuit. She wears no make-up and her emerald eyes seem brighter and more intense. A blaster hangs from the holster around her waist. Karen, however, seems soft and demure by comparison with the designer ribbed pink tank top, white pleated skirt and heeled strappy sandals. Several moments pass as they absorb and process the stark contrast to one another. Karen's surprise gives way to curiosity so she takes a less defense stance and moves closer.

"Where have you been? No one has heard anything from you for like, ever."

"You sound concerned."

"Well, yeah. Kinda. You don't call, you don't write and it's not like anyone tells me anything. Hello, leave me without a press release why don't you?"

"I was on Carida."

"Something about that sounds familiar-ish. Wait a freaking microsecond, what boarding school do you attend exactly?"

"The Carida Academy."

"Isn't that...an Imperial training facility? For like, Stormtroopers and Agents?"

"It sure is."

"Our parents sent you to boot camp? Way harsh! Why didn't you say anything?! We could have totally sprung you from that place."

Alexia shifts her weight and turns.

"Who says I wanted to leave? It's where I needed to be."

The expression on Karen's face falls slightly.

"So, what? You return reformed? Is that what's happening here?"

"In a sense, yes. There are things you have been asking yourself lately, things you want to know. I come bearing answers."

Karen shutters even in the warm breeze. Alexia never fails to turn up the creep factor when she gets all preachy. Always going on about how easily they could use what they had been given to skew all the odds in their favor. She tried so hard to shine and seemed never to care that she was catching on fire. A serious hazard to everyone around her. Karen watched her crash and burn so many times the same mistakes were that much easier to avoid. Karen sidestepped them all to become what she thought was her parents pride and joy. She was the pretty girl with an alluring and socially acceptable array of first world problems. Alexia was just a mess.

Now she stands here after a year of secret Imperial training and Maker knows what else to claim she has a juicy scoop? Karen is highly skeptical.

"Alright then, why would you need to be somewhere like that? I mean, military training? Come on! That seems a bit excessive for our parents let alone something you would choose yourself. There are plenty of independent study programs that can help you. I don't see why things must always be violence-oriented with you."

"You know why. We're special."

"Oh I am so tired of hearing that."

Alexia laughs as the room lights flicker and dim.

"We both know that's not true. One look at your latest narcissistic endeavor proves that."

"So you do keep up with pop culture." Karen scoffs, "What a hypocrite."

"Saw the ads. They are kind of hard to miss. Love the shoes. Glam group shots too. Lots of Imperial team spirit. A bit exploitative though, don't you think?"

"It's an outfit, Alexia. Get a grip."

"Your tits are practically hanging out. You aren't even sixteen yet."

"Says the brainwashed barely year and a half older sibling! I can't show off my style skills but you can be shown how to shoot things up? That is seriously unfair."

"No, it's exactly the point. You are allowed your freedoms as I am allowed mine."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Alexia begins to circle her sister.   

"It means you are off the hook."

"What...hook? What are you talking about?"

"Our powers? Melanie's astounding clarity? Our relocation and cushy life? You think it just happened like that? We've been under observation our whole lives, waiting for signs we would be useful to them. Sooner or later someone was going to be called upon. My interest in our abilities, my connection to the Force, my problems...

...I do this so you and Melanie can continue doing what you do. You are safe from the  Emperor's whims so long as I accept my destiny and serve."

Karen is horrified by this admission. Something ominous stirs beneath that sun-kissed and pouty exterior. She knew something was up but not anything like this. Vague connections to Melanie's vision are attempted but she is too stunned to draw any real conclusions.

"Destiny? Serve? What happened to you out there?"

"I found my way and you no longer have worry about our shared genetic parting gifts robbing you of the socialite life you seem to think you are entitled to. That life is yours to live."

"As long as you do what? Be a slave? No way, Alex. No way! We can find another way."

"Is a military contract so different from a modeling contract?"

It stings and she hates the implications but reacts just the same.   

Karen grabs Alexia to stop her from circling.

The whole thing is making her dizzy.

"I can't say I'm surprised you don't see the distinction but whatever. Is this what you really want? To serve the Empire by letting them exploit your knack for destruction?"

"No one is exploiting anything. I am to be trained as a Sith and protect our Empire."

Karen's mouth falls open. She can't help it. Nightmares jump from mind to manifestation. All the worst fears she had about her sister are playing out in a posh living room in Five Hundred Republica. Such casual scandal!

"A Sith? Alexia, that's....that's...insane. That's dangerous! Look at Vader? He's like, a psychotic asthmatic machine! And Palpatine? FUGLY!  There are so many stories of people abusing this power and it never ends well! For anyone!"

"First time for everything."

"Wow, you have reached a whole new level of delusion..."

"You think I'm crazy?"

"Sadly, this is par for the course in your case but what about mom and dad? They are totally going to shit a skyscraper!"

Alexia pulls free of Karen's grasp and steps back into shadows.

"They've given their blessing."

"They wouldn't dare."

"Are you going to call them on Naboo or shall I?"

They stare fiercely at one another.

"You are telling me they agree with this decision? They are just going to hand you over to the Emperor."

"Not the Emperor. There is another potential, someone with a deep and real connection to the dark side of the Force. Someone who can show me how to protect us all."

"From what?"

"You don't get it, do you?"

"Clearly not."

"Yes, clearly. There are conspiring forces out there, Karen. More than what appears on the social horizon. People who would do anything to get their hands on Imperial assets they might use against the Empire. They want to dismantle it from the inside. Palpatine knows this thus why I must be trained. If anyone were to find out about you, Melanie or any of the other potentials they would have all the resources they need."

Karen's guilty heart begins to race.

"Who's going to find out?"

Alexia frowns.

"What? What's that face mean?"

"You do not have a stellar track record when it comes to keeping secrets."

"My friends are fine, Alex. I'm sure dad had them all checked out otherwise they would never be cleared to interact with us outside school."

"Friends can be bought and sold."

"Not these friends."

"You sound so certain."

"I am."

"In that case I hope your faith is well placed but it does not change anything for me. This is what I want for myself and for my family. Someone needs to utilize this gift we were given. That is why I must go."

Alexia brushes past and heads for the door.

Karen sighs, defeated by all that has been said. She turns and calls out.

"Well, who is going to protect us until you get back? St. Claire was pulled off our detail."

"Agent St. Claire's obligation lies elsewhere. For now."

"So he'll be back?"

"Eventually, yes. Don't worry, our father has taken great care to make sure you and the others will be watched over. Enjoy what you've made for yourself. We're all proud that you have capitalized on what comes most natural. Do not let needless worry dampen your happiness. Nothing is going to happen."

"And if it does?"

Alexia pauses, head turned slightly, hand braced against the door.

"You will be safe as long as The Four remain together."

Then she is gone.

Bolerathon Tower: Exterior: Landing platform

As she powers up the shuttle, Alexia opens a com channel to the Outer Rim. The voice comes through crisp.

"Did she buy it?"

She pictures the look on Karen's face, the concern creasing her delicate features, the sincerity Alexia no longer feels.

"Yes, she bought it."

-TBC
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 07:18:11 PM »
Coruscant

Surface

It is the night of the Maranski premiere. Tension is high. Maxi Marx calls to cover the revised details of the evening. Sticking to the schedule is imperative and this is repeated at least six times. Limo at seven, red carpet by eight, event at nine-thirty, home by midnight. No after-parties or Maxi would catch hell from their parents who somehow collectively agreed their involvement in the industry should remain goal-specific. The girls are to be highly visible in these outfits but beyond the reach of those who would prey upon them. Producers, mostly. Everyone is looking for the next great romantic lead but the primary objective is to be seen and not heard.

Karen hurriedly agrees to these terms and says goodbye in a language she doesn't speak as the stylist tugs too hard on her hair. She curses, scolding him for being so violent while she is getting lectured by the powers that be. He compliments her shoes. She forgives him. A movie premiere means pulling out all the stops. Best dressed list ranking could make or break the whole path of someone's career which is why Raga'Ana's specialized styling team is hard at work making sure everyone personifies the statement they want to make about themselves. Every one of the dresses is distinctive to each girl. After Maxi caught the photage of Valerie's couture Corellian brawl she proposed to the designer, Claudius Raga'Ana, that broadening his vision to include the unique personalities of these girls would exponentially increase their appeal and audience. Everyone was bound to relate to one of them and thus the premiere designs were altered.

Karen in black: Scoop neck, form-fitting, floor-length gown.

Melanie in white: Billowy ankle-length dress.

Kimber in pink: Halter dress with bejeweled belt worn high above frilly folds of fabric.

Valerie in red: Tight beaded Garçonne dress.

After the stylists vanish, they have only a few minutes to themselves. Everyone is careful not to smudge anything and uses the time to carefully rearrange items in their impossibly small purses. Karen stares at her reflection in the mirror. She has been sitting on the Alexia information for almost a week. The experience had left her feeling unsettled and moderately disturbed. On one hand the outcome was pretty good. Alexia has a way to channel all that pent up aggression doing the Empire's bidding while Karen and company live it up. On the other, her sister doesn't have a choice in the matter and their parents are perfectly fine with it. This is not something she wants to believe. So she pokes around her father's home office to find organized copies of contracts, the occasional office memo about someone's birthday or company sponsored event and the jackpot. A spare key to the RepulsorCorp offices. Unfortunately, this is located inside the Imperial Palace and Karen cannot yet bring herself to go there alone. She stashes the key away for consideration. While she weighs the importance of knowing, the premiere awaits.

The door chime sounds at six-forty-five sharp.

Agent Nikoli Venko, the hunky new head of security, asks if they are ready to leave. He is fresh out of the Academy and looks to be taking his first real assignment very seriously and, as an added bonus, his manners have not been completely diluted by the Imperial ideal. Due to the nature of the event, Nikoli is dressed in a fitted black tuxedo with his dark hair slicked back and weapons carefully concealed.

Valerie slinks toward the door almost reflexively. Karen falls into step beside her.

"Dry yourself, he's not here to service you."

"Isn't he?"

"In a much less sordid way."

"Bummer."

Then the voice of reason from behind.

"Let's check the crass at the door for once and try to enjoy ourselves."

They file past the Agent swiftly with Kimber lagging behind as usual. She stumbles in the heels, better here than the premiere, and almost takes a flopper dive. Nikoli reaches out to steady her, keeping both feet firmly on the ground. He then steps back and chuckles nervously. Kimber looks puzzled.

"What?"

"Nothing, it's just in that dress you look like a bit of frosted cupcake."

"They say I am as cute as one but that's just silly, right?"

"Not if it's true."

Blushing wildly, she glances down.

In the turbolift, Valerie narrows her eyes. Melanie sighs. Karen smiles smugly.

"Told you."

"Eat shit and die."

"This is going to be the longest night ever."

Outside, the ocean breeze brings a chill to the skin. Salty air seems to soothe the nerves. The polished black luxury transport idles on the executive platform which takes them to The Old Orsic Theater. Upon arrival, they step out gracefully into the spectacle and begin the long walk-pause-walk-pause routine they had been shown. The red carpet is a frightening place. Flashes exploding, people shouting out, everyone begging for attention. They manage to move quite steadily and without incident past Carli Cole, classmate and actress in the film, giving an interview. Reporters also want them to say something, to go on record as actually having a voice, but Venko and the well-dressed security team prevent this from happening. Tonight, it's strictly image. The shouts fade as they disappear into the darkness of the theater.

The movie, Magnificent Splendor, is about two emotionally complex teenagers who become romantically involved and decide to throw themselves off a skyscraper ("the tallest in all the galaxies," someone actually says) in the name of love and of course, to spite their devious parents who tried to keep them apart. It was artfully done if not moderately boring but everyone still stands as the credits roll to applaud the effort.

They linger as the isles empty and proceed only once the path is clear.

Agent Venko is waiting for them in the crowded lobby with the grand entrance to the after party in the Velvet Ballroom just beyond him. Karen turns to Kimber.

"Go ask Venko to get the transport and we'll meet you outside in ten."

"Why would I do that?"

Karen turns her head toward him.

The Agent smiles at something someone says, hands behind his back, soulful eyes scanning the room for danger.

"Why wouldn't you?"

Kimber hands in her mineral water and pushes through the crowd, "See you in ten."

Karen turns back to Valerie and Melanie.

"Oh no, what's going on?"

She points to the ballroom.

"Oh, yes I think so," Valerie says, grabbing their hands and leading the way.

Venko is properly distracted by Kimber and does not see them slip in. No one near the entrance does anything but look them over. Once inside, it's all smooth sailing or so they think until Maxi Marx can be seen laughing it up with the director and his entourage of celebrity hangers-on. Karen nudges Melanie who sighs and makes her way over. Maxi will be less wigged dealing with her  which allows just enough time for Valerie to snag a couple drinks and ditch Karen. It takes several minutes to realize this has happened and is almost furious until Carli Cole appears out of the crowd and whisks her away.

"We need to talk."

Carli secures two glasses of champagne and makes her way out onto one of the private balcony's of The Old Orsic Theater. Karen is surprised by how much quieter it is out here with a party so lively just inside.

"Loved the movie."

"Really?"

"Of course, darling. Your take on the lothario's tragically troubled sister was so intense. It moved me."

"Thank you. Love the dress."

"It is stunning, isn't it?"

Karen can easily recognize the casual conversation above the real issue and cuts right to the point.

"You mentioned something about talking?"

"That was quite a show on the carpet. The Raga'Ana campaign, that's big."

She also knows how to play this game.

"Not as big as Maranski."

Carli grins, "You flatter me, I like that but you can hold your own. All of you can. That can mean a lot of things in a place like North Coruscant."

"Since you are now an upper-classman at NCH I'll let you tell me what that means."

"Celebrity is something that goes a long way. It can be the best thing that ever happened to you or it can ruin your life. People who don't have it want it and will do shameless things to get it."

"Are you accusing me of something here?"

"No," Carli says softly, "I'm simply saying that we find ourselves in an interesting position. Our academy relies heavily on the salacious whispers about  fellow debutantes and our rising stars could be tempted to dampen the other."

To Karen, this statement implies she has already done something inappropriate. Not only does it give her adequate leverage to secure inter-clique allies but also brings the warmest smile to her face.

"You propose a political treaty?"

"A mutually beneficial arrangement."

"I'm listening. Terms?"

"Preemptive damage control. If one of us should hear something about the other we sit on it until we notify each other. Deal?"

Karen squares her shoulders and chooses her words carefully.

"I want shared social resources. Our extensive networks must be accessible should any alleged undesirable information turn up. My crew covers your ass, your crew does the same for mine. No one's reputation has to suffer and private lives can remain private."

Carli poses to consider. It's almost outrageous for a sophomore to make such demands but that Grand Moff was just a little too convincing.

"Deal."

They break stance to withdraw similar stylish com-units and alert the second in command. Karen wills Melanie to answer but she doesn't and it kicks to voicemail. So typ! She relays the terms of the deal anyway. Carli does the same to a friend not currently at the party. They click off at the same time and toss them into clutch purses.

Carli raises a glass, "To our success."

Karen toasts happily until something catches her eye beyond the wide circular patio. Squinting, it almost looks like a ripple that grows into a larger spiral. What the hell? It's like, a swirling tentacle in a perfectly beautiful summer sky.

Then, a glint of light off metal.

She gasps.

The large spike punches roughly through the center of Carli's chest right between the daring neckline of her sparkling dress. The glass slips from her hands, the shatter barely a whisper. Karen is doused with a hot spray of blood. The spike stops spinning and two sets of long sharp hooks spring out of either side upon which is marked with the Rebel Crescent symbol used by the Alliance. Karen's eyes meet Carli's. The actress is in a state of shock, arms outstretched, mouth open and filling with a deep crimson blood that clashes badly with her lipstick. Behind them, the swirling tentacle tightens, pulling both sets of hooks into Carli's flesh before dragging her over the edge smoothly and completely. She disappears so suddenly that Karen can do nothing but stand there - covered in blood - reaching out - blinking.

Then she screams.

-TBC
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 07:58:49 PM »
Coruscant

Surface: Old Orsic Theater

Sizzling summer night. Roar of the city. Party raging inside.

No one heard that scream.

Options scroll across her eyes like the grand marquis outside. She could rush inside, covered in blood, and cause the biggest scene this side of Coruscant but that would ruin the premiere, get her in serious trouble, and cast a murderous shadow across Raga'Ana's image.

Wait, wait wait, what the hell just happened?!

She tries to make sense of it as she fumbles with her purse. Carli Cole, classmate-slash-blossoming starlet, was brutally snatched from a balcony at the stroke of midnight by Rebels? Sure, whatever, but why would they do that? Then again, why does Alexia aspire to become a Sith? Why does anyone do anything? Karen finally locates the com and keys up her security channel with shaking hands.

"Venko?"

"It's Karen. Where are you?"

"That's a very good question, your Highness."

"Cut the formality, I need...help."

"Are you in any real danger?"

"Yes! I mean, I think so...."

"I think you need to be back in this lobby right away."

It becomes clear Agent Venko has been briefed on her antics. She was the girl who cried danger about things like broken nails and misplaced heels. She suddenly feels the need to be slightly more specific.

"Carli Cole has been murdered!" she shrieks then quickly lowers her voice to a whisper, "Do you like, copy?"

His voice changes drastically.

"Where are you?"

"East balcony. I can't go inside...there is blood all over me...and Carli, oh shit, Carli...."

"Stay there. I'm coming to you."

Karen clicks off and turns around, squinting out into the darkness. There is nothing aside from the glowing angular towers and distant lanes of traffic. She suddenly feel so exposed and backs away from the carved balcony railing.

Footsteps can be heard on the landing above.

Agent Venko and three other operatives in formal attire descend onto the balcony. Venko is by her side instantly, eyes taking in the scene. Karen's black dress, skin flecked with blood, shattered champagne glasses at her feet, no sign of the alleged victim. His first thought is that they had a petty fight and the princess actually pushed the actress over the balcony but that would not explain the blood. Possible brawl beforehand? Not likely given she looks untouched. He decides not to lecture her about sneaking into the after-party but needs to gather a sequence of events.

"What happened?"

Karen is shivering. He shrugs off his jacket and lowers it over her shoulders. It is so much wider than she that it covers most of her body and effectively conceals the gore.

"We were just talking and....and then there was this, like spike thing..."

"A spike thing?"

This was not going to be easy but he maintains composure. The report from Agent St. Claire stated that the easiest way to obtain information from the assets was to refrain from reacting and dig deep for patience. Everything would come to light with careful phrasing and a moderately soothing tone.

"Yeah, a spike thing. Don't look at me like that! One minute we're celebrating how fabulous our lives are going and the next, she's being dragged over the side by a Rebel hook!"

She motions frantically as if this will help clarify.

"Rebel? As in the Rebel Alliance?"

"There are others?!"

He almost chokes on a sigh, "What would lead you to believe this weapon was one of theirs?"

"I know what a Rebel symbol looks like, Venko! It was sticking out of her chest!"

"I see."

"What? You don't believe me?! You think I would ruin a five thousand credit gown for a prank?!"

"No, I don't but this is highly disturbing considering the Alliance has only struck at military targets."

The operatives return to them.

"Anything?"

They shake their heads.

"Get the others to the transport. I'll get her out through the emergency exit. We need not create a panic so this must be done discreetly. Understood?"

Now they nod - silent, obedient, Imperial -  before disappearing back into the party.

Venko focuses on Winton.

"We're going to leave but your father and the authorities must be notified. They will need a formal statement in order to begin their investigation. Cooperation is essential now that allegations against the Alliance have been made. Can you do that?"

She nods weakly, clinging tightly to the inside of the jacket.

True to his training, he absconds with the princess undetected as the party rages on.

In the back of the limo, Melanie, Kimber and Valerie huddle around Karen. They guard her closely like something is going to come crashing through the windows at any moment.

Venko taps up the partition and stares into the glittering lights of Galactic City. The whole thing doesn't make sense. A movie premiere is hardly an effective target for a Rebel attack not to mention they only made themselves known to one person. He grabs his com and puts the team at Bolerathon Tower on high alert. They are ordered to conduct a sweep and lockdown the penthouse level. Anything unusual is to be reported immediately. He then makes the call to Alexander Winton who seems annoyed until the situation is made clear. Alexander reacts the way Venko expects any father would and the concern practically leaks through the com-link. Once it is established that his daughter is indeed safe, the Bolerathon locked down, and the authorities discreetly en route, Alexander seems to calm down considerably. He orders Venko and his team not to let the girls out of their sight until he and Queen Greyson-Winton can return from Naboo.

No time frame is given.

The Bolerathon Tower Penthouse level is tense but secure. No security anomalies to report. All systems have been checked and rechecked. Once Venko exits the lifts, he gives the order to maintain lockdown until further notice. No one in or out without first contacting him.

A male Imperial Security Agent and a female Imperial Intelligence Agent are waiting outside the Winton suite. They make sure to ask if they are alright and if Karen would mind answering a few questions. Karen says she would feel more comfortable doing so with her friends present which causes the agents to exchanges glances before hesitantly allowing it. Minutes later, Venko is stationed behind the couch all four girls sit upon while the two agents take seats across from them. They ask for her statement. By now, she's had time to relax which makes recounting the events much more fluid this time around. They want to know if she is certain she saw the crescent symbol attached to the grappling hook used to drag the actress from the theater balcony.

"I'm positive."

The agents thank her for her compliance, apologize for the loss of her friend then sequester Venko and ask him to recount his version of what happened. He is as detailed and professional as possible and includes the fact that the girls were not supposed to at the party in the first place. The crowd had been massive and he did manage to find three of the four before he got the call. He purposefully omits that he finds himself wrongly but powerfully attracted to cupcake Kimber Patten.

They say they will be in touch.

Karen vanishes into the house no doubt to shower away the memory while Melanie takes to making some tea for everyone. Valerie mysteriously has a bottle in her hand no one saw her get and Kimber meets him in the foyer.

"Sorry we caused you any trouble. That really wasn't our intention."

"I know."

"No foolin?"

"What happened wasn't a result of anything any of you did. Take care of your friend. I'll make sure you stay safe."

Kimber smiles and returns to the living room.

Venko steps back out into the corridor, bringing his com up in front of him. He leaves a message with miss Cole's assistant to have her talent manager and press agent call him as soon as possible.

This could not explode across the Holo until they could verify the legitimacy of the attack. The media would take any inkling of Rebel activity and run with it despite the peculiar circumstance and lack of motive. The whole thing could be a publicity stunt at best and a carefully staged Imperial separatist ploy at worst. Still, a murdered actress hardly makes the kind of throwback political statement the Alliance is so fond of.

Unless Carli Cole wasn't the intended target.

-TBC
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 07:57:08 PM »
Coruscant

There is a limit to what Agent Nikoli Venko was told.

The girls are considered Imperial assets. They must be kept safe. Two are Force-sensitive. Their parents have a deep set of connections that should never be questioned.

There were many confidentiality agreements signed before he was given clearance.

Notes from the former head of security, Scott St. Claire, only outline how to effectively deal with the personality types. They make no reference as to how or why these girls are so desperately important to the Empire. A part of him doesn't want to ask but implications in recent events seem to imply the need. His requests for full file information are denied by the Director of Imperial Intelligence. Speaking his name would result in automatic termination. All reports should reflect the designation: The Director. He is told information regarding the assets is strictly need-to-know and does not currently conflict with his primary objective. Should that change, his security clearance would be raised. Properly reprimanded for questioning a superior officer, he is instructed to remain on course with the investigation at hand.

Alliance activity and interference must be resolved immediately.

On day two, Venko is back in contact with Cole's people. She has not been seen since the premiere and they are calling to report her missing. The entire guest list is called in for questioning and the concerned actors and directors guilds are more than happy to comply.

Thankfully no one can place who she was with last at the after-party. Everyone claims to have seen her multiple times throughout the evening. Some reports claim to have seen her even after the unreleased time of her disappearance.

An investigation is officially launched that afternoon.

On day four, Carli Cole's perfectly preserved body is found on the grand steps of the now-dissolved Senate building. Her skin is an icy blue and chest a massive puncture wound. The dress sparkles garishly in the sun. It is a symbol and sacrifice the Empire demands. The gods of decadence must be appeased and nothing will ever hold the public's attention better than the suffering of the young and the beautiful.

There are no traces of the Alliance on or around the body but the media still unleashes the spectacle without a political twist. The city-planet mourns the fallen starlet and the promising career cut tragically short by violence. No suspects have yet been named but the authorities continue their search for Carli's killer.

This is day seven of lockdown and most certainly not the way Karen thought she'd be spending the final week of her summer vacation. Apparently this is a result of their overprotective parents who all once again decided this would "be best" after "such an ordeal." They all hang out now or something. The idea terrifies Karen and she imagines them sitting around sipping cocktails discussing their children. Free-flowing, unobstructed conversation about real issues. She shutters, fighting back a wave of nausea.

After everyone gets on each other's nerves, they retire to gab it up with the outside world.

Karen gushes to Skyler who grows ever-sweeter in her eyes. He is the sympathetic gentleman most girls would overlook. She sees him for the surprisingly rational and understanding guy he really is. This is a rare find in the Imperial world of casual cruelty. Skyler listens as she explains the impact of Carli's demise on the social scene and how she was scolded by Maxi Marx for ruining the gown by not sidestepping the backsplash. Models have to be light on their feet. The outfit comes first. Karen is having moderate trouble wrapping her mind around that but Skyler puts it all into perspective. No one could have known that would happen and it's best to remember Carli fondly by her artistic contribution.

Later, she goes for a swim alone to ponder why everything suddenly seems so somber only to realize she cannot get Alexia's words out of her head. There are those who would do anything to stick it to the Empire. Would someone stoop low enough to make an actress an example? She wonders if Alexia was right. Maybe they were in more danger than they realized and keeping the secret is keeping them all alive. That is completely ridiculous. Then something else strikes her. What if somebody knows? Someone outside their group? Her proximity could have inadvertently made Carli a target. Alexia is off training with some mysterious stranger, parents away on another endless vacation which leaves Venko and his team as their only line of defense. Her mind is spinning, wondering just how much damage her connection to the Force could cause.

Karen breaks the surface of the water and inhales deeply. She can't withhold this speculation any longer. She would have to tell the others about the visit from her sister.

-TBC
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 07:18:32 PM »
Coruscant

Surface: North Coruscant High

The one called Dementat watches from the sidelines, presence shielded by sheer will, as she rushes into the arms of another. The tall boy embraces her warmly, half his face concealed by her crimson hair. Even from this distance he can sense that the boy's love is true. It permeates his being and is, at the moment, reflected in her. That is why he does not reveal himself. Not now. Not yet. It is much too soon. There is another task that needs his more immediate attention yet he remains drawn to her - the girl - and even though they are destined for one another he knows with certainty and sadness that she must first learn how to lose.

-TBC
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:20:12 PM by Syrenscream »
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2010, 01:30:03 PM »
Coruscant

Surface: North Coruscant High

The first few days of any school year are always the most crucial. One misstep could set the stage for disaster. Lucky for them, they are fresh off the tragedy trail. Although forbidden from divulging details about what actually happened to Carli due to the ongoing investigation, they are allowed certain bragging rights for being in proximity. The whole premiere situation garners and commands an attention they find startling but not entirely unpleasant. The fact that their faces are plastered across the city-planet certainly doesn't hurt their upward momentum either and sure enough, Tenley Price approaches Karen. She was Carli Cole's best friend and has a brother, Landon, who graduated two years before to become some hot shot in the Imperial Navy. Tenley takes Karen aside to discuss the social arrangement made between Carli's group and Karen's group. Carli's death does not void the agreement and Tenley wants Karen to know that. Karen is sympathetic, knowing that she just lost a best friend and is honoring her memory by fulfilling her last social will and testament.

OMG, FF FTW!

Venko and his team watch over them closely and without incident. A "suspect" is caught in "connection" with the Carli Cole murder. There is a distinct "crazed stalker" spin on the press release. The public praises the Imperial authorities for ensuring no one takes away their mother fucking entertainment.

Weeks roll on, deepening from summer to fall and Karen finally decides to claim Skyler as her one and only. She does so by walking out onstage while he is campaigning for a spot on student council to kiss him passionately in front of the entire school. Melanie plays it safe with Lucas and keeps him in a holding pattern that borders on an almost-couple. She throws herself into classes with hopes to maintain the perfect balance of academics and extracurriculars to score herself a spot at the university of her choice. Kimber recovers from Billy choosing to pursue and land D'Arcy by scandalously but subtly flirting with Agent Venko. Something about his position as head of security screams sexy. Valerie becomes increasingly vicious toward those outside the group and enters into a bizarre and highly sexual relationship with Reef. It takes five minutes for her to make him forgive her for the summer silent treatment. From there is gets kinky and weird.

Distracted by the whirlwind of being a teenager, Karen spaces on the Alexia information. Nothing else has happened so all is well. On the surface. She is currently more concerned with the fact that her parents have stopped returning her com-calls and have yet to return to the capital. Neither have the Masterton's for that matter. There are "business matters" to attend to on Bakura and Naboo. That's the vague reason they cough up to justify their negligence. Karen is disgusted by hardly surprised. They want Karen and Melanie to come visit in the meantime but school and their own business responsibilities make this impossible. Their parents know that. Stranger still is the fact that Major Patten has also been unreachable due to a confidential CorSec assignment.

It feels like they are suddenly on their own.

There are certainly enough things to occupy attention which slightly smoothes over the sting of parental absence. Slightly, then moderately. Soon enough these responsibilities and relationships overwhelm the wondering and drown the anger in sweet selfish satisfaction. These lives could not be more perfect, more sculpted for jealousy, and because of it they have grown lazy and entitled. They have no idea Carli Cole was just a taste of what has been foreseen from a prophecy branded into their shared destinies...

..and from afar, Alexander Winton keeps track of the countdown.

-TBC
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 08:25:40 PM »
The agony of letting go of your own children is a pain beyond all words but when the lives of so many others hang in the balance it becomes a necessary cross to bear.

~ M

Naboo

Surface: Lake Country: Greyson Villa

Queen Monica Greyson-Winton nods to Doctor Celeste Masterton before boarding the brand new J-type silver and pink royal cruiser. A minimal staff has been requested due to that fact that they would not be returning on the same vessel. Packed carefully in one of her trunks is the item Celeste brought back.

Needless to say things had unraveled over the course of the summer.

The vacation had been progressing marvelously and for a brief moment reminded her of the glorious summers of the past. It was wild and romantic. The way it used to be. The doubt and resentment that had been steadily growing began to fade. This all changed suddenly one particularly sweltering afternoon. Alexander became increasingly agitated and confrontational. Henrick spent most of his time in a Bakuran lab consumed with a cure for a disease that was never mentioned. Baffled, Monica and Celeste wanted explanations but all inquiries were treated as inconveniences and requests to leave were denied. Their husbands swore up and down they needed them nearby, that all would be better soon. Things were crazy with lives and millions of credits at stake. Monica and Celeste could not understand their desperation and fell into a state of confusion. Pills were taken, drink were consumed. Everything was rendered meaningless until they found the file.

In a spiteful drunken fit, Monica stole and downloaded the contents of Alexander's datapad into her own device and returned it undetected before his next trip to the corporate office. His behavior renewed her suspicion of his sinister motives and she had to know what was so damn important. She and Celeste spent tedious hours going through contracts and correspondence before finding a document with a title they both recognized.

Persephonea

It details a madness reserved only for the nightmares Monica has been plagued with for years. It is the prophecy her dear husband has withheld from all of them under the claim it had not been translated. The Master, the Beast, daughters of darkness and light and the hoards sacrificed without ever even knowing why. It's all there. Things she knew but could never remember. Alexander's plan was not and had never been about protecting anyone.

It was about the price of power and a weapon that could destroy them all.

Days pass before either woman can come to terms with the implications. There was already suspicion in Alexander but the script also casts serious doubt across Henrick. How much does the good doctor know? Had he also been lying to his wife about what their children are really meant to do? Celeste is devastated while Monica finds the validation she was looking for. They console each other into sobriety and from there clarity takes on a more recognizable shape. They now realize why their husbands want to keep them away from the Core.

The time has come to seek out alternative options.

There are so few Jedi scattered throughout the galaxy but one seems to find them as if he was waiting in the wings. They wisely communicate only through brief but intense dreams and soon agree to meet on Naboo. Most of Alexander's security departs with him and Henrick so all the women have to do is wait. There is always a reason to leave and always an excuse as to why they must stay.

Monica demands the remaining security detail  accompany her on a pointless shopping trip into Theed which allows Celeste to escape from Varykino Island with the prophecy. She meets with a Master Corrin in the foothills of the Gallo Moutains. There he reads the words of the ancient Sith Order and listens to how one man has conspired to ensure these events come to pass. Master Corrin confirms the passage highlights a threat that lies just beyond Palpatine's rapidly dwindling reign and affirms the Alliance against the Empire will both succeed and fail. An Alliance victory will dethrone Palpatine but open a window for the Master spoken of in the prophecy to ascend to power with the daughter of darkness and replace a dark Empire with something much more sinister. Celeste calmly brings his attention to one glaring detail.

"There is hope."

Master Corrin agrees to help them and places the prophecy within a Holocron that he gives Celeste to take back to the Queen. She is waiting at the Greyson Villa when Monica returns. When they retire for the evening, she reveals the outcome of the meeting. There are a very specific set of instructions included with the offer of assistance.

The Queen must abscond with the Holocron into the Imperial capital. It must be carefully orchestrated as the Sith must not feel any disturbance. This will be made easier with the Emperor and Vader sidelined by the Skywalker short-sightedness so Monica stashes the Holocron and sets to carry out the Jedi's wishes under the guise of Karen and Melanie's sixteenth birthday party. This is the only way she is allowed to leave Naboo: blatant treason and bad parenting. Class all the way. She would be the bearer of gifts and a great deal of responsibility.

Bakura

Surface: Salis D'aar: RepulsorCorp Corporate Headquarters

Silence. Drink in a highball glass. No ice. Straight up.

That's the way Alexander Winton likes it.

The day thus far:

Message from the boy-spy. The capitals kids are slacking. Interest has waned.

Alexia is set to embark on her first Outer Rim exploration as an Imperial Agent.

St. Claire has successfully infiltrated an ethically questionable Corellian-Federation-MagnaCorp operation.

The young Dementat is tempted.

His wife took the bait.

Things, as they say, are looking up.

The sun is high enough to dull the glare of the surrounding towers and the congested traffic lanes running through corporate centre is like an increasingly amusing performance art piece. Skiffs and transports compete for position, everyone racing toward their destinations as if their lives depended on it. The wide transparasteel windows frame the scene and prove a much needed distraction from the tediousness of his persona. Mid-level executives complete his tasks as he pushes Henrick toward finding means of control while fending off the seemingly endless Imperial progress reports. So many things could go wrong but it is well worth the risk to discover where everyone's loyalty lies. And it does lie. As does Alexander. He remains justified while allowing himself the liberty of conducting social experiments on those he cares about most. He would do anything so that his offspring will rule.

- TBC
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2010, 02:41:05 PM »
Coruscant

Surface: Galactic City

Fall is dragged into winter kicking and screaming.

There have been six mini-shoots so far for designs Raga'Ana will release throughout the rest of the year. These images replace the others around the city, a continuous evolution into style excess that the public eagerly laps up. In a month they will have to return to Hesperidium and shoot summer lines along a frigid beach pretending to be basking in all the warmth. Until then they are relatively free to do as they please but everything else is pushed aside for a single all-important event.

Sweet Sixteen.

After an arduous deliberation they decide to have a combined birthday party. Valerie is slightly older but only by a few weeks, followed by Karen and Melanie on the same day, and lastly, Kimber a week or so later. It just makes sense. This information is released to specific people at North Coruscant and in a few days they have generated all the publicity they need. Everyone wants to come but Karen makes a case about taking a solid cross-section of the student body. Only the coolest of each clique, so to speak, hand-chosen and cleared by security to be seen and heard with brand names.

"There always needs to be a strong supporting cast floating around the central characters."

The compiled list is given to Agent Venko and verified by his team. Invitations go out the following day. There are grumblings in the aftermath of those not in good graces but that's how these things go.

Karen has resigned herself to parental oversight with the knowledge they have the capital to do anything they so desire. With enough credits, who needs parents? Valerie agrees a little too quickly. Melanie, however, is wounded by this truth. Although the Masterton's are in regular contact with her via long-range com, it does not replace their presence in her eyes. She is used to confiding in them and their support and understanding have always been a source of great strength. She is having trouble comprehending how business can suddenly trump family when it has never been that way before. Kimber sympathizes with the situation, sorely missing her father still away on CorSec assignment, and does her best to be there. The bond between The Four solidifies in the reliance on each other.

It's them against the worlds but there is always another distraction.

-cut back to party central.

All one hundred invitations are confirmed.

Alaiia Lounge @ Five Hundred Republica had been reserved two months ago.

A starched white canvas tent is erected inside with soft white lights strung up everywhere. One side of the tent is removed to reveal a spectacular view as the perfect backdrop. A giant mirror ball hangs from the center of the room above the dance floor. Several circular tables surround it with a head table at which the birthday girls will sit. The tables are adorned with thick white table clothes, ornate floral centerpieces and generous gender-unique gift bags.

Music by MC Marvell - Upbeat urban electronic merging into the latest club hits as the night progresses.

Catering by Lagos - Five star all the way.

Dinner at seven.

Cake at nine.

Drinks throughout.

Dancing until midnight.

Transport for the intoxicated.

All angles covered.

Maxi Marx smugly alerts all the right people, still semi-pissed about the previously ruined gown. They will be in Raga'Ana couture tonight which will now be photaged to death upon their arrival. That, too, will be staged for maximum exposure.

"In the end," Maxi sighs tiredly, "We're all advertising ourselves."

The stage is set.

On the evening of the party, Karen fastens bejeweled chandelier earrings and stares at her heavily dolled-up face. The layers of shadowed eyes, light blush, glossy pink lips. She is dreaming ahead to the rave reviews and sour feelings that will further establish them as a North Coruscant staple and legacy. She wants to look back fondly on these days and smile.

Melanie is having a mild anxiety attack.

Kimber asks Venko to zip up her dress.

Valerie might as well go topless with that much spillage happening.

Too late, it's show time.

The Four saunter by fashionably and purposefully late. Paparazzi clamor for shots but are barred from actually entering the party.

Inside the Alaiia, people are taking their places. Skyler, Reef, Lucas, Billy and D'Arcy sit on one side of the head table. Tenley Price and company sit on the other. From there it fans out by clique ranking but it all merges on the dance floor which is where everyone ends up after a light but exquisite meal. Champagne is opened and poured for those who want it. Credits have been thrown around to ensure the bending of certain laws would not be a problem. Soon it's much more lively, the lounge virtually transforming into a club. Everyone on set is relaxed. Lights are dimmed but the mirror ball reflects just enough to make it seem magical.

Agent Venko and his well-dressed team watch silently and keep the peace. Kimber stays close to a vulnerable Melanie. Billy and D'Arcy pretend to be entertained by Tenley Price and her boyfriend, senior Varsity Chin-Bret running back Vex Sienna. Valerie gets hammered and fights with Reef then a bunch of people she doesn't know then Lucas, Melanie and Kimber then Reef again before finally storming off. Ignoring that tragic scene, Karen mingles freely but always returns to Skyler for a kiss and a slow dance. His hand on the small of her back keeps everything steady. They are about to cut the cake when a spotlight illuminates the lounge entrance, halting all movement and drawing attention away.

Queen Greyson-Winton makes her grand appearance. She is in full Naboo royal court gear and makeup, completely destroying the simple elegance of the party. She allows her eyes to linger only briefly on the crowd before spotting her daughter standing frozen in a dress that borders on beautiful indecency. No doubt this may be construed as embarrassing but suddenly remembers the larger picture and ignores the vague feeling of intrusion.

Karen is startled, relieved and mortified.

In that order.

The Queen says nothing about the underage drinking or how fantastic the setup actually is as she breezes effortlessly past the dazed guests and greets her daughter warmly, apologizing for the extended absence, and presents Karen with a gift. She motions to the windows.

Every set of eyes follow.

A J-type Naboo Royal Cruiser with a highly polished silver and pink exterior and a Marc Overus-designed interior sits perfectly lit on a landing pad outside.

Flashes ignite as if on cue.

The crowd is pleased by the spectacle.

They applaud without knowing why.

Shock quickly becomes jealousy.

Karen is too dazzled by the gift to be suspicious of its motive.

Melanie has a headache the size of a small forest moon.

Valerie, who has reemerged, is thinking, hyperspace trip?

Kimber giggles gaily, head filled with red hearts and pink bubbles.   

Queen Greyson-Winton kisses her daughter, wishes them all a happy birthday and abruptly vanishes.

The party resumes with renewed vigor almost as if it never even happened...

Abstract blurs of color, reflected off holocams, becomes a sickening reality.

Melanie finally excuses herself. Kimber accompanies her up to the Masterton residence, temporarily blinded by the paparazzi still lurking outside the lounge, where they search for painkillers. Melanie's headache has become skull-splitting and the herbal remedies they find are not going to cut it.

"Wait here," Kimber says, traipsing off through the cavernous residence to check the other bathrooms. The echo of her heels fade. Melanie hugs herself tightly and sighs. There is movement beyond the master bath doorway, a shadow splashed across the wall.

Queen Greyson-Winton sweeps into the master bathroom.

Reflexively, Melanie bows.

"Your Highness."

"There is no time so you must listen to me carefully."

She lifts her head, staring directly into the Queen's deathly serious face.

"The life we live is just a series of lies told across more people than I care to count. Somewhere, deep down, you know this too. The things you see in your mind I have also seen. I have felt that fear but you cannot let it control you the way it controls us. You will be the one they turn to in the darkest of hours. You alone can save them. But you must first let them go."

Melanie's head is suddenly clear. The worlds have stopped spinning as a connection between them is made. The Queen reveals a bag from which she pulls a small, glowing cube. She stares at it as if debating something before hesitantly offering it to Melanie.

"This Holocron contains information pertinent to your survival. You must take it to the Jedi and follow their instruction. The others must never know or you risk everyone. Heed the prophecy and stay alive."

"Prophecy?"

"Search your feelings, Melanie. You feel there is more beyond this facade but you cannot see it. Not yet. The prophecy will show you the way."

The Queen disappears through the doorway, past Kimber pressed against the wall, clutching a bottle of pills. She rushes into the master bath to find Melanie holding what looks like a party favor. It glows in the palm of her hand.

"What...is that? Some kind of cube?"

Melanie finally glances up, eyes wide but strangely hollow.

"Not a cube, a Holocron but you will never repeat that."

Kimber shutters.

"I forget already."

Melanie drops the Holocron into her purse and moves toward the door. Kimber follows somewhat reluctantly.

Downstairs, at the party, Valerie is back at it and, double-fisting champagne bottles, manages an impressive table dance. Boys go wild. Reef is furious. Lucas is searching the party for Melanie but becomes waylaid by smashed teammates excited about the season. Billy and D'Arcy dance the night away.

Breaking from a kiss, leaning into him, Karen ponders going all the way with Skyler.

Tenley Price does not return home from the party. The following morning, her parents worriedly call her com-link to find that the channel has been disconnected. Imperial authorities are immediately contacted. They are told to calm down. The are told to wait.

A day and a half later, Tenley is officially declared a missing person.

-TBC
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2010, 08:51:46 PM »
"...the tears I've cried - they won't subside - unless the music starts to play. Heartbreak make a dancer, dancer! DJ give me the answer, answer! Love stops getting me down, down, down (Do it alone, I couldn't do it alone). Heartbreak make me a dancer, dancer! Keep my heart beating faster, faster! Love stops bringing me down, down, down (Do it alone, I couldn't do it alone)..."

~ Sophie Ellis-Bextor

Coruscant

Surface: Five Hundred Republica: Winton Residence

The days leading up to winter break are filled with disillusionment.

Karen is jarred by her mother's unexpected arrival and departure. It seems her family has a fondness for the random and unexplained. Then she realizes she has spent a total of two minutes with a parent in the last six months so a purchase must be made to ease the underlying rage and resentment.

Cash-convinced.

She would shrug it all off completely but Tenley Price has yet to be found and an abstract fear materializes on the periphery. No one knows what happened and a part of Karen is dreading she'll show up just like Carli. The entire guest list is interrogated and makes the party that much cooler in the eyes of the jaded Imperial youth. They wear their badges of potential villainy with pride. Tenley's boyfriend, Vex Sienna, has been downgraded from prime suspect to person of interest after his story, told repeatedly to various officials, never changes. He was an invited guest accompanying his girlfriend to a birthday party. They talked, laughed, ate and drank like everyone else. Many other guests confirm whereabouts and timeframe. The last time he saw her was at their table discussing an alarming outbreak of vast apathy among the upperclassmen with Billy St. James and D'Arcy Saunders when Tenley excused herself to use the restroom and never returned. Billy and D'Arcy confirm that this happened and how concerned Vex became after minutes became hours became a drunken search party.

Tenley's friends concluded she went home with friends and left the party...

and the pace inevitably quickens

...from there her parents report her missing and an investigation is launched and Agent Venko is starting to see a disturbing pattern and the Queen races back to Naboo a traitor to the Galactic Empire and somewhere lines have been crossed and suspicion goes both ways and finals at North Coruscant are imminent and the images of The Four leer suggestively down into the city, threatening something unspoken...

Surface: Hyperion Building: Galatea Suite

Kimber picks at the petals of a flower, heart skipping beats, blissfully encased in a world entirely her own. There is no madness. No melancholy. There is only the best intentions, romantic gestures, and wonderfully surprising outcomes. In her mind, it all works out.

Valerie gazes upon her fondly, only moderately envious, but cannot relate to this delusion. She knows better than that. The galaxy is dark and wide and filled with so many secrets. She does not fail to see a connection between the abilities of their closest friends and the disturbing proximity to seemingly senseless tragedy. Karen and Melanie would be both valuable and dangerous is they fell into the wrong hands. Or wrong school of thinking. That Force shit can go either way. It's not such a fine line sometimes. Even she knows that. In a moment of desperation people will do anything. To get what they want. To save themselves and those they care about most. A sacrifice must be taken. There is always a price. How much trust is too much? Blame must be assigned somewhere so whatever the problem really is, Valerie is sure it's mostly Karen's fault.

Kimber pulls the last petal from the flower, closes her eyes and giggles softly.

Valerie finally turns away and glances over the silent durasteel towers beyond the windows, at a place brimming with shadows and suspicion. One girl is dead, another is missing. There is a Winton sister lurking out there somewhere and parents who apparently now prefer a hands-off approach. There is too much to do. So many things to occupy the mind and daze the senses and she wonders, dimly, from what?

Surface: Five Hundred Republica: Masterton Residence

It rises out of the sea and on the shore, between the thick cloak of fog, is the outline of the Bolerathon Tower.

Imagine a girl sitting at an antique desk in a white room.

Melanie's eyes lose focus on words so heavy they weaken the soul. This is not just a cautionary tale from the past but a prophecy in which they are named. There is only one piece of scripture that glares up at her with true malice.

The Beast.

Pieces of the vision return.

The inhuman shrieks with a human face.

"Somewhere, deep down, you know this too."

The Queen had issued a warning. She spoke of many lies but Melanie does not know who told them or why. She is working without an explanation. But everything she has been feeling is validated by the Queen's admission. They have seen the same things. They have felt the same fear. Something, someone is coming and Melanie has always known it. The backwards knowing glances, the low-level anxiety that lies in wait, threatening to consume, the whole story unedited in one sitting-

Melanie is floored by the implications shrouding every syllable and alternates between weeping and gnawing on a fist. There is no more facade. There is nothing but answers phrased as different questions. Then there is the issue of the Jedi. How would she find them if she has been told they were wiped out? Could they really protect her if the Empire found out what she now knows? And what about the others, those caught in the crossfire? What? No, what?

Daughter of darkness, daughter of light.

She convulses, gripping the desk for support.

Friend becomes enemy becomes another abomination.

It's all too much and she throws herself toward the door, staggering down the hall in search of something, anything to dull the now-deafening roar. She finds herself in the master bath staring at the bottle of powerful anti-anxiety painkillers Kimber found elsewhere in the house. Melanie snaps the bottle from the counter and roughly twists off the cap, swallowing two, washing it down from the sink, breathing heavily, staring at her reflection from a much different angle.

"The others must never know..."

And they won't because this isn't a story with a happy ending.

-TBC
Syren