Author Topic: OOC Chat  (Read 794789 times)

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
Re: GCW: OOC
« Reply #585 on: June 29, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »
Yes, the ISD is "slow", but only in terms of acceleration. Once it picks up speed, there's no running from it. This explains why the Devastator was able to run down the Tantive IV in ANH. The realm of existence is the films.
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #586 on: June 29, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »
I was just going to add that bit about running down the blockade runner. The millenium falcon has trouble getting away from a pair of ISDs as well, doesn't it? Anyway it makes the ISD more fun and deadly. If it was speed 1, no one would use it because it would just be avoided easily.

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #587 on: June 29, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
And the fact it carries 6 squads of fighters, 48 aux craft means absolutely nothing, not to mention... how do you kill it? Even at 1 speed, you cant get near it without losing a ship, and thats not deadly enough? At this point everything in the game has a 2 movement, why even have movement ratings then, just say everything can move 1 grid and call it good if we are gunna go that route, makes it way easier. (just in case, that was sarcasm)

I just dont see why the games most powerful battle platform needs to have 2 movement to boot, seems rediculously out-balanced. Remember, the rebel cruisers are SUPPOSED to be able to out run an ISD. Also keep in mind the reference you are using for you example also calls a par-sec a unit of time, so I have to question its credibility.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #588 on: June 29, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »
ISDs are supposed to be the biggest bad asses on the block.  Mon cal cruiser specs here are inflated as it is against any canon spec source, just to allow them to more closely compete against an ISD.  If you're seeking to further nerf the ISD, then Mon Cal cruisers should also be more officially represented as well.  Citing games against book or against movies or whatever way you want to go is redundant because the entire body of SW material from all the Lucasart/film camps has terrible cohesion as far as consistency and clarity.

Remember mon cal cruisers are retrofitted civilian starships.  The MC90 was the first Mon Cal Cruiser designed as a warship and it never appeared until a few years after we're occupying in the timeline anyways.  There are infinite angles you can take.  I'd just as soon leave it all as is for now.  If in practice things turn out incredibly lopsided, visit a spec change then?

*shrug*
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #589 on: June 29, 2012, 12:18:17 PM »
^^ agreed

also would people find a calculator or a table more useful?

http://swsf.gnfisher.com/dashboard.php <-- calculator type (still a work in progress)

http://swsf.gnfisher.com/test.php <--- a table of rows like this side by side that shows ship name and UCR (imagine a row of rebel ships, then independent, etc alongside this row). Click on ship name to see specs like guns etc). There would be a toggle at the top of this page for space, atmopshere, ground, which adjusts all the UCRs accordingly.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #590 on: June 29, 2012, 01:31:23 PM »
What's the plan for "System" Thread postings?  New Ones for the Ep II?  Hopefully one single folder for all System Threads?  A sep folder for Faction Transaction Threads?

Sorry, getting antsy! ;p
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #591 on: June 29, 2012, 02:00:59 PM »
If in practice things turn out incredibly lopsided, visit a spec change then?

*shrug*

The problem with that is at that point the damage is already done. If the ISD with 2 move is incredibly lopsided, me and hop are nerf'd before the game even gets going. Say we leave it alone, then later on we decide yes its just too powerful... how many people lost how many ships to get to that point? God forbid its off the chart, dem figures it out and someone looses a stronghold. In such an event, how do you reimburse the other player without alienating him by making him start completely over? Now on a planet that doesnt come with stock PDF stations. In my opinion this is just one that we cant afford to hump the bunk on. Maybe we should test this out a little before just co-signing it?

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #592 on: June 29, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
You speak as though there is some set of physics to which we are bound when in reality tangibility is a typed word away ;p

I don't anticipate the drastic unbalance you speak of, but in that event, GM gifting to right the wrong is not a taboo.

When has any sim uni not been a constant work in progress?  We can nit pick hundreds of facets for ever.  This has been proven time and again.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:24:08 PM by Sloth »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #593 on: June 29, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »
The Specs and Rules are done. The Game is ready to be Played. When my ISD-II gets blown up, which I'm sure it will at some point, I won't be crying "balance!"
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #594 on: June 29, 2012, 04:07:47 PM »
I can see some of Ramano's point. An ISD-II fleet would be untouchable, unless planned for carefully. You can drive it off, but it will cost you everything to get there, because it can run down any unit in the game (mostly). I can see this not being so fun - IE everytime the ISD-II shows up you have to run, rather than having af un battle with a mix of craft.

That being said, the player with an ISD-II isnt impossible to defeat, its just an all or nothing battle, or someone turns tail before it gets to that.

The question at the end is this I guess: will an ISD with 1 speed be that much different than one with speed of 2? How much different?

I was sloppy in the mock and didn't realize Hale was just below me in A1 or wherever he was at. The correct thing to do there is to avoid him and use my SF and pickets to chew through his screen - you saw how fast the swarm and CSP was engaged and destroyed. If I had just kept my MC80 out of range for the first salvo until after some of his AUX were neutralized it would have been a differnet scenario.

Besides there's this: any ISD in the game will be hard to replace, once you blow up the first one. Hell thats a fun objective: catch the ISD and kill it, while everyone is expanding :P

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #595 on: June 29, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »
On another note the MC90 is piss for 23 CP :P

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #596 on: June 29, 2012, 05:16:40 PM »

It had to travel back in time five years to get here man.  Time Space Continuum Tax is a mother fucker.
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #597 on: June 29, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »
Lmao, I made this argument twice already and got shot down both times, but you guys are free to give it a go on the CP cost of the MC-90

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #598 on: June 29, 2012, 05:20:58 PM »

It had to travel back in time five years to get here man.  Time Space Continuum Tax is a mother fucker.

hahaha..

I'll just grab my MC80 its better anyway :D

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #599 on: June 29, 2012, 08:36:03 PM »
Hale, seriously man you gotta beef up MC90 shields and armor at least or something, how is their shielding lower than an MC80 but they cost nearly double the CP?  

Pretty please.   :)

I really wanna keep track of only one ship  :P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:39:21 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death