Author Topic: OOC Chat  (Read 794639 times)

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
Re: GCW: OOC
« Reply #405 on: June 20, 2012, 02:18:16 PM »
Thank you. Personally ive never been one for the one size fits all PDF system a lot of sims have had. Planets are like people, each one is different, has its own character and personality. I think this accurately represents that while maintaining the simplicity of the game itself. And im very glad you like it. =)

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
« Reply #406 on: June 21, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »
So, is there some sort of organization to all of this hullabaloo? Even if I were entertaining the beginning of a fragment of a thought of playing -- and that's a big 'if', believe you me -- I have no idea where to begin.

But it does look a bit interesting... And I do love reading into a good set of sim rules and stats regardless.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #407 on: June 21, 2012, 07:47:13 PM »
Well, you start by picking what faction you wanna play. ;) That is "if" you wanna play hehe. Currently we have Hale with the New Republic, Me with the Rebel Alliance, Dem (who by far has been kicking everyones ass) who is playing Galactic Empire, I believe Gall is going to be playing Imperial Remnant, and open are still, and hale correct me if im wrong, Trade Federation/Hapans/Independent.

After that, go through the stats and you design yourself a 23 command point fleet (CPs are price /100, so if its 2300KC, its 23CP to use) then find the corrisponding planet for your faction, and design 2000KC worth of buildings. After that, it plays basically like any other sim thats ever been. Every once and a while Hale will throw a little "thing" for us all to go participate in to get some rewards. But yeah, its simming the same as it has ever been.

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #408 on: June 21, 2012, 07:51:56 PM »
And technically we arnt set to start till July 1st. But everything is in the GCW section of the boards. Right now we are just SLing our entry stories and mocking the rules out to make sure they work the way we want.

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
« Reply #409 on: June 21, 2012, 08:02:45 PM »
Nice. It's just a little confusing as I've been stalking the boards this week seeing various rules and such posted in this thread and elsewhere. The Hapans seem to be calling my name.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #410 on: June 21, 2012, 09:12:51 PM »
Well by all means, feel free to throw together a fleet and jump in the mock we got going. Get you a good feel for how combat works. Basically this game is a star wars modified version of AD&D Birthright, just no dice. You manage your faction, and when you get bored you go attack someone if we havnt gotten to the next flashpoint scenario yet. However I seem to be the only person that has this problem lmao!

And let me say, the hapans are a nice choice. The fighters leave a little to be desired but the ships have both good firepower and good amounts of fighters. Next best thing to imperial ships.

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #411 on: June 21, 2012, 09:29:41 PM »
Speaking of, Hale, I got a question about atmosphere transition. Now how does engagment work for atmosphere stuff? I read the rules, but im left a bit curious to a few things.
Can units in the "atmosphere transition zone" attack units on the ground?
Can capital ships be hit in an orbital bombardment?
Can the A-Ring attack the atmosphere transition zone?
For moving from ground to A-ring, it would go post 1) enter atmosphere, post 2) enter A-Ring?
And I believe I read this but want to confirm, unless a ship states it in its notes, it can not enter the atmosphere transition zone or land on the ground?

And in case this is not defined anywhere and is up for debate, for the first one, so long as its a capital ship I dont see why not, they get 1 grid space range. No for fighters/aux. For #2, this seems improbable as first off, ships can move, fairly quickly. I dont see why the ship wouldnt just move out of the way. From what I know of SW targeting systems, they couldnt lock on a ship in the atmosphere from orbit so... For the 3rd one, I refer to physics on this one. SW weaponry is laser weaponry. A laser beam, regardless of its power, is a beam of light. Light is refracted when passed through water. Atmospheres, on livable worlds anyway, contain a lot of water. Therefore I would summerize that SW weaponry could not accurately hit a target in the atmosphere from space, thus this should be a no by my logic.

And as far as how would orbital bombardment work with this logic, do remember, your not actually aiming in an orbital bombardment, your just destroying the entire general area.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:33:31 PM by Ramano »

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #412 on: June 21, 2012, 10:19:13 PM »
...Currently we have Hale with the New Republic, ... and hale correct me if im wrong, Trade Federation/Hapans/Independent...

Yes this is correct. =) Currently my character is an Imperial (my base was on Chandrila in Episode 1), and right now I have a juicy Battle of Endor SL going with him commanding the canon ISD-II Avenger. It's entirely possible I may stick with the Imperial Remnant or jump ship to the Trade Federation for uni-balancing purposes. The way I'd like to see it is everybody for themselves. In terms of timeline, it's immediately post-Endor so the galaxy is literally in shards.

1. Units in the atmosphere can only attack other units in the atmosphere. The exception to this are starfighters while doing a Bombing Run: they can attack any ground unit (at x10 damage).
2. I'll add some stuff to the rules to say A-Ring cannot fire at Atmosphere targets.
3. It takes all movement points to enter or exit the atmosphere.
4. Only ships that specifically state "Can enter atmosphere and make planetary landings" can do so. Aux and starfighters can move around at-will so I didn't list that as a specific capability.
5. I know how Orbital Bombardment works, but for the purposes of this game specific targeting is needed to make the numbers work. In terms of cannon, theoretically we could muster a few ISDs at a planet and perform a Base Delta Zero... but that would make things crazy.
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #413 on: June 21, 2012, 10:30:09 PM »
Uhh... if I do recall a BDZ tactic requires at LEAST 6 ISDs... we dont even have enough players to field that many hahaha!

And to my explaining on bombardment, it was just to show how you could preform a bombardment and obliterate a city, but not be able to target a ship in the atmosphere from orbit. No offense or challenge at your intelligence was intended. Im sure you know what a bombardment is.

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #414 on: June 21, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Base Delta Zero: The Imperial Way of saying "Fuck You"

LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #415 on: June 22, 2012, 07:53:07 AM »
I thought a Base Delta Zero was were the imps line up ISDs on the planet then use an orbital bombardment to rip the crust off of it. As I do recall that takes a minimum of 6 ISDs in a 6 point hexigonal zenith.

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #416 on: June 22, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »
Oh yes Med, I see you lurking down there. We got a Trade Fed spot with your name on it. And yes, we had some nonsense between us, but your not the GM here, and I would excitedly welcome the SL ability and challenge you would bring to the game. And you dont even have to be that active, the game is set that you can get away with only 1 post every 15 days if you keep to yourself. If you want combat you'd probably need a bit of activity here and there but hey, thats a choice here, not a given.

You know you want too, you cant resist the Trade Fed, they call to you!

Offline Erasmar

• SWSF Member
« Reply #417 on: June 22, 2012, 11:53:15 AM »
Hmm, I crunched the numbers and Trade Fed can put together a better fleet in terms of damage over the Hapans by like 760 points, plus like 300x better ground troop numbers. But I like the SL opportunities of the Hapans better, so I'm on the fence. Really wish I could field more than one Battle Dragon and still be effective, but oh well.
Erasmar
SWSF Rogue

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #418 on: June 22, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »
Let me know what you'd like... I only developed spaceborne Hapan tech because I didn't think anybody would use them, but I could certainly throw in Star Home, plus some Hapan Honor Guard or some other kinda related ground unit just to make things more interesting. In terms of a Hero Unit... I could even make a specific one just for the HSC, like the "Prince" or whatever character you plan on using that could give you +1 CP right off the bat so you can field x3 Dragons and x3 Nova's which will get you 15 Starfighter Squadrons and 2220 Damage to boot... more than a match for the battle-hardened Trade Federation!

See all the dog bones I'm throwing you!?  :-*
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:06:50 PM by GCW Hale »
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #419 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:15 PM »
Perhaps you misunderstood the CP costs of ships but you could effectivly have 4 battle dragons in a fleet. A battle dragon is only 5CP. You get 23CP to use. Personally I would throw 1 CFC, 2 HBDs, and 2 extra squads of Hetrinars. Keep in mind, although the TF ships carry a horde of fighters, a couple squads of X-Wings will decimate them.

And it would be a Princess... Hapans have a Matriarchal society. A man would never be allowed to command a ship.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:07:18 PM by Ramano »