Author Topic: OOC Chat  (Read 794209 times)

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
Re: GCW: OOC
« Reply #870 on: July 21, 2012, 11:01:07 AM »
And yes I am aware of the irony of roleplaying a violent interstellar warring game :P

Offline Dementat

• SWSF Member
« Reply #871 on: July 21, 2012, 11:01:48 AM »
NY and Chicago defy your logic, Hop. Read some statistics. Do the wolves only pick off a sheep here and there when they don't defend themselves, or do they slaughter the herd?
(\/)ighty RE

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #872 on: July 21, 2012, 11:18:30 AM »
That is my point exactly though Dem. This is not how people act in a civilized nation. You want to be like that, might I suggest moving to Eastern Europe. Then you can have all the guns and explosives you want to "defend" yourself and your family. This is what im saying, you cant call yourself a civilized being, then claim to be willing to take life any time you feel a sense of danger. And unfortunately, if you are not a civilized being living in america, you are in fact part of the problem.

Now dont get me wrong, im not saying your a bad person. Im sure you and I could have one hell of a party together, and your smart enough to have an intellectual conversation with. However having a fire-arm does in no way prevent you from being a victim, and more often then not, creates more victims then would have happened had you just stood down.

Also, your whole argument Dem, is dependent upon the person your dealing with to be in a "right" state of mind. Lets be realistic, if you are staring down an armed gunman you didnt have time to get your gun out. And as we saw in that movie theater, by the time you would have known what was going on you'd have already had bullets inside of you, meaning your gun was again useless. However had you, and everyone else in the nation been told NO you cant have fire-arms, the chances of this happening at all drop by I believe the report was something like 6200%. Would it still happen, of course, shit happens, theres nothing anyone can do about that, there will always be bad people. But when even being in possession of a fire-arm is illegal, it gets real easy to point out who's carrying the gun for identification. Then you need only do what your ONLY choice would have been in the first place, which is to duck and cover until police can arrive. I mean seriously, if im going on a rampage, anyone in my vicinity with a gun is an automatic target simply because you pose a threat.

And again Dem, you are an exception to the rule, being a LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER! I already said you have to be allowed to own a gun. Its your job for fuck sake. And like I also said, you are not the average person, proven by being a law enforcement officer. You have training that the other 390 million people in america dont have, and have shown that your judgment is to be trusted. Also, I wasnt saying you should actually move out of the USA, I was just making a point.

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #873 on: July 21, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »
And on another point, if the police are so inept at protecting us that we have to all own guns to protect ourselves, why are we still paying all this money to have police in the first place? Seems like an unnecessary redundancy and a waste of money at that point...

Edit: Although I would be willing to entertain the argument that fine, lets just do away with the police then lol.

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #874 on: July 21, 2012, 11:22:02 AM »
I'm up in the air on the gun issue. On one hand, they do protect but only if you know how to use them properly. On the other, unless you are Daria, there is no way combat boots work with a skirt and a gun. Most weapons are heavy and loud. And I'm not necessarily keen on justifying murder with someone breaking in a house. True, they pose a threat but they may not want to harm you. But then again, what if they do? If you don't have a gun and they do, the odds are not in your favor. But if you do and they do not, it could be considered extreme.

Dem you can't seriously be thinking those people in the theater should have been packing heat to defend themselves? Concealed weapons permits for the general public is a horrendously bad idea. The public is fickle, stupid, and prone to falling into a mob mentality. If everyone had a weapon, we'd be blowing each other away left and right over perceived injustices.

Hard work is relative, Ramano. You can't compare people's lives like that, especially if you've never lived them. I don't dare assume I know what you are all about or what you go through on the daily. Being better than most at what I do got me where I am today and that position comes at a price. Relationships are sacrificed, schedules adjusted, planning offset - all for the sake of a rewarding career. These days everyone has to work in order to survive. ? 
Syren

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #875 on: July 21, 2012, 11:24:02 AM »
Also, I heard the police responding to the theater in something like, 90 seconds. I feel like it's a price and participation may vary sort of scenario.  :-*
Syren

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #876 on: July 21, 2012, 11:36:29 AM »
And syren, you do make a good point, however, I do kinda know what your life is all about. I wasnt always dirt poor living on a 24,000$ a year house hold income. I have relatives in Utah and Florida that are billionaires. Ive lived the high life and I know exactly what its all about. I know from experience that you think you worked for your position, and im sure you put in a LOT of hours and much sacrifice to achieve it, but the fact remains, without the millionaire back-drop able to move (read as pay for) you along, you wouldnt be where your at. People look at you differently because of your family, whether you like it or not. Back when I was 10yrs old, hell a bank would have given me a loan, cause mommy and daddy had over 100,000$ in that bank. I got my first car loan, and the mortgage for my house because of the business my family did with that bank back in the day. Never even ran a credit check on me, which I would have never gotten either had they done so. The only reason im poor now is because people in power will retain the power at the cost of everyone around them, which is why I hate people, and think they should all be exterminated like a virus. My great-grandmother had money above even what you know syren, and the thought of her daughters having to give away 300 million $ of that money upon her death to the REST OF THE FAMILY was just unacceptable as they would only have like 1.1 billion $ left. So using loopholes in the law, and PoA rights on a senile 103yr old woman, we all got nothing, and they refuse to even accept a phone call from anyone associated with the family anymore. So you would be wise to trust me that I know as much about your way of life as you do. The amount of work you do is irrelevant, its the name you carry with it.

And also syren, for being a fashionista you sure dont know how to pull of a look. If you cant pull of army boots and a gun its cause you have too much clothing on. Remove the skirt, switch to cammo-bikini and try again.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:38:53 AM by Ramano »

Offline Dementat

• SWSF Member
« Reply #877 on: July 21, 2012, 11:49:16 AM »
Ramano, you are operating on the false premise that people are civilized. You of all people, living between Detroit and Chicago, should understand this not to be the case. So why is it considered being uncivilized if I defend my family against a threat? Why capitulate to the aggressor on moral grounds if he is acting immorally?

Training is and should be required. Teach them young, teach them often.

Karen, places like Texas prove that widespread ownership does not lead to free-for-all gunfights in the streets. It is like the nuclear arms race. If everyone has it, everyone else will think twice about using theirs. A criminal values his life too, you know. Ask a criminal. They do not knowingly break into places where there is likely a firearm, they choose the weakest targets. Sort of how I pick my victims on the forum ;-)
(\/)ighty RE

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #878 on: July 21, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »
Actually Dem, most mass shooter dont care about their lives, thats why they are out shooting people to begin with, they feel their life no longer holds any value, and they just arnt coward enough to commit suicide. Thus, the go out in a hail of gunfire trying to kill as many people as possible with them. If they had no access to a gun, these events would drop drastically.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #879 on: July 21, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »
Lax Gun Control, finally something the Inmates and Prison Staff can agree upon  ;D

I never understood the idea that more people with guns (in public or at home) was going to curb gun violence.  People are reactionary. You'll just end up with more "crimes of passion" excuse nonsense or "he was wearing a hoodie so I stalked him like a predator, and it was part of God's plan" BS.

Granted I'll shoot anybody that comes in to my home unwelcome.  But I don't feel the need to wear a sidearm when going to the Mall or a summer city festival and I live in Detroit area.  And if the government could ever coax the military to invade my region, nothing I can buy legally is going to "repel firepower of that magnitude" anyways.  And I seem to have misplaced my Anarchists Cookbook unfortunately!  :-[
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:18:57 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #880 on: July 21, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »
Exactly, its like saying im going to kill the earth before the meteor hits so the people wont have to suffer through the meteor impact. It makes no sense! Fighting fire with fire only works on a forest fire.

Offline Dementat

• SWSF Member
« Reply #881 on: July 21, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »
That's fine, continue to live in your nanny state mentality. Government will protect you, lol. That has always worked out so well. Government is like the machines. They are great until they become self-aware. Then they victimize you for your "protection." As far as mass murder, name the last time someone went on a shooting spree where there were guns available. Columbine was a school, no guns allowed. Fort Hood? Hasan targeted an area of the base where guns were prohibited. Virginia Tech? School where guns are prohibited. Every postal office? Guns are prohibited in Federal buildings. NASCAR events? 0 shootings.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Ben Franklin

Edit: Haha, now they are talking about kids not being allowed to late showings or "R" rated films even with parent supervision. Awe, the ever growing list of things you CAN'T do.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:52:05 PM by Dementat »
(\/)ighty RE

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #882 on: July 21, 2012, 02:23:34 PM »
Yes Dem, but your talking having weapons in case you need to start a rebellion some day. In said situation, you will be able to find guns, even if they are outlawed. So no need to worry yourself of that. Trust me, I am waiting for the day the police force fails and we descend back into anarchy. And I am prepared to handle it, even if guns are outlawed, in fact, so much the better.

Edit: And in said situation explosives, which can be made from common house-hold chemicals work WAY better anyway. Im irish mother fucker, you dont want to argue with me about hosting rebellion, lmao!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:26:43 PM by Ramano »

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #883 on: July 21, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »
Relax, babe, no one is coming for your weapons. I'm not saying no one needs gun. I am saying that not everyone needs them. We need laws and people to enforce them. Otherwise, I give it a week before people are running around with war paint in their faces and people head's on a stick. And I don't know about you but I am so not built for a post apocalyptic society. I'm selfish that way. I like my pretty things.

And Ramano, you have a semi-point. In LA, my name did provide some openings. Okay, lots of them. My parents were wealthy and well-connected which paved a path not many others could afford. I will give you that. When I moved, I got cut off. Granted I got it all back once they died but that is beside the point. When I moved no one knew me here. My name meant nothing. Their names meant nothing. All I had were my wits and thankfully, a entry level job I have interviewed for over the phone and got when I met them in person. The rest I did myself. I made my own name in this industry which proves if you want it badly enough and work like a slave to get it, it can be yours. I made my own dreams come true.
Syren

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #884 on: July 21, 2012, 03:20:04 PM »

Nascar and Franklin?  Come on man, you're not even taking the discussion seriously at this point if that's what you're hanging your hat on.  A gathering of rednecks and a 250yr old quote.  what's next? justifying gentrification and genocide with biblical passages?  ;)

Based on available statistics the only countries with a higher firearm murder rate per 100,000 capita than the USA. . .

South Africa, Columbia, El Salvador, Jamaica, Honduras, Guatemala, Swaziland, Brazil, Estonia, Panama, Mexico

According to Gunpolicy.org, all of them except Jamaica provide for civilian gun ownership at varying levels of restriction from licensing and renewal to background checks and competency tests.

Most of these countries have internal stability issues, drug wars, widespread poverty, partially third world, etc.  What's our excuse? ;p

BUT, just wait until you see the NR Gun Policy on Coruscant when we return  :D    Tarkin would be rolling in his grave if he weren't reduced to space dust!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 03:24:37 PM by Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death