Author Topic: The Acolyte (**Spoilers**)  (Read 10030 times)

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • Let the rabbits wear glasses
Re: The Acolyte (**Spoilers**)
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2024, 07:58:56 PM »
"kids genitals" is now part of the SWSF algorithim for search returns.  Thanks Sev =P

Episode 7 was good standalone tale and to tighten the story up even, the jedi masters dispositions and actions when confronted by Mae or their circumstances (Kalnaccas isolation) are all entirely clarified.  Cool we got to see the survey team beginning of it all and the Vergance investigation explanation.  Hyperspace Disaster ref egg was sweet.

Who knows Sols background.  Individuals give up every other natural instinctual life path to become Jedi, they can't have families, the whole Jedi focus on indoctrinating Children is even more interesting in that context, they can't have families, so sometimes they have to destroy other families to make theirs.  Whaaaaat.

Sols perceived fixation on the twins in that light could be a little cleaner.  But he was the first to see the twins in woods and that was quite unexpected and he saw what he perceived to be abuse on a couple instances, so he felt compelled to 'save' them in his way.

The full story of the Brendok coven is interesting.  I was glad to see all the other witches have personality and their own desires and wills.  The vergance that drew the jedi there likely drew them there?  Or were they part of the vergance that caused all the life, that would make sense since they created human life with the force as well..

EDIT

After a second watch, wow.  What a collapse of team cohesion for both the Jedi Team and the Coven, with disastrous outcome.  Intentional or not, part of the story here is the corruptive nature of ALL Force Use.

We need a Midichlorian Inquisition!  Stomp out ALL practitioners of these foul arts manipulating the fabric of natural balance.

Anyone notice the credits song?  the hook references, "Power of Two".  No idea who it is or what genre it really qualifies as but was just of tickling note.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 09:36:32 AM by SWSF Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2024, 02:41:45 PM »
I liked the closing credits song although there were complaints the "modern" choice took them out of the SW universe. I thought it worked well but did go against the typical which can be refreshing.

Everyone was a mess in this! So many actions are based on incomplete information and assumptions. On rewatch, I blamed Indara less (for the mission overall) and felt more anger toward Sol and Torbin, since they were constantly undermining her with their bullshit. I still think her glazing over their part in what happened is part of their overarching issue as an order. They want to do right but don't want to look bad doing it? Fighting for justice is going to earn you some enemies but, judging by their interactions with politicians, I see they must navigate that delicately to build a coalition for support. Like all things political, that can be manipulated and/or bought.

Something else that popped for me - we never saw Indara's conversation with the council. If they were like, stop messing with them kiddos and leave them alone then show up with one, wtf? Either she never spoke to them and unilaterally vetoed their dumb plan or she and Vernestra (who is tied to the hyperspace disaster and all fallout from it) plotted to keep that vergance under wraps.

I also saw someone reference a quote from the Jedi early in the season - do not believe your eyes, they can deceive you. This could all be intentional misdirect to reinforce the point that what we see and/or believe is not always founded upon solid ground.
Syren

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2024, 05:25:40 PM »
thats interesting some cite the removal from SW feeling- It didn't take me out of SW story but the modernity kind of made me think of Andor, could easily be playing in back ground somewhere he shows up in some public venue to meet a contact.

Indara- when they have escaped to the ship at the end and Osha is on oxygen, Indara cuts in to them fairly deep I thought, blaming the whole debacle on Sol and Torbs.

I'm struggling with whether Torb or Sol is the weaker link that doomed the team.  Torb is the inlet in the confrontation but Sol creates the circumstance to begin with. 

Leave Twins Alone! - I would lean more towards a calculated decision by Vernestra to keep a lid on it?  The idea that it didn't happen and was simnply Indaras lie of necessity seems too far removed from the need of plot links yet.

"Do not believe your eyes, they can decieve you" -  There's hope yet that Qimir is a Muun and actually Plageuis =D    or Plagueis being his hidden master..
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 10:27:05 PM by SWSF Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline gallpizi

• SWSF Member
  • Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.
    • Coruscant Pulse Podcast
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2024, 12:58:38 PM »
I came here to read thoughts...

And found talking about politics.

-sigh-
Simming on the SWSF in AOL since 1999.
Let's bring back the glory days!

Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2024, 11:21:06 AM »
Huh - they actually tied that together better than I thought they would.

Some thoughts:

If they are the same then both could technically be the Acolyte singular. That same principle could be applied to killing a Jedi without a weapon. The task would have been considered complete regardless of which one did it. I found it satisfying to watch Osha give in as she could not process all that grief and rage - Sol may have said he was doing the right thing but carrying guilt, which those four Jedi clearly did, says otherwise. He got what was coming to him, in my opinion. They all did.

What up, Darth P?! At this point, he would have still been Tenebrous's apprentice, no? Seemingly looking for his own as Qimir is looking for an acolyte. We know Sideous had several apprentices, trying them all on (i.e. manipulating them) to fit different situations until Anakin was ready to go. Would stand to reason that others would shop around as well, seeing which apprentice fit their means best. The vibe I got here (aside from the rule of two thing) is that the Sith are lonely and while they seek someone to teach/train, it also reads as a need for companionship/connection/attachment...something they will eventually destroy.

Figured they would pin this on Sol but did not expect Vernestra to lean into that shit so heavily or methodically. Spinning that story to the Senators was cold-blooded but apparently necessary to maintain their positions of reverence and power. That senator called them out though, the dangers of hero worship, a real 'who's watching the watchmen' moment. That 'certain point of view' statement has far-reaching implications for them as they believe they are doing what they must in the name of order and justice...not realizing they are equally morally compromised and hypocritical since they are now very obviously attached to their power and legacy. Tsk, tsk.

The Qimir conundrum. A former pupil, that much was stated but, anyone else find the interaction between Vernestra and dead Sol a bit...intimate? Could Qimir be not only a pupil but a son? She is significantly older than she looks and Qimir did imply he was as well. I dunno, I got vibes there.

Osha giving up Mae and accepting Qimir's offer to be trained landed for me. Through him, she sees a way to channel those emotions and the turn feels earned because she had been operating on incomplete information her whole life. Mae knew the truth and was, in some ways, used to turn Osha, leading her to this conclusion.

Lastly, Yoda. If this is meant to imply that Vernestra goes to him with this and he helps conceal it then he would be just as complicit in the Jedi's fate all those years later. The fallen pupil turned to evil is a pretty big thread although perhaps "fallen" may not necessarily equate to becoming a Sith in their eyes, considering they were believed nonexistent. Either she lies to Yoda as well or this adds a much more nefarious layer to the Jedi's motives throughout the High Republic leading into their fall and return of the Sith.

While the season felt choppy and uncertain at times, the last episode finally hit the right notes (acting, pacing, etc.) which could serve as both a contained story or setup for further adventures.

Syren

Offline gallpizi

• SWSF Member
  • Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.
    • Coruscant Pulse Podcast
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2024, 03:44:05 PM »
So my friends and I watched this together.

I am very conflicted by many things related to this.

First and foremost. I enjoyed the series overall but felt this episode was meh.

Secondly, I feel like the Jedi come off as the bad guys. I am happy about this. They aren't good all the time. 

Overall I am here for it. Give me more Star Wars, more often. 
Simming on the SWSF in AOL since 1999.
Let's bring back the glory days!

Co-Host: Coruscant Pulse Podcast.

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2024, 04:11:18 PM »
Another thing I wonder...who was Vernestra speaking to on the com in that conference room? Sounded sus. She did say it was highly unorthodox. Could she have been summoning Master Yoda? Or plotting with someone else?

As many things as I am delighted to see brought to life, nothing compares (yet) to the last 4 minutes of R1. I had spent my whole life up to that point wondering where she was coming from, knowing that we (the audience) began in the middle of a story. We were missing context and perspective. Rewatching it still gives me chills every single time.

Syren

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2024, 10:55:21 PM »
Agreed 1000% Ep 8 tied everything together nicely but also clearly laid out the whole point of the series in concept and tie in to the larger saga with reveal of Plagueis watching on from cave.  Very satisfying ending of the immediate story and set up for the unresolved.  Acolyte is part of the Plagueis story and thereby part of Sidious' and Skywalkers'.

I dunno about a broad feel but my news feed "buzz" on Acolyte after end of S1 immediately flipped from how terrible it was getting reviewed to how immediate the demand for S2 was.

Sols demise was very pleasing.  What a great turning point for Osha.  She killed a sociopath who murdered her mother and manipulated her to live an utter lie.  The darkside doesn't get any greyer than that, yet the company we keep..

S2 is all but assured with that Plagueis reveal.  It was much bigger and more important to the ultimate plot than the Yoda tease.

Acolyte Favs
Character - Bazil the Tynnan Tracker
Moment - Plagueis reveal duh

Final Acolyte S1 Note:
Sol was a terrible Jedi. Vernestra is not looking great so far either.

Andor S2, Ahsoka S2, Acolyte S2.    The futures so bright, I gotta wear shaaades.

I just rewatched Ahsoka this past weekend.  Already enjoyed but opinion greatly improved.  Was supposed to be building a LEGO castle but was too captivated.

Also rewatched R1 this past weekend.  Agree that the final moments are apex.

Fav Series Overall: Andor
Fav Movie: Solo
Fav Moment: R1 Final Moment Vader Rampage to Leia "Hope" Reveal
Fav Character or Group: Syril and Dedra    OR    Gorian Shards Pirate Gang and ship from Mando S3

Of note, seeing Thrawn in Ahsoka was not as wildly awesome as I had imagined it might have been.  It was well done and cool but just didn't occupy the place in my heart compared to some other things.

The Ahsoka Rewatch brought some interesting tie ins with some of the stuffin Acolyte..

when Elsbeth recieves the gift from the Great Mothers, 'the gift of shadows' or something they call it, her eyes turn solid glazed black

when Mother Aniseya takes Torbins mind his eyes go solid glazed black

when Qimir tries to help Osha remove the mask, his eyes go solid glazed black

implying a mingling of the powers/knowledge of the force of all three sources
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 06:19:27 PM by SWSF Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death