Author Topic: Book of Boba Fett  (Read 24204 times)

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
Re: Book of Boba Fett
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 08:37:53 PM »
The thing about Lucas they cant replicate is its HIS vision. Everything he did, he saw it in his head first. Then made it come to life through cinematography. He didnt care about budgets, production quotas, or time frames. It wasnt about the money.

Disney is nothing but money. It exists only as marketshare and liquidity. They have no vision, they have no creativity, they just make money. No heart, no soul, only a budget with mobility. The only thing left magical about the Magic Kingdom is that it still exists at all.

So yeah, i wouldnt expect much from this franchise in the future unless your a fan of Michael Bay movies. (All explosions, no substance)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 08:41:04 PM by Ramano »

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 10:15:57 PM »

Oh come on now.  It's all a division of pining for nostalgic allure or accepting that the original feeling is related to a time and place in life more so than the object itself.

Lucas made Ep I, II and II, did they measure to Ep IV, V and VI for any of us who grew up on IV-VI? No.  You can pull any number of seeming stupidities out of IV, V and VI if you really wanted, but it's got a nostalgic force field around it protecting it from the same valid critiques of everything that came after.

I don't expect anything to make me feel like a rebel soldier looking through macrobinoculars upon a lumbering ATAT in the snowy distance ever again, and I'm fine with that.  I just want some immersion. BoBF is getting that part of it done.

I will agree that R1 is prob my fav live action material since Disney.  Clone Wars Season 7 was really good and I liked Rebels a lot and Mando was awesome.  I like Solo also.  
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 11:07:52 PM »
Ok, so I do not disagree with you there on the nostalgia bit but the swell of the binary sunset/skywalker theme gets me every. single. time. Right in the feels. Is it tied to that initial feeling/memory/place in time? Perhaps. But there is something more as well, something that I think connects all of us who love SW in whatever capacity. Not all sagas resonate with all people but this one did. Diminishing that connection for a cash grab feels cheap. No story or movie is perfect but I think the fans really yearn for something that honors that in new and different ways. Not all are successful in that and therefore I understand the outrage. 

Syren

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2022, 04:31:51 AM »
Actually outside of the gungans, i didnt mind I and III. II did suck though. Was definitely not Hoth thats for sure. But this new stuff, you can just feel the cash grab. Shotty writing, lazy choreography, just a bunch of big special effects. Which in and of itself wouldnt be bad, but for StarWars it requires more. More what, could be any number of things, but none of which will be cared about by Disney. Its a shame but what can ya do?

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2022, 03:26:02 PM »
  Everything is a cash grab in entertainment or production and it has to be because if it doesn't make a shit ton of money its considered a failure.  Somewhere in there we hope for a little sanctity for art or a few systems to slip through their fingers.

Ep VII-IX were rough and I'll probably never watch them again by my own hand.

The rest of it, I either enjoy for what it is or love it.

Almost everything I can think of done by Filoni I've enjoyed, he is definitely a hardcore fan, and I have not been let down by Favreau in totality at all yet.

But arguably, aside from the original creators in Lucas/McQuarrie/Williams, Filoni has contributed more to the SW Galaxy/Universe than any.

NEW THOUGHT SLIGHTLY MORE ON NICHE TOPIC..

It just dawned on me..

The Book of Boba Fett.

I don't think it's just a story name.  My good buddy Jon would not do that.  So perhaps, regarding the character Boba Fett himself up to this point in the series, there has to be a Book coming in to play for him between now and end of season.  Maybe that Book will make it all feel more on key and make us be like "Daaaaamn, Jon saved Boba!"

Maybe. Shrug
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 06:40:06 PM by SWSF Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 02:35:33 PM »
I think you might be misinterpreting what i mean when i say "cash grab". I mean, i recognize that all of it is done with the intention of making money. What i mean is when they dump filth preying off the name. Projects that had no effort or care put into them, only produced as franchise filler. For A New Hope, Lucas reshot literally every scene until they got it "right". Disney, they dont even care, just get it done so it fits in our every 6 months launch window. And you can see the sloppiness of it. 

<shrugs> Im just off on a tangent cause i really dislike the Disney corporation. As Gollum said "Stupid fat hobbits, you ruins it!"

Offline Medivh

• SWSF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 04:15:51 PM »
I think you might be misinterpreting what i mean when i say "cash grab". I mean, i recognize that all of it is done with the intention of making money. What i mean is when they dump filth preying off the name. Projects that had no effort or care put into them, only produced as franchise filler. For A New Hope, Lucas reshot literally every scene until they got it "right". Disney, they dont even care, just get it done so it fits in our every 6 months launch window. And you can see the sloppiness of it.

<shrugs> Im just off on a tangent cause i really dislike the Disney corporation. As Gollum said "Stupid fat hobbits, you ruins it!"
But Disney also owns Marvel, and while not every MCU film is great, their continuity overall, most of the individual films are decent quality.
([][:][][][DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Medivh
SWSF: Legacy of the Force
May the Force be with you

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 04:34:40 PM »

I get you. I can't say there haven't been missteps but for me that's been mostly exclusive to the final trilogy.

I tried but couldn't get in to MCU, but I respect the hell out of what they've done and it's epic proportion. 

No super hero film set exceeds Tim Burtons Batmans.
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2022, 07:42:19 PM »
MCU for the most part i dont like. But i never got into comics either. I like ironman, so anything with him in it im ok with, the rest i could take it or leave it. Loki was good, credit where credit is due, but most of their series stuff just sucks. Political statements with a $100 million budget.

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2022, 10:26:12 PM »
So..this was the Mandalorian but Book of Boba Fett? Yet Bobes never even made a cameo. Made me miss Mando, that raspy ass voice, and sullen attitude. So emo. He needs to get laid. 

And, for the love of gods, did I just watch the beginnings of the goddamn pod race? I had literal flashbacks to my shock and horror watching that shit as a late teen in the theater. 

Right now, Shand and Mando are the most interesting things on BoBF. He needs to step it up and get a personality and a worthy quest stat. 
Syren

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2022, 12:32:01 PM »
I've been rereading the Dark Horse Boba Fett Omnibus that compiles most all BF centric stories from the DH era.

In doing so, it's interesting to see a mix both of the Din Djarin/Mando persona and the Book of Boba as we know him now, personalities of him expressed in that tome.

They shouldn't be letting anyone besides Cam Kennedy illustrate SW though.  Wow.  I've always been very familiar with his TOTJ and Dark Empire work but seeing him do Boba Fett tales is awesome.

Episode 5 was decent.  Intrigued to see what Mando and Boba together looks like.  If anything negative to say, I'm just annoyed that it was deemed acceptable to reference sexuality between humans and jawas but it was necessary to drop the name of Bobas Firespray for fear of offending those unable to separate word use in one reference to the same word use in another.

I've already accidentally heard a couple spoilers for Ep 6 which I will catch tonite, but it sounds like the brief 'break' in Ep 5 will not be a moaning point for the BoBF haters after.
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 11:02:33 AM »
Um, holy shit. That escalated quickly. Solid. Will not spoil but yeah. Wow. 
Syren

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2022, 11:03:16 AM »
Great GREAT episode.  I actually rewatched it immediately.

Is already chatter of eventual temple spin off series.

I disassociate myself with all previous light critical reviews of this series.  In Favreau MCU fashion, it's all going to be connected and a series title does not constrain the scope of the story it's telling.
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Starjunx

• SWSF Member
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2022, 05:13:12 PM »
I wish his skin was a deeper blue... but I'd be lying if I said that wasn't awesome.  

Syren, you said previously "Now, I have not watched everything related - Rebels, Clone Wars, etc. - so maybe they cover it"  I hope you have tried to correct!  I personally did not watch either until both shows were complete.  Clone Wars was definitely a slow burn, but solid payoff.  Ahsoka is easily my favorite character in all of Star Wars now, despite never existing when we imagined our worlds.  (unrelated: I may or may not have an Ahsoka ultrasaber...)  Beyond that, while I preferred the original Zahn trilogy it is now considered Legends.  The new trilogy is pretty good and includes elements of what you are looking for, but perhaps not the whole enchilada.  I listened to them on audible along with the Ahsoka novel, they used the same voice actors which was excellent.

Eidolon, I agree the shows scope is questionable.  The Boba Fett parts have been less than spectacular.  However, I'm willing to go with it wherever it leads because Filoni and Favreau have not let me down so far.

Fuck, I can't believe that I'm still talking about this shit almost 30 years later... I miss you guys more than I'd like to admit.

Offline Syren

• Queen of the Holodrama
  • SWSF Member
  • That bitch.
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2022, 10:05:14 PM »
Well. 

That was quite possibly the most fun I've had with a SW property in years. Really pulled out the stops in these last three after a sluggish and meandering start. 

No spoilers til others have a chance to view and digest but that mid-credits scene made me very happy. 

Wheeeeeee!
Syren