Author Topic: Questions and Answers  (Read 13648 times)

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
Questions and Answers
« on: February 03, 2021, 08:12:38 PM »
1. Do "Support Units" for a planetary system include SFs and Aux or just Vehicles and Troops? (There is no wording suggesting SF/Aux cant be used currently).

2. Will there/could there be a "depot" facil for storing units? I am working up a mock with Eid to mimic the battle of Hoth. The goal is to just rescue the ground units and evacuate. But if there is nowhere to store units, if I had a medium transport nearby, there'd be nowhere to offload its default load?

2a. What if only Heavy Capitals carry Troops/Vehicles onboard permanently? Small Caps, Aux, etc have to pick them up (borrow them from planetary garrisons) and can only carry them to and from battles, not indefinitely?

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 08:29:20 PM »
1. Anything other than a capital ship is a support unit, so you could have a blend of SF, AUX, GAV, and INF as the PDF. This can help you balance your PDF, because in all likelihood we're probably going to see 1 Light CAP per system as a sentry... so it will need some help in space, especially at Outposts.

2. So if you play it smart, you can put a few AUX transport ships on PDF or use your capital ship to do evacuation assistance... or conversely, reinforcement (e.g. you can fully load a GR75, then keep it in orbit on PDF and when the bad guys come you can drop additional troops beyond the PDF limit -OR- you can keep an empty GR75 in orbit to land and gather troops). It takes a solid 3 turns to get from the X-grid to G-grids, so there is plenty of time to evacuate if you're worried you can't win a defensive battle. I suppose we could introduce a "depot" facility, but I think if you can creatively utilize capital ships and AUX, you can effectively handle a Battle of Hoth situation with the existing units.

2a/3. I think that's too micro-managing. Resupply is an assumed component of this game.
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 10:30:53 PM »
It occures to me the battledroid for the TF has no way to be mass deployed thus negating the entire point to its use. Otherwise its a very weak unit for which its cost does not justify its use in comparison with other ground units.

As a suggestion i would submit a slight dam/dur increase, say up to 30/30 to justify their use and allowing an ability that they can be carried 2 to 1 on transports to give them their ability to be mass deployed. For example an MTT could hold 4 units of battle droids instead of only 2 conventional troops.

Also, no droidekas?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 10:34:52 PM by Ramano »

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • Let the rabbits wear glasses
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 10:52:20 PM »

2a. What if only Heavy Capitals carry Troops/Vehicles onboard permanently? Small Caps, Aux, etc have to pick them up (borrow them from planetary garrisons) and can only carry them to and from battles, not indefinitely?

On this note I would say that if I was RA/NR (my only experience yet in FP) I would say that I wouldn't have a practice of keeping my ground invasion force in their RMTs unless i was taking them somewhere because they would be very vulnerable to attack.  Hell if you showed up where my RMTs were, I would land/disembark even if my whole fleet was there =)

Imagine your 2 Carracks at Kamino from awhile back.  If they could have got shots at my RMTs, the 2 would certainly have smoked 1 maybe 2 in one go and my landing force would be crippled before boots on ground
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 10:54:12 PM by SWSF Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 08:19:03 AM »
Good point with the Battle Droids.

Per the story of this sim, this is a "new and improved" TF, and so it's not a carbon copy of the Clone Wars TF. There are no need for Droidekas when you have Mandalorians.

At any rate, I think I have enough suggestions and inputs to begin working on the 2.0 rules. I don't want to add too much more as the whole point of this game was to keep it streamlined.
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 05:54:20 PM »
<huffs and mumbles> but mandalorians arent as cool as droidekas. Lol

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 08:11:04 PM »