Author Topic: Mocha III Talk  (Read 22867 times)

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
Mocha III Talk
« on: February 02, 2021, 01:37:56 PM »
Regarding bombardment,

What id orbital bombardment on anything but facilities resulted in lowering the rating of the planet? So you would only do that if you want scorched earth, less value, etc.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
Re: Mocha III Talk
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 03:42:39 PM »
  I think embracing the notion of territorial conquest being an ingrained point of the game helps.

Yes space battle is a grand ole time, it is also the prelude to actually getting control of the territory in question.

Capturing Prize ships is cool enough, as Ram brings the concept up in his angle/desires.  When it comes to Opposing
Facils, I go back to a thought I raised earlier today..

Capture the Flag.  The planet is the flag, only ground units can capture the flag.  The goal is to get your troops through to the ground and fight and win there.  This in no way takes away from our glamorous space combat, in fact if you ask me, it makes it more strategic and tactical because you're not just trying to destroy opposing ships- you're trying to keep them from getting landing craft/troops/gavs to the planet.

So just have a blurp in regulation about the ground game.

The name of the game is capturing planets.  When your troops have eliminated all enemy units and facilities on a planet, victory is yours.  The space battle is immediately truncated, all opposing ships automatically withdraw to a friendly planet. (this eliminates the common practice of Fight to the Death when it comes to capships, now your capship value is not only in its combat strength alone, but it's ability to land troops and support that endeavor)

When victory is achieved, the winning player who now 'owns' the relative planet gets 1 free facil to restablish there (as long as there was at least 1 opposing facil there you took out).  No more no less.

I like it myself for reasons listed above as well as increased structure/order.

Along this line you could go further and create different Battle Types or Objectives.  So you get to a planet to begin your attack, is it a "Raid" or is it an "Invasion" ?  If an Invasion, then the above dynamics could apply for ground combat.  If it is a Raid, then that regulation is ignored and just business as regular.  You could turn it in to an Invasion de jure and win sure, but you don't get the benefit of the Truncated Space Battle as would be the case when you won the ground if you had declared your operation as an Invasion in the first place.

So you got your choice,  is your attack a Raid or an Invasion?   Invasion regulation would put the most weighted value on the ground battle outcome.  Raid regulation would put the most weighted value on the space battle (i.e. maybe you're trying to kill a platform or just capture some ships for fun, maybe a successful Raid operation gives you some kind of currency/value)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 03:49:15 PM by SWSF Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 05:10:04 PM »
But again, whats to stop me from just shooting from orbit and landing my troops leisurely after all yours are dead?

However, i must point out that in the rules it states if you destroy a facility with OB it CAN NOT be rebuilt. So while i agree with you on the reasoning. If we can OB troops, there wont be ground battle. But what would be the point in doing it with these rules other than griefing other players? 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 05:13:13 PM by Ramano »

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 05:40:06 PM »
The rules don't permit OB of troops.

There is also the idea that the troops on the planet are not stacked into a single compound with a big target, but are spread over the planet in various cities and locales. So the idea of bombarding them means you'd have to glass the whole planet just to be sure.

The "ground battle" itself is just an abstraction.
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 06:38:19 PM »
do your thing frontal lobe!
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 11:26:32 PM »
So the idea of bombarding them means you'd have to glass the whole planet just to be sure.
Remember who youre talking to here. Lmao!!

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 08:27:27 AM »
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline Ramano

• SWSF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 11:32:13 AM »
I mean, were it my choice, id just reduce the planet to an asteroid belt and mine it for resources. Just saying, i can build space stations to live on. Planets are for eating.

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 11:56:18 AM »
Hale, do want one of us to pick up the TF in Mocha III Moch?

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 02:16:48 PM »
Nah. But honestly, I don't think I need to post.

TF units will hit back, ISD will land more units and hit back, etc.

I just wanted to do a complete "invasion" post so everyone can see how it looks.

Something I could have done with the invasion force was nuke the Fortress or Armoy, as this would eliminated the defense bonuses, but apart from that, there's no much else to do.

Does anyone have any questions?

We could always make ground battles more complicated, but I think the space battle is enough complication for our game. I like the idea of the ground battle being a "capture the flag" scenario, and so the space battle is basically the "opening" and "meta-game" to the ground battle's "end game" to use chess talk. 
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 02:25:55 PM »

We could always make ground battles more complicated, but I think the space battle is enough complication for our game. I like the idea of the ground battle being a "capture the flag" scenario, and so the space battle is basically the "opening" and "meta-game" to the ground battle's "end game" to use chess talk.

*A Rousing Applesauce*
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 02:27:09 PM »
If we don't make ground mirror space, I think we should simplify it further... if its just a matter of boots on the ground... isnt it a forgone conclusion? Why be put through the tedium of building those huge posts over and over... maybe it can be reduced to fromula. Depending on the score, you either win with few losses or win with many losses or its a tie and we literally roll the dice :P

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 02:29:12 PM »
By score I mean scoring each unit, comparing the sum of those to the enemy, and seeing what it looks like. Win by > 25% and you only lose 50% of units. win 1-25% you suffer 75% losses but win, i dunno.

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 02:30:18 PM »
THAT BEING SAID - i would vote for ground combat being as tactical as space, and make it about occupying key positions. So if you capture the capitol, even if enemy troops remain, you are in power. Under seige, but in power. Likewise, capture a facility the enemy loses it.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 02:54:30 PM »
I wouldn't mind a sep ground grid maybe. A column and row or two smaller than space perhaps.

Same 'Entry' dynamic though as Space, 1 large X space that connects to several regular size spaces.

We could set up a Battle of Hoth as a mock test of it eventually. ;p   *sim boner*
~J
SWSF 'til Death