Author Topic: The High Republic  (Read 13199 times)

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
The High Republic
« on: February 28, 2020, 03:51:41 PM »
Y'all seen this?

Trailer for the new story-world that Disney is cooking up.

Meanwhile I'm over here like... "they should have led with this...."

Maybe we'll get to see Jedi Knight Yoda in this timeline.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:58:12 PM by SWSF Hale »
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline EmperorSeverus

• Nostalgia
  • SWSF Member
EMPEROR SEVERUS
IMPERIAL GALACTIC EMPIRE - RESURRECTED

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
Re: The High Republic
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 05:36:27 PM »
My second thought was "fuck, should we launch a High Republic themed sandbox sim now?"
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 07:32:27 PM »

Im not opposed.  This is pretty close to the Jedi Centric sim I've always yearned and campaigned for in the TOTJ vein.

I have weaned myself off of weekly/monthly comic subscriptions, but High Republic is going to suck me back in to the shop.

We would def need to have a rule set/RPGish function for dueling between jedi characters.  Powers, Saber skill etc.
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 05:04:51 PM »
Well what's sort of f'd up about the whole situatch is that most of us are planning on playing some Jedi-oriented character for Episode X.

If we were to spin up a High Republic RPG, it's possible we could suck in some new members looking to scratch that itch. Just sayin.

Either way, I'd only really have time for one RPG. So, decisions.
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 09:20:42 AM »
I could readjust my things, everything is very much in the incubation phase and can be shifted to work in another timeline. Assuming I ever actually write anything at all.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 10:16:40 AM »

I'm def only interested in 1, but either works for me!

Episode X maybe feels like we are inventing and filling in alot and have to create whole setting

HR feels like we are working off preserved knowns and allows more character story focus

If I had to vote, HR, esp if we can have a formal system of jedi doing battle with one another.  No ships n shit, but forcie vs forcie. *whisper* diiiiiice

Think die rolling broke here ATM tho
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 12:32:14 PM »
I would also be slightly more interested in HR, and making this more focused specifically on everyone's force character and dueling as the story lines cross.

For the battling, if you can come up with a rule system for how it would work, I can look into the dice on the forum/app side of things.

Offline SWSF Hale

• FP Game Master
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 06:08:28 PM »
Another consideration for HR is that we can rely on the Big Corporate Machine to do the world-building stuff for us, and we can simply slide in.
LUCIDIUS HALE
STAR WARS SIMMING FORUM

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 07:00:33 PM »
  Here's the relevant articles my Wookiee diving turned up.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Great_Disaster

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Starlight_Beacon

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The_High_Republic:_Light_of_the_Jedi

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The_High_Republic:_Into_the_Dark

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The_High_Republic:_A_Test_of_Courage

The 'Threat' facing the Jedi and the Force is still pretty vague though.

So in terms of letting The Mouse do the world-building, are we talking about waiting until August when this stuff starts to roll out to know more and taking much our whole premise directly?  Or are we talking about sorta improvising and just borrowing the Era roughly?

One rough thought that pops in my head..

Ignore Great Disaster, say we are placing our timeline shortly before that happens so we aren't overlapping/tied to the vague Threat referenced.  Maybe Starlight Beacon is JUST christened/completed.  Start with 2 'Legal' locations to begin at with all player characters..  Coruscant simply because Jedi Temple or Starlight Beacon, or perhaps even force all jedi chars to begin at Starlight Beacon or something.

And go.  Just a rough concept first offering tho
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:12:06 PM by SWSF Eidolon »
~J
SWSF 'til Death

Offline SWSF Hoppus

• Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 09:04:48 AM »
My only concern with the HR stuff is getting our own stuff going while it is still being released and then running into inconsistency, etc. Going forward 100 years gives us a room to be especially creative. World build as it fits our stories when needed and so on, etc.

I think I actually prefer to stick to our proposed start rather than jump back.

And also I think it would be cool to incorporate some sort of dueling system into our original time line as we have a lot of force stuff going on.

Offline SWSF Eidolon

• Space Pope
  • Administrator
  • SWSF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 01:11:29 PM »

I definitely see the value of your point regarding the distance and especially for our own creativitity.  There's almost always some sort of potential clash of 'Canon' with everything we go with and characters to worry about wiping away and such, except for with the Episode X concept.

While I do really like HR, it is perhaps better to leave it for what it is- just a real cool new canon Era that will be around and defined in 5 months.  If we start trying to build around it, we are going to inevitably contradict.

A cool forcie dueling system would of course fit in to any original timeline or canon piggy-backed era.  Once HR material is more shaped, any dueling system we had by then made and played with in Episode X could of course be easily carried over.  Or even utilized in separate cooperative storylines etc.  A universal dueling system of some sort could actually really add such a great level to the Forum in all applications.

~J
SWSF 'til Death